PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sounds system

kskonn
03-23-2011, 12:53 AM
I am new to this Forum but it sounds like you guys might be able to give me some insight. I am replacing all the clarion speakers amps, subs etc... in my 04 Mastercraft X-30 with all Wet sounds gear. 4 new tower speakers 4 new speakers in side the boat, the xxx 12 in sub and 3 new syn amps. Is this new set up going to be a large improvement over the old system(factory)? I have yet to hear Wet sounds product but have read nothing but awesome reviews and received overwhelming reviews from personal friends who have heard boats with Wet Sounds gear. What do you guys think?

thanks,

Kevin

rgardjr1
03-23-2011, 01:32 AM
I have a pair of 485s on the tower and a 420 eq and I'm very happy.

craig3972
03-23-2011, 01:44 AM
malibu crew or wakeworld is the best place to read about stereo systems

kskonn
03-23-2011, 01:54 AM
malibu crew or wakeworld is the best place to read about stereo systems

thanks I will check it out.

brucemac
03-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Is this new set up going to be a large improvement over the old system(factory)?

yes. if done right, exponentially.

good luck, have fun, report back.

kev88
03-23-2011, 08:27 AM
It will be a big improvment. I have two pro 60s on my tower with stock JBLS (and sub) - sounds very good. Just make sure it's all powered adequately - those tower speakers will handle alot.

shunra
03-23-2011, 12:46 PM
The improvement will be dramatic. How dramatic depends to some degree on what speakers you are going with and what amps you are choosing. They have many options for both tower and boats speakers. Are you going with HLCD on the tower?

Post up which of thier products you are planning on using.

Also I would seriously consider the adding the WS 420. If you are spending that much on the system the incremental cost is pretty small and the flexibility it gives you hard to match. After having one I wouldn't go without one now

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Huge improvement, power them to max. (clarion suks)

kskonn
03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
The improvement will be dramatic. How dramatic depends to some degree on what speakers you are going with and what amps you are choosing. They have many options for both tower and boats speakers. Are you going with HLCD on the tower?

Post up which of thier products you are planning on using.

Also I would seriously consider the adding the WS 420. If you are spending that much on the system the incremental cost is pretty small and the flexibility it gives you hard to match. After having one I wouldn't go without one now

I am going with the following.

Pro 80 tower speakers
XS650 speakers in the boat- 2 pair to replace factory
1 XS-xxx 12 in sub in a custom ported box
1 syn 1 amp for the sub
1 syn6 amp for the in boat coaxials and the towers.
1 breaker switch

I had not considered the WS420 but I am already into this project for a few grand so i might as well not skimp now.

that is the final configuration that is getting installed right now, I was originally going to go with a different set up but this is what I settled on after hearing a couple boats with the wet sounds product in them today.

brucemac
03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
very nice! that will be a great setup! post up some pics when you get it done.
jealous on the XXX, i don't have the space for the ported box requirements.
good call on the 420, it's a necessity for a setup like that. may want to also look into the HSE Revolution volume control too if you listen a lot while you ride. fiddling with the 420 knobs all the time can get a little frustrating.

rgardjr1
03-23-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm using the Arc version of this to run my 4 cabin speakers and sub.

I had not considered the WS420 but I am already into this project for a few grand so i might as well not skimp now.

You'll be happy you have a way to control the volume of the tower independently from the in boats. The HLCDs get loud and it's nice to have a way to quickly adjust them. I added a HSE Revolution which controls the volume based on RPMs when it's on. It makes it much easier for my wife to handle driving while I'm wake boarding-she doesn't have to turn the volume up and down.

JRW160
03-23-2011, 05:45 PM
The ws420 is a must have with a system like that. I just installed a a set of pro80s, a 15" solo baric L7, 2 kicker amps, and a ws420 in my 2003 x2 last weekend. I'm sticking with the stock clarion components this summer, but they will probably get upgraded over the winter.

If you have an iphone or android phone, there are a couple of apps that will adjust the volume for you like the hse revolution. The iphone one is called adaptunes, and the android one is car volume control. They track speed using the phone's gps and raise the volumes in user defined steps. The android app is $2.99, which is a lot easier to swing than $300 for the hse revolution.

rgardjr1
03-23-2011, 05:57 PM
which is a lot easier to swing than $300 for the hse revolution.

