PDA

View Full Version : Tach stopped working???

rscherer
03-22-2011, 04:26 PM
This past weekend when I was heading back to the ramp my tachometer quit on me. It worked fine all day. Just before it failed i was at about 3/4 throttle when i noticed the gauge started to bounce. It went from 2000 to 5000 back and forth a few times and then finally died. Any ideas? Another possible symptom that could be related is a few weeks ago all of the gauges quit working a few times. After restarting the boat a few times it went away and all have worked ever since. Could the tach be related to the Medallion MDC-1600?

Thx

Starshack
03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Sounds like an electrical problem - could be as simple as a loose ground. Best to get a multimeter and try and track down. I have had similar problems and when I pulled the dash out there was a loose wire hanging which fixed the problem. Not sure what year/model MC but on my 92 PS the grounds are daisy chained so if you get a break all the gauges may stop working. Making sure everything electrical is connected and tight is a good start - check the connections on the engine as well.