PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting New Wakeboard racks

kskonn
03-23-2011, 02:39 AM
In case anyone was curious here are some pics of retrofitting the new Mastercraft wakeboard racks to an 03 x30. there are no decals because I removed them to install new decals.

sand2snow22
03-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Sweet, looks like you had to drill a few new holes? Where did you get the new racks? Do you the old 2003 racks left? I need one. Thanks in advance.

pmkkdx
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
nice! like above, where did you get the new racks? $$$? hard to tell from the pics, but how are the boards retained (clamp/strap/etc.)? looks very similar to my '04 X2 tower and I only have one side with a rack (need to add to other side).

kskonn
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I got the racks from a boat that was totaled in a flood here in texas. I knew the guy and he was getting a new boat and the racks were not damaged so he sold them to me for 300 dollars.It was a steal, Mastercraft wants 600 for each rack brand new.

I had to jigsaw out a rectangle for the handle that locks down a pad which holds the wakeboard in place, I believe these are the same as the 04-11 boats. great design.

sand2snow22, I already sold the racks that we are there, they are hard to find and they don't even sell spare parts for them anymore, hence the reason I changed to the new racks.

brucemac
03-23-2011, 05:42 PM
wow, that looks nice. jealous. say, any chance you could take some more detailed pics, maybe of the backside of the plate where you drilled/jigged? oh and also, i'm guessing you had to drill new holes for the screws too?

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Why are they better?? I would not have changed unless I could get swivel racks.

stewvette
03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Ya Would Love To See Close Up Pics Of The Inside Where The Handle Comes Threw. Thinking Of Doing The Conversion Myself.

kskonn
03-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Brucemac and Stewvette I will be on the boat tomorrow I will make sure to take some pics. Cutting the rectangle for the handle is not bad just tedious. Drilling the Hole is a pain, mainly because it lined up directly on a extruded metal line which caused the drill to want to go high and to the left. Ultimately I went with a half inch bit, a corded drill and then manually bored out the bottom side of the whole so that the bolt would line up correctly. You have a little play and the head of the bolt with washers gives you more play for attachment.

TX.X-30 Fan- the reason they were better for me is simple. My original racks were toast. They were a spring loaded mastercraft rack that made the board hard to get. They also had a design that seemed to bend and cause problems with the spring releasing. I did not want to go with clamp on racks because they looked small and cheap on my boat. These are also great racks, they have a handle that you pull which locks in a pad that automatically applies the correct pressure to what is in the slot. They are mastercraft and they are essentially as close to factory as I can get. These are the same racks that are on the newer swivel racks, but due to my zeroflex wake board tower the mounting plate is fixed so I could not mod them to be swivel.

I actually use one half of a swivel rack as my template to cut and drill any holes that needed to be added, luckily the two "guide pins" on the racks have not changed in the last 8 or 9 years, that made it easier, but it is also forced you to make sure the new slots and holes were pretty close to perfect.

sorry for the long post.

brucemac
03-24-2011, 12:05 AM
cool, anxious to see more pics and thanks for the reply. only a matter of time before mine go tu.

kskonn
03-24-2011, 12:10 AM
cool, anxious to see more pics and thanks for the reply. only a matter of time before mine go tu.

The nicest thing about these new ones is how easy it is to access your boards. no more climbing on the side of the boat while holding on to the tower with one hand and pulling the board out with your other hand. You can just hit the button and easily grab the board.

I will post more detailed pics tomorrow after the wakeboarding session.

brucemac
03-24-2011, 12:34 AM
assuming because you don't have to clear the u on the end of the fingers and you only have one control for clamping that's at eye level on the inside? that would be nice. how much would both sides cost new total did you say? $1200? that is a lot of coin. how clean is the cut on the inside for the clamp release or does it get coverd up by hardware?

kskonn
03-24-2011, 01:10 AM
assuming because you don't have to clear the u on the end of the fingers and you only have one control for clamping that's at eye level on the inside? that would be nice. how much would both sides cost new total did you say? $1200? that is a lot of coin. how clean is the cut on the inside for the clamp release or does it get coverd up by hardware?

yea no U- slides straight out while standing in the boat with one hand!

My understanding is that it is about 2k total for both sides if you buy from mastercraft, pretty steep. I live in San Antonio, lot of floods, I would be more than happy to see if any one kept some good racks off of a flood boat.

The cut is pretty clean if you take your time etc... took me and my buddy about 1 hour per cut once we got good at it. the first cut took about 2.5 hours. it is pretty well covered by the hardware, you would have to be staring specifically at the cut from in the boat at close range to notice. So you might notice the cut not being machined from the driver seat if you are standing. From the outside it is completely covered. I will make sure to get multiple pictures of that for you from both sides.

kskonn
03-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Here are some more detailed pics from the racks-

broncotw
03-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow! I observed that green color on the site and was not sure about it! After seeing you boat I REALLY like it!

Very nice bro...

kskonn
03-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks.

From what I understand they got rid of that green color because it was not getting ordered very often, now a lot of people want it so they offer it as an upgrade. I happened to get it because it was the right boat at the right price, it is so unique i have really enjoyed having that color.

brucemac
03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
looks good. if you happen to stumble upon anymore of those racks let me know. no way i can spring for $2K on new from dealer. that's crazy talk. especially given the fact my current racks are working fine. it is something i'd like to do down the road though.

kskonn
03-25-2011, 03:08 PM
i will ask around, i will ask my dealershio as well, they often have some leads. that is how i found my used racks, i paid 300 for the set.

stewvette
03-25-2011, 03:52 PM
kskonn I would definitely be interested in a set also for 300 if you find some