I think I read somewhere that they stopped making the HSE revolution. Earmark marine was blowing them out for $125 back at the end of last year. There is another hardware solution that works a little differently called the "boost box".

brucemac
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
adaptunes is cool, but it doesn't work out of the dock connector, only the headphone jack.

brucemac
03-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I think I read somewhere that they stopped making the HSE revolution. Earmark marine was blowing them out for $125 back at the end of last year. There is another hardware solution that works a little differently called the "boost box".

did not hear that. i would have to think that wetsounds is at least toying with the idea of integrating a speed based volume control into their 420.

TX.X-30 fan
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Jeeeeeeeeeeez ya'll are lazy I can turn it up and down with a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other.:D

shunra
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
I am going with the following.

Pro 80 tower speakers
XS650 speakers in the boat- 2 pair to replace factory
1 XS-xxx 12 in sub in a custom ported box
1 syn 1 amp for the sub
1 breaker switch

that is the final configuration that is getting installed right now, I was originally going to go with a different set up but this is what I settled on after hearing a couple boats with the wet sounds product in them today.

Yeah there is gonna be a big big difference over the stock clarion stuff.

With a system like this I would go for the WS420. I use it all the time. If we are wakeboarding the tower gets full power as do the in-boats. If we are sitting in the boat chilling I like to dial the tower back and keep the in-boats / sub pumping. That way I still get a good punch out of the sub and the in-boat speakers without making conversations impossible and causing ears to bleed if anyone should happen towards the swim deck. If I am at a party cove I like to "warm up" the tower a bit by tweaking the EQ. Like I said....flexibility.

In the past I have looked at the syn6 and wondered if it could be wired in a non-standard way to get a bit more out of it. I think most people will wire it with channels 1-4 for the in boat speakers getting 60watts each at 4 ohms, then run channels 5 and 6 to the tower for 155 watts each at 4 ohms. I would like to know if you could bridge channels 1,2 and 3,4 and wire them to the tower for 200watts each, then run channels 5,6 to the in-boat 4 speakers at 2 ohms and get 305watts x 2 so about 75 watts to each in-boat speaker. I am not sure if it can be run this way but at least it gets a full 200 watts to each Pro80, which I feel is a minimum.

Since there are supposed to be 2 distinct sections to this amp I tend to think this would work just fine and you'd get quite a bit more power for the same price. The only drawback would be you would no longer be able to fade your 4 in-boat speakers front to back, but I never do that anyway.

Maybe Tim will happen by and let us know if the amp can be run that way.

kskonn
03-23-2011, 09:48 PM

With a system like this I would go for the WS420. I use it all the time. If we are wakeboarding the tower gets full power as do the in-boats. If we are sitting in the boat chilling I like to dial the tower back and keep the in-boats / sub pumping. That way I still get a good punch out of the sub and the in-boat speakers without making conversations impossible and causing ears to bleed if anyone should happen towards the swim deck. If I am at a party cove I like to "warm up" the tower a bit by tweaking the EQ. Like I said....flexibility.

In the past I have looked at the syn6 and wondered if it could be wired in a non-standard way to get a bit more out of it. I think most people will wire it with channels 1-4 for the in boat speakers getting 60watts each at 4 ohms, then run channels 5 and 6 to the tower for 155 watts each at 4 ohms. I would like to know if you could bridge channels 1,2 and 3,4 and wire them to the tower for 200watts each, then run channels 5,6 to the in-boat 4 speakers at 2 ohms and get 305watts x 2 so about 75 watts to each in-boat speaker. I am not sure if it can be run this way but at least it gets a full 200 watts to each Pro80, which I feel is a minimum.

Since there are supposed to be 2 distinct sections to this amp I tend to think this would work just fine and you'd get quite a bit more power for the same price. The only drawback would be you would no longer be able to fade your 4 in-boat speakers front to back, but I never do that anyway.

