PDA

View Full Version : new skin doesn't match

djkslc
03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I have the 2002 Xstar. I needed some new skins on 2 of the back sunpad that is split in 3 sections. The middle compartment was splitting back by the sticking and the 1 side cover had a 3 inch tear in the back. I have a local upholstery guy that does great work and has redone some seats on other boats for me. Because of the age of the boat we were not able to match exact color, but the one we picked looked so close you would never be able to tell. Well he got them complete, did an amazing job, but when they are installed the difference in shade is more noticable than I would like. My wife thinks I am being OCD, and claims it is better to have no tears in the upholstery a slightly different shade, than a few small tears. I actually think it is better re-sale to have a few small tears and all original seats. Anyone have this situation out there? I am hoping out in the sun on the lake the difference is less noticeable.

flipper
03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
The sun will tone down the new color. Give it some time

Jerseydave
03-21-2011, 07:20 PM
do the 3rd one so they all match

ttu
03-21-2011, 07:39 PM

that would be my thought also.

ahhudgins
03-21-2011, 07:55 PM

I would have done all three at the same time. If two of them were falling apart, it won't be long before the third does the same. If you don't want to spend a few bucks on the third pad, just wait until you get some sun tan oil, sweat, dirt, and coke spilled on your new ones and you won't notice the difference.;)

east tx skier
03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I agree with "do the third one." From the pictures, it's hard to see what you're talking about. I'd take slight mismatch in color over torn seats.

2RLAKE
03-21-2011, 10:58 PM
if you are looking for morale support to buy a new boat then we all agree with you

I agree with do the third one ... no one will notice then

good luck

mayo93prostar
03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
You should have done all three if you are OCD and want them to match. there is no way a new skin is going to match a 9 year old skin. sorry. i also agree they will match better over time in the sun but a good lesson learned by all.

Jeff d
03-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I was so distracted by your misspelling of "tear" numerous times that I can't see a difference in your picture.

Seriously though, maybe it's my monitor, but I can't tell which one is original and which ones were replaced. Leave it and nobody will care accept you. Or, if it's worth it to you reskin the 3rd.

djkslc
03-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Got that tear thing fixed. My OCD doesn't include spelling. The color in the picture doesn't show as much of a difference. The two new ones are the middle and the one to the left of middle in the picture.

bturner2
03-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Another vote for doing the third cushion. With the center done it'll be hard to tell any work was done to the boat. It's a natural break point for the rest of the interior.

JohnE
03-22-2011, 09:06 AM
I agree with those that said that some time in the sun and on the water will blend them better, and also that I'd rather have it slightly mismatched than with some tears. Plus that vinyl was only going to deteriorate further. Bad year for vinyl from what i've heard.

Jim@BAWS
03-22-2011, 09:14 AM
I think that you will end up with a problem of weight. That new vinyl probably weighs more and will through the natural balance off in the universe and in the boat as well. Time for a new boat!

A boat with NEW vinyl vs used beat up and torn vinyl is worth more...at least in my eyes!!!

Jim@BAWS

djkslc
03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I took the third one back today to have it redone so entire sun deck matches.

brucemac
03-22-2011, 03:36 PM
nice. where in the "west" are you? if near seattle, who'd you use?

j4rowell
03-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Wow that looks horrible.

Just kidding. But seriously.

Do the third.

djkslc
03-22-2011, 06:37 PM
brucemac - in Salt lake. I use a local guy by the name of Bruce Lee. http://www.perfectupholstery.com/
He's very good about getting the new upholstery to fit just like the original.

Footin
03-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Looks great, go skiing.

bjw444
03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
I was so distracted by your misspelling of "tear" numerous times that I can't see a difference in your picture.

Seriously though, maybe it's my monitor, but I can't tell which one is original and which ones were replaced. Leave it and nobody will care accept you. Or, if it's worth it to you reskin the 3rd.

I love how you critique someones spelling and then you accept instead of except.... haha just giving you a hard time! :D

rgardjr1
03-22-2011, 11:48 PM
I love how you critique someones spelling and then you accept instead of except.... haha just giving you a hard time! :D

Pretty soon people are going to start accusing this place of being a K5 Blazer website ;)