PDA

View Full Version : Coversports Boat Covers has a website!

east tx skier
03-23-2011, 01:23 PM
So I have posted pictures of my boat cover that Brent at Coversports made for my boat ad nauseum and I won't do it again here. But he finally has a website and it looks like he is doing some covers for MasterCraft.

Not a paid spokesman. But I am extremely happy with my cover and like to promote businesses that put out quality product.

The Pro Cover (http://theprocover.com/)

epnault
03-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Looks like a nice cover. I like my mastercraft one but it is a bit of a pain putting the over on when it is in the water. I wish they made them for the X series boats.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-23-2011, 01:36 PM
That is a great looking cover. I like that there is no pole to deal with.

supturb89
03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
What would be the differences that would not allow them to make one for a 95-96 Prostar 205? I'm needing a new cover pretty bad and those look great.

ttu
03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
doug, is coversports the old "evolution covers"? if they are they do make covers that go around towers and can do the x series.

east tx skier
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Looks like a nice cover. I like my mastercraft one but it is a bit of a pain putting the over on when it is in the water. I wish they made them for the X series boats.

I'm sure he will, you will just have to provide measurements. The boats listed are the ones he already has patterns for. Interestingly, my boat isn't listed, but it's the same model as the one on his old business cards.

east tx skier
03-23-2011, 03:28 PM
doug, is coversports the old "evolution covers"? if they are they do make covers that go around towers and can do the x series.

No. Cory of Evolution and Brent of Coversports both used to work at Rankin. Several years ago, before Ranking went under, they both left and formed their own companies. At that time, Brent had the CC patterns and Cory had the Malibu patterns. When I was looking for a cover, Cory referred me to Brent.

east tx skier
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
What would be the differences that would not allow them to make one for a 95-96 Prostar 205? I'm needing a new cover pretty bad and those look great.

From the patterns he lists, he should have no problem doing either a 95 or 96 since he lists 94 (same as 95) and 97 (same as 96).

Shooter McKevin
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for posting about the website Eastie.

I haven't bothered to call Cover Sports about a cover because I was under the impression they didn't do MC (and they didn't have a website). Now I'm pumped I might finally be able to get the cover I want. I've sent Brent an email. Hopefully I hear back soon.

Obviously his pattern list needs a little work because similar to the 205's, he has the 98/99 PS 190 listed but not the 2000 (that I need). As far as I know they are the same right? I know the hull is the same, but does anyone know if there were any changes to the deck or windshield?

east tx skier
03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
The deck on the 2000 190 should be the same as 98 and 99. I just got an email from him today (I had sent him one earlier complimenting him on the website. My info on him doing MCs was based on not really knowing what he had patterns for. I can vouch for the product. I am glad to see he is doing well. I just hope he doesn't get too swamped. One great thing about my transaction was that I had my cover in under a month from the date he got my money. Compared to what I'd heard about Rankin's wait time, that was lightening fast.

jakethebt
05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
The link does not seem to work?

east tx skier
05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I noticed that recently. They're still going strong. Brent is just not much of a webmaster. Phone has always been a better way to reach him.

jakethebt
05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
OK... so does anyone have his phone number?

east tx skier
05-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Try (425) 491-9641.

jakethebt
05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the number Doug!

What material are these covers made from?

DavidMCX30
05-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Cory made the cover for my Mastercraft X-30. I love it. High quality craftsmanship. The pole-less system is fantastic. Corey was also very helpful in fixing a few issues...he was very dedicated to getting it right. Highly recommend him. Sounds like Brent does great work too.

east tx skier
05-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the number Doug!

What material are these covers made from?

Sunbrella.

gts-20
05-21-2012, 05:30 PM
I emailed Brent @ Coversports trying to get one of his covers for my 08' PS214. He said they didn't have a pattern for it, but offered to work with me, sending the material back and forth to make a pattern. He did say however, that the cover would fit better if they do the fitment on a boat there, and then send the material to me to mark for the tower leg openings.

Is there anyone in the Seattle area with a 214/x14 that might be able to let Coversports fit their boat? Brent said they could offer a discount on a cover to someone who could help out.

p.s, Brent also said they have a 197 cover that needs a home. I attached the pic he sent me of it. Contact him @ theprocover@gmail.com

Philscbx
05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
p.s, Brent said they have a 197 cover that needs a home. I attached the pic he sent me of it. Contact him @ theprocover@gmail.comIf this was my 209, It's a perfect match including trailer.
Someone would have to tell me the difference between 197 / 209.

The cover looks just like the copy of black MasterCraft cover I have now.
Not impressed with the way it keeps coming half off up along the sides near windshield.
The high tension wench strap works perfect, I keep the moving parts lubed, still can't keep it on just sitting in driveway with extra wind.

If no down straps to trailer, I'll pass.

Actually, I'd like to have custom skirt cover made to keep the sides covered from sun & dirt.

gts-20
05-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Coversport's covers are nothing like the factory MC cover. They are designed to trailer and fit very tight. I have some friends with these covers on their "SN" boats that are amazing. That is why I want one. They don't move at all while towing.

jakethebt
05-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a red one for my '96 205. I will post some pics in a few weeks when I get it.

onejdgreen
05-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I assume he does covers for boats with towers? Are these covers "water tight"?

east tx skier
05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Coversport's covers are nothing like the factory MC cover. They are designed to trailer and fit very tight. I have some friends with these covers on their "SN" boats that are amazing. That is why I want one. They don't move at all while towing.