I know tim floats around the themalibucrew a lot, I have is email address is you would like to have it, I know he would be happy to help you out.

kskonn
03-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Jeeeeeeeeeeez ya'll are lazy I can turn it up and down with a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other.:D

that is what I was thinking! Automation is always cool though.

wetsounds1
03-23-2011, 10:19 PM

You are correct that the SYN-6 can be set up as you described. It would be 200x2 on 1-4 bridged and 305x2 on ch 5-6 at 2 ohms. For 2 pairs of XS-650. So split out to each speaker nets 152.5. So 150 watts, not 75! Most run it with coaxs on 1-4 becuase usually there are 3 pairs. Bow pair and 2 pairs in the cockpit. There are a lot of different ways to go. Since the SYN-6 can do high pass or low pass on chs 5-6. There are so many options, its crazy. Then there is always series wiring etc.

I just tuned this new 32 foot crusier for Chaparral http://www.chaparralboats.com/2011/chaparral/Chaparral-Boat.php?boat_id=13&page=home

It has 4 pairs of XS-650 in the boat with one more set of speakers next to a TV inside the cabin all off a SYN-6. We ran the cabin seperate off ch 3-4 with it's own input so you can fade off it and have no tunes there. we ran the bow and driver pair off 1-2 and internally y'd the inputs with the switch on the syn-6. 5-6 go to the pair on the side and top of the arch. Those get a bit more power since that is the party zone but Then I tuned it so it balances perfect. This boat also has a XS-XXX woofer powered by a SYN-1. It is insane. And factory too!!

Tim
Wet Sounds

cal2vin
03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
What batteries are you using with this new set up and did you modify you're alternator at all. I am thinking of doing a similar set up on my 2008 x-2 with the Wetsounds 3-some package powered by a syn 6 and then the 4 inboat speakers powered by a digital designs ss3 (already had it). plus a memphis 10 in sub powered by a 350 watt cheapo amp (sound storm I believe) Really want to upgrade to the XXX tho

kskonn
03-23-2011, 10:49 PM
What batteries are you using with this new set up and did you modify you're alternator at all. I am thinking of doing a similar set up on my 2008 x-2 with the Wetsounds 3-some package powered by a syn 6 and then the 4 inboat speakers powered by a digital designs ss3 (already had it). plus a memphis 10 in sub powered by a 350 watt cheapo amp (sound storm I believe) Really want to upgrade to the XXX tho

I have my boat set up with a regular battery and 2 deep cycle batteries, I switch to the deep cycles when I am just sitting and chilling. I did not do anything to the alternator, but I have not received the boat back yet, it looks like I should get it back tomorrow. they built the box today and put on the resin, all the stuff will arrive tomorrow morning from Wet Sounds and will get installed tomorrow. I am picking that thing up at 4ish and hitting the water tomorrow.

I will let you know how it works out with the power situation.

TX.X-30 fan
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Going to be more load on the alt. for sure, I believe you have a 70 amp. At idle and low rpm I can see you might get the dreaded low volt alarm. Something to think about for sure if your looking for bulletproof.

cal2vin
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't have the first clue where to even start on looking at new alternators, or a second one anyway. Any suggestions? How can I find out for sure what amperage my alternator is?

craig3972
03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I just purchased a 200A from DB electrical $395.00 for my 2006 mcx. some local shops said they coould push my OEM up to 140amp for $200 but I thought it would be nice to have the old one as well as a new one. The 200A alt will provide 100A at idle speed, the OEM will provide 40 at idle - 2.5x the output at idle.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39951&highlight=high+output+alternator&page=4

kskonn
03-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I was already running two amps, a 4 channell clarion and a 750 watt Class D MTX on my previous sub. Based on everything I have read about the Wet sounds amps they should be a lot more efficient than what I had in the boat and should draw less current, that is all theory though, I will let you know. In addition I already have a beefed up alternator in the boat, that was one thing I change when I bought it knowing that I would be upgrading the tunes at some point. But I don't know if I would consider it bullet proof.

shunra
03-24-2011, 04:20 PM
You are correct that the SYN-6 can be set up as you described. It would be 200x2 on 1-4 bridged and 305x2 on ch 5-6 at 2 ohms. For 2 pairs of XS-650. So split out to each speaker nets 152.5. So 150 watts, not 75! Most run it with coaxs on 1-4 becuase usually there are 3 pairs. Bow pair and 2 pairs in the cockpit. There are a lot of different ways to go. Since the SYN-6 can do high pass or low pass on chs 5-6. There are so many options, its crazy. Then there is always series wiring etc.

