PDA

View Full Version : Slick 50 Oil Additive

skilew
07-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Is anyone using Slick 50 oil additive in their engines?

I changed the oil in my engine this weekend and substituted one quart of oil with a quart of this additive. Since then I have looked on the web and seen a lot of pros and cons about this product. I am wondering if I should now change my oil again and leave out the Slick 50. Can it hurt my engine? I would like some opinions on whether or not to use the Slick 50.

Here is what I know about Slick 50:
The basic ingredient in Slick 50, is Polytetrafluoroethylene. Don't try to pronounce it: call it PTFE. But don't call it Teflon, which is what it is, because that is a registered trademark. Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines."

I put this additive in thinking that it would help reduce the wear from dry starts after not cranking my boat for a week or two. But now I am concerned it may cause other problems i.e., clogging the oil filter since it contains this PTFE as suspended solid.

Snake Oil or not?

OhioProstar
07-18-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't think it will hurt anything. It may help a bit for dry starts. I use Lucas Super Duty additive and it seems to have smoothed out the idle in both my truck and boat. Better gas mileage too.

phecksel
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Is anyone using Slick 50 oil additive in their engines?

I changed the oil in my engine this weekend and substituted one quart of oil with a quart of this additive. Since then I have looked on the web and seen a lot of pros and cons about this product. I am wondering if I should now change my oil again and leave out the Slick 50. Can it hurt my engine? I would like some opinions on whether or not to use the Slick 50.

Here is what I know about Slick 50:
The basic ingredient in Slick 50, is Polytetrafluoroethylene. Don't try to pronounce it: call it PTFE. But don't call it Teflon, which is what it is, because that is a registered trademark. Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines."

I put this additive in thinking that it would help reduce the wear from dry starts after not cranking my boat for a week or two. But now I am concerned it may cause other problems i.e., clogging the oil filter since it contains this PTFE as suspended solid.

Snake Oil or not?
hurt it, probably not
but then snake oil probably won't either :)

Save your money

Footin
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Save your money, use a good quality oil and change it regularly.

I personally do not believe in "Mechanic in a can"

wesgardner
07-19-2005, 12:45 PM
You should also try "Electrician in a can" - just open the easy-open top and pour it directly into your breaker box...

Wes

PendO
04-21-2006, 12:25 AM
what a great thread ... so helpful when one is considering the proper lubricant to guard against engine friction. Eastie, is this on the fAq?

tommcat
04-21-2006, 07:37 AM
it doesnt work, which is why there was a class action lawsuit against them years back.
i've heard that under some severe testing the teflon turned into a semi solid goo that can block oil passages. i dont know for a fact but why take the chance.

on a side note, the Lucas additives do work very well.

bigmac
04-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Oil addtitives are a complete waste of money. Buy a good quality oil, change it according to the engine manufacturer's recommendations.

Leroy
04-21-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't mean it to sound this way, but let us know how it works. I don't think you are tearing apart your motor to spec it before and after, notice anything different?

MYMC
04-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Not sure what boat/engine you have but I would change the oil and get it out of the engine. If the boat is a late model with the low tension ring package this could lead to oil consumption.

captain planet
04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
The only oil additive that I would consider putting in my boat would be ProLong. I have used in my vehicles and seems to work pretty good.

FLRunner
04-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I used slick 50 many years ago in my 4.3 S10 Truck and swore it never ran the same again. I would change the oil. I do use Lucas and have good luck in newer and older vehicles. Since this thread is oil additives, anybody used Amsoil synthetic oil or transmission fluid? This is from their website, I like the service life of one year or 25,000 miles:
AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (ASL) delivers extraordinary lubrication in all types of automotive gasoline engines. By combining the industry premier synthetic technology with AMSOIL premium additives, AMSOIL ASL exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. It withstands the stress of higher horsepower, higher heat and complicated emission control systems. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil consistently outperforms competitive conventional and synthetic motor oils. It delivers long-lasting performance and protection.
SERVICE LIFE
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:
Normal Service(3) Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first

Hoosier Bob
04-29-2006, 11:43 PM
I have used the ole T-Lube for fogging or lubing up the ole 2-strokes topend but do not believe in filling any portion of a crankcase with it. I think Big Mac uses all synthetic and any snake oil he can get. Last I heard Big Mac had his pan dropped and it looked like a gelatin mold! Ask BM!:D

PendO
04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Oil addtitives are a complete waste of money. Buy a good quality oil, change it according to the engine manufacturer's recommendations.

why just yesterday I ran my engine without any oil, all day long ... then I sold the boat to Rod with some TT stickers on it ... damn I love Slick 50

and ya'll realize how old this thread is:)

Hoosier Bob
04-29-2006, 11:55 PM
I did the Duralube test with mine! Changed the oil, refilled with DL then drained and went skiing for the day! Perfect and less weight!

Leroy
04-30-2006, 07:36 AM
If you google PTFE additive or something similar there is a lot of stuff out there. I think PTFE has some potential small benefits and potential real downsides depending on you engine.

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/additive.htm

bigmac
04-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I have used the ole T-Lube for fogging or lubing up the ole 2-strokes topend but do not believe in filling any portion of a crankcase with it. I think Big Mac uses all synthetic and any snake oil he can get. Last I heard Big Mac had his pan dropped and it looked like a gelatin mold! Ask BM!:D

Mr. Synthetic

http://mccollister.info/amchair.jpg

Hoosier Bob
04-30-2006, 02:56 PM
That is still the best picture I have seen on this site! :D Mr. Synthetic

http://mccollister.info/amchair.jpg