Well, they move a little. You will get a little bit of "waves" on the portion of the cover in front of the windshield at highway speeds. The covers have lots of padding around the windshield for this reason. They are extremely well made.

Shooter McKevin
05-22-2012, 05:09 PM
I've been meaning to post a review of my Coversports cover for a while but I haven't taken the necessary photos yet.

The quick rundown:

It rubs on my ski pylon on the highway, which wore a small hole at the seam my first trip. I taped on a pad there that I will have to sew on before I use it this year. I tried installing the cover a little tighter and it rubs more. Too loose and it flaps too much.

The transom straps aren't positioned quite right for my boat. The cover has 5 straps. The middle one lines up with the tow eye (obviously). The other 4 don't really line up with anything. I tried them at an angle, securing to the lifting hooks but didn't like how it fit there. I switched to looping them through my platform but they pulled a slat out of my platform. Back to the angles I guess.

The biggest problem. When the transom straps are cinched down they really dig in to the vinyl on the "sun pad". I'm trying to decide on a solution to this. They need to be tight for the cover to shed water, so I find myself loosening them off and popping the engine cover to hold up the boat cover. I loosen them off whenever I can, but they are damaging the vinyl a little. A set of support poles might help but this was one of the main reasons I wanted this cover. No poles.

Some frustrating ordering and shipping issues with Brent. Mostly because he is unfamiliar with shipping protocol (I kind of am too, but I'm not in the retail business). Probably not an issue for US residents

With the shipping issues I had, the price got pretty high, I'm scared to do a final tally.

In the end, I think its probably still my best option, even with the issues.

Any good suggestions to resolve any of the problems I described are appreciated. I will post pics when I get a chance.

Kevin

jakethebt
05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
I wish you would have posted sooner!

As for the ski pylon, you can try putting a beer cozie on top of it for padding.

jakethebt
05-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Coversports did send me a photo, maybe this will help with install Qs. It looks like it is attached to the swim platform.

petermegan
05-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks Shooter, I would appreciate some photos please. Same hull as mine and would love a cover. I have the fibreglass swimdeck so don't know whether I could strap to that anyway.

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Coversports did send me a photo, maybe this will help with install Qs. It looks like it is attached to the swim platform.

The second photo shows what I mean about the strap locations. This is how I was happiest securing mine, until the slat that they are looped through pulled off it's screws.

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I found a pic of the back of my cover.

In this photo I had one strap on the lifting eye and one on the platform. I think it will work fine to have both angled to the eye. It just bunches up slightly at the back. Doing this actually eliminates 2 straps because I would just take one strap to the other buckle.

You can kind of see how deep the straps dig in to the vinyl under the cover. Because of this I try not to leave the cover cinched up for too long, just while I'm driving. When I'm moored or parked, I have to loosen the straps and prop the cover up. I might try laying a piece of thick felt down where the straps dig in to see if that spreads out the pressure enough. If so, I would probably sew it in.

Would the felt have any adverse effects on the vinyl? Should I use something less abrasive?

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Also, if you look on the above photo you can see where the pylon just barely touches the cover. Right on the center seam below the shadow from the tower. It barely touches but it is enough that it wore a tiny hole. Minor fix, but hopefully I can help the next guy put a pad there BEFORE there's a hole instead of after.

petermegan
05-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Shooter, I wonder whether something harder like some 3mm plastic would spread the load on your cushions instead of biting in on the cover seams. Lay a strip the whole width of your stern maybe. Is there any way on the back you could feed a padded stainless or fibreglass rod through your tiedown points to attach the cover straps too. May be difficult because the stern is curved but just a thought. Wouldn't want any chance of the rod making contact with the gel. I have a ND mini on the way for my prostar so thanks for the help with that. Hopefully Wayne has it done by now. Getting it made 150mm shorter just to be fussy. I want to help you sort your problems out so I can order a cover. :D

Shooter McKevin
05-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Shooter, I wonder whether something harder like some 3mm plastic would spread the load on your cushions instead of biting in on the cover seams. Lay a strip the whole width of your stern maybe. Is there any way on the back you could feed a padded stainless or fibreglass rod through your tiedown points to attach the cover straps too. May be difficult because the stern is curved but just a thought. Wouldn't want any chance of the rod making contact with the gel. I have a ND mini on the way for my prostar so thanks for the help with that. Hopefully Wayne has it done by now. Getting it made 150mm shorter just to be fussy. I want to help you sort your problems out so I can order a cover. :D

Can't go wrong with the ND. To me it's the only option. Are you getting a bimini? Since you are being fussy you might want to customize the bimini. I discussed this a little (with photos) elsewhere, I think in the ND tower thread.

Regarding cover shipping to OZ, I started writing out some recommendations but it started getting long. Drop me a line when the time comes and I'll try to help things go smoothly for you. I probably should put some things in the thread to help everyone else (and Coversports) but I don't have time today.

Shooter McKevin
05-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Here's another shot of my cover. It is a really nice cover.

It bunches around the rear tower leg a little but it's pretty minor. I bet if I sent it back to Brent, he'd be happy to fix that up for me. .79328