I just tuned this new 32 foot crusier for Chaparral http://www.chaparralboats.com/2011/chaparral/Chaparral-Boat.php?boat_id=13&page=home

It has 4 pairs of XS-650 in the boat with one more set of speakers next to a TV inside the cabin all off a SYN-6. We ran the cabin seperate off ch 3-4 with it's own input so you can fade off it and have no tunes there. we ran the bow and driver pair off 1-2 and internally y'd the inputs with the switch on the syn-6. 5-6 go to the pair on the side and top of the arch. Those get a bit more power since that is the party zone but Then I tuned it so it balances perfect. This boat also has a XS-XXX woofer powered by a SYN-1. It is insane. And factory too!!

Tim
Wet Sounds

Tim, that is cool. I thought it would work fine that way. It it truly a very flexible amp.

kskonn, did your shop hook it up this way? I don't know your shop but I don't think it is an obvious way to do it. So I am thinking there is a good chance they just wired one channel to each speaker. If so you are under utilizing both your amp and your speakers. Easy change for no money what so ever, just moving a few wires on the amp.

craig3972
03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
im not sure about this but maybe someone can clairify
- class A/B amps are less efficient -60%
- class D or G/H amps are better -80%

But I think i read somewhere that A/B amps efficiency increases as the output of the amp (volume is turned up) is increased.

laymans conclusion - if you are running your stereo at maximum volume, wouldnt the efficiency of the A/B amp begin to approach that of the D or G/H amps? And the effiency savings would only be appreciable at partial amp output?

JRW160
03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
If you have access to an AC outlet wherever you store your boat, an onboard charger may be a better option than upgrading your alternator. I have a guest 2611a sitting in my garage waiting to be installed this weekend.

StuSX
03-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Good call on asking Tim from Wet Sounds he knows his stuff and will steer you straight... I had a malibu with pro 80's and then pro 60's because of size. If you go with HLCD's, it will be a huge upgrade in both sound and clarity at high volume. Make sure they are amped properly- ask Tim prior to buyiing it. Spend more on the better wires and cables, and make sure you can isolate the towers vs the cabin, or your ears will bleed- literally. If I were you, I'd start with just two of them, which will be louder and clearer than 6 Clarions, and add more later if you think you need them. Powered correctly, you can hear two of them clear as a bell at 80 feet while riding.

Have fun!

kskonn
03-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Alright Here are the pics.

It sounds unbelievable, the sub was way over my expectations and the pro 80's are unbelievable. they did hook my amp up as described above- it is a great shop. they even put a cool custom enlay on the sub box to promote their shop. they made it the same color as my boat. it was a nice touch.they also pulled all the old wiring and re ran new wires. overall I was blown away by this product, watching the bear can shake with the sub in the cup holders was awesome.

kskonn
03-25-2011, 12:09 AM
the rest of the pics

76S&S
03-25-2011, 08:12 AM
I just put a pair of pro 80's on my tower and they easily lived up to my expectations!

TX.X-30 fan
03-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Does the storage door have to be open?? Very cool setup, I would miss the storage under there though. Would that not fit under the dash, pretty good sized area under the dash behind the panel, I put 2 10" subs there with a 1,000 watt slash amp.

wetsounds1
03-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Looks great. I am glad you are happy! I told you the response we always get from someone is HOLY $h!^ Sounds like you had that same feeling.

If you ever on Lake Austin and see me in our boat, flag me down and say hi.

Tim
Wet Sounds

kskonn
03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Does the storage door have to be open?? Very cool setup, I would miss the storage under there though. Would that not fit under the dash, pretty good sized area under the dash behind the panel, I put 2 10" subs there with a 1,000 watt slash amp.

no it does not have to be open i just opened for the pic. i probably could fit it under the dash, not sure though. The box is big, and might be to tall to get under the dash.

kskonn
03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Looks great. I am glad you are happy! I told you the response we always get from someone is HOLY $h!^ Sounds like you had that same feeling.

If you ever on Lake Austin and see me in our boat, flag me down and say hi.

Tim
Wet Sounds

tim, my reaction was exactly that. the fun part was watching the reaction of people in other boats. I get up to lake Austin every so often to get my hula hut fix, I hope to see you out there at some point.

brucemac
03-25-2011, 11:54 AM
holy cow that xxx box is HUGE! congrats, i'm sure it sounds amazing.

