PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

beautiful breeze
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a mechanical fuel pump on my 351 windsor mastercraft. I was having trouble with the fuel pump losing prime and leaving me stranded until ether was used to keep the engine running long enuf for it to reprime. I was very aggrevated and decided to change it out to an electric fuel pump. Now here is the problem, the rotary vane pump is so loud i am afraid it will be heard all the time at low speeds. I have tried to dampen the noise it makes with rubber and undercoating. Still unacceptable. I have found a gerotor auto pump that claims to be substansially quieter than the rotary vane pump. However the auto pump seems to be a very bad idea. What other options do yall have in order to economically make this situation better. Another idea was swap out fuel cell with internal fuel pump but that gets pricy. Does anyone know of a marine grade gerotor pump. Thats all I need but cant find one. Suggestions? Warm weather is right around the corner.

CantRepeat
03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I have a mechanical fuel pump on my 351 windsor mastercraft. I was having trouble with the fuel pump losing prime and leaving me stranded until ether was used to keep the engine running long enuf for it to reprime. I was very aggrevated and decided to change it out to an electric fuel pump. Now here is the problem, the rotary vane pump is so loud i am afraid it will be heard all the time at low speeds. I have tried to dampen the noise it makes with rubber and undercoating. Still unacceptable. I have found a gerotor auto pump that claims to be substansially quieter than the rotary vane pump. However the auto pump seems to be a very bad idea. What other options do yall have in order to economically make this situation better. Another idea was swap out fuel cell with internal fuel pump but that gets pricy. Does anyone know of a marine grade gerotor pump. Thats all I need but cant find one. Suggestions? Warm weather is right around the corner.

Did you try a new mechanical fuel pump? I don't understand why you would be having those kinds of issues. I would also think there would be a way to fix the issue with the older system.

ctjahn
03-21-2011, 10:34 PM

I agree with the post above, why not mechanical but...

Given the circumstances and hull construction (Glass and/or wood without insulation), I can assume if it is hard mounted it would be quite a bit louder than if mounted via rubber isolators... potentially amplified by the frequency and/or compartment. I may not be describing well, but think subwoofer box....

Just some ideas.
Cj

beautiful breeze
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Well as it turns out. there is a potential problem with my carburator. It appears to be a regular instead of marine which presents 3 problems. I am still researching as to why this carb will give me problems. I believe that the baot was losing prime on the fuel but an experts believes that it was being flooded after a 20 min ride then would not recrank unless ethered. He hopes that the boat boat has not become ether dependant? But anyway, Wedge plates could solve my problem if i can find them. Any suggestions. Apparently the problem is that the motor is tilted which makes the carb tilted as well keeping the fuel in the floats unequal?????? Wedge plates may solve this problem. If indeed i discover the carb is the problem, then mechanical fuel pump may be the only quiet solution. Of course i would rebuild it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

beautiful breeze
03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
just to clarify

The engine runs fine once a little ether is sprayed into the carb. Ran like a champ no smoke, no fumes, no soot at the back no problems at all. The problem lies when i run the boat cruising about for 10 to 20 minutes shut the boat off to do some swimming for 5 or 10 min and then try to start the boat. This does not happen every single time which extends my frustration. The only way to start the boat when this happens is to ether it and keep it running until it will stay runnning on its on.

Now 1 of 2 problems exists.

A the fuel is lost its prime.

B the fuel has flooded the intake with with fuel and it takes 30 secs running on ether to get rid of that fuel in the intake.

Now I want to believe that it is lossing prime because there is no high concentration of gas emitting from carb and no smoke of any kind coming from the exhuast.

But the expert believes the floats are overflowing and flood the motor.

Other than this random problem, the boat runs and looks great and serves as great family entertainment. When this happens, I want to scream across the cove with frustration.

beautiful breeze
03-23-2011, 02:51 PM
OK FOLKS... About the auto carburetor installed on a boat, if I adjust the float levels to compensate the angle of the motor in the mastercraft, does that elliminate the need for wedge plates. if it does not eliminate the need than what degree is the motor on a 1980 star and stripes motor set at? This is so i can get the correct degree wedge plate. Amazon has them for 34 dollars and its five degrees. OHH And I will putting the turn downs for the vents to make it safer with brake tubing and JB weld.

vision
03-23-2011, 03:21 PM
This thread reminds of a comment a marine mechanic said years ago when some one asked about replacement parts for their boat.

"It's a car engine, but its not a car."

JLeuck64
03-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Well... this thread is starting to remind me of the "How do I make my exhaust louder" thread started a while back!

beautiful breeze
03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
be nice if you 2 answered the question instead of wasting keystrokes on the keyboard. This is not about making my boat louder or faster its just a post to pick the guys that may have seen this issue before. Sorry im not a MC fanatic.

beautiful breeze
03-23-2011, 08:28 PM
i have mounted it in the stringer at the very back right next to the fuel cell. It has 2 1/8 inch pieces of rubber between the bracket and the stringer and i have put rubber washer to isolated the bolts from the bracket as well. I am subject to put rubber pads between the fuel cell and the stringer and if need be undercoat the entire fuel alluminum fuel cell. Thoughts?????

vision
03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
be nice if you 2 answered the question instead of wasting keystrokes on the keyboard. This is not about making my boat louder or faster its just a post to pick the guys that may have seen this issue before. Sorry im not a MC fanatic.

Nice. Sorry to waste the keystrokes.

JLeuck64
03-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Hey wait a minute... you've been reading that other thread haven't you? 8p

Skipper
03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
A marine carb should be used on a boat because it is designed to return fuel back into the carb instead of spraying it straight into the air. This keeps the boats from exploding. Your first post describes a typical problem with a carb fed motor on the water. I strongly suggest that you buy a marine 4160 carb and use the mechanical fuel pump as designed.

beautiful breeze
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
ok great suggestion. I have decided to go back to a brand new mech fuel pump. it will be here friday. i will be ordering "J" tube to install on the vents to make the practically new auto carb safer and I installed a "Pertronix" points elliminater kit that works awesome. Very pumped about it. It is as simple as it gets. Took 10 minutes to install. We actuated the lever to the old mech pump and could not even feel it suck my finger. Good sign the old one is bad. Looking forward to posting something soon about how the boat runs after the new mech fuel pump. Thanks peeps!!!