TX.X-30 fan
03-25-2011, 03:36 PM
tim, my reaction was exactly that. the fun part was watching the reaction of people in other boats. I get up to lake Austin every so often to get my hula hut fix, I hope to see you out there at some point.

Looks like it won't be long for Hula Hut to be good as new.

StuSX
03-25-2011, 09:06 PM
What are those little white ones in the middle doing? Are they rope hangers? Take them off and let us know if you notice the difference. After you say no... sell them.

Those HLCD's are all you need. Great job and nice looking set up!

kskonn
03-25-2011, 11:07 PM
What are those little white ones in the middle doing? Are they rope hangers? Take them off and let us know if you notice the difference. After you say no... sell them.

Those HLCD's are all you need. Great job and nice looking set up!

the little ones are already disconnected but they have lights on the front side so I left them.. As soon as I mod the bimini next weekend I will probably get some Pro60's to replace them and put on LED lights. I heard there is a company that are making LED light rings for the wet sound tower speakers.

I am going to look into that and see what I can find. I am pretty sure that my buddy at Texas Ski Ranch(local dealer) know where to get the light rings.

wetsounds1
03-26-2011, 11:07 AM
kskonn,

You can have the guys at Audio Outlet call us direct. We make the LED rings in house. We are just about to put them on the site with all the info but we do have some we can get them for you so you dont have to search around.

Tim
Wet Sounds

kskonn
03-27-2011, 10:16 PM
kskonn,

You can have the guys at Audio Outlet call us direct. We make the LED rings in house. We are just about to put them on the site with all the info but we do have some we can get them for you so you dont have to search around.

Tim
Wet Sounds

thanks tim I will do that. Any chance you can send me a pick of what they look like?

thanks,

Kevin

steved1323
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Tim,

what would I be looking at to get the 3-some, xxx sub , 6 of the xs -650s , and the amps to go with it? what kind of head unit should? I use was thinking about the 420 too? I could install myself but what do you think about this setup and any recomendations would be great.
thanks

wetsounds1
04-08-2011, 04:48 PM
steve,

give my office a call on monday 877-938-7757 and ask for justin or omar. they can see if we have a local dealer near you who could take a look at your boat and quote it out for you. simple amp options would be the SYN-6 on the 3-Some and a SYN-6 running the in boats and the XXX woofer so a easy two amp system but 2000 watts. Next would be a SYN-6 on the 3-Some with a SYN-4 on the in boats and a SYN-2 or SYN-1 on the XXX depending on what budget allows.

For head units, i run the clarion cmd 6 in our demo boats and it works well. the alpine units are nice as well. When adding the WS-420, you are boosting the voltage from the head unit to 5 volts. So i would look for a unit that has the size to replace what you have and transom remotes that would drop in etc...

Tim
Wet Sounds

craig3972
04-08-2011, 05:38 PM
steve,

give my office a call on monday 877-938-7757 and ask for justin or omar. they can see if we have a local dealer near you who could take a look at your boat and quote it out for you. simple amp options would be the SYN-6 on the 3-Some and a SYN-6 running the in boats and the XXX woofer so a easy two amp system but 2000 watts. Next would be a SYN-6 on the 3-Some with a SYN-4 on the in boats and a SYN-2 or SYN-1 on the XXX depending on what budget allows.

For head units, i run the clarion cmd 6 in our demo boats and it works well. the alpine units are nice as well. When adding the WS-420, you are boosting the voltage from the head unit to 5 volts. So i would look for a unit that has the size to replace what you have and transom remotes that would drop in etc...

Tim
Wet Sounds

The Alpine CMD-118 has 2 volt preout. In your opinion , does the Alpine HU have enough signal strength to to be used without a line driver? even if it has one "Y" RCA in the preout?

wetsounds1
04-11-2011, 11:29 AM
2 volts is pretty standard. and will be OK. a line driver will give you better results. the amplifiers gain knob is designed to match the input signal from the source unit. so a 100 watt amp puts out 100 watts once the gain is at it's unity setting and matched for the amount of input voltage. adding a line driver ups this input voltage allowing the gain to be set at unity level at a lower setting since it is getting more voltage, this can result in more head room and cleaner signal path. also a line driver is very important in a multi amp setting and long runs. both typical in a boat

Tim
Wet Sounds

Waterski-Marcoisland
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
here's mine