PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lift Security

stuartmcnair
03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know of a way to add a security keypad to an existing boat lift? One that would cut off the electricity until a code was entered? Buddy going through a divorce and the wife will try to use the boat. Also, any way to secure the boat so it will not start without a security code? '08 model boat.

flipper
03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Any way to just turn the breaker off and lock the panel for now? Put a keyed master switch on the boat batteries?

ahhudgins
03-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm sure it could be done a lot easier with a cut off switch and a lock. No matter which method is used, it just sounds like someone is throwing fuel on the fire. If they are married, they both have the right to use it until it goes through the court system. Good luck with that one. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

CantRepeat
03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Take the coil wire off when he is done.

medicmoose
03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.lvrj.com/news/7387901.html

It could solve a couple of problems for your buddy! :D;)

aquaman
03-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Leave the plug out of the boat and give her the keys. : )

bturner2
03-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Any attempt to stop the wife from using the boat will certainly be like throwing gas on a fire however if you want to stop her from lowering the boat pulling the breaker will stop most women. If the lift has a wheel chain it.

As far as the boat goes pull off tether to the emergency switch and turn off the battery. Between the two most women will be stumped. Add to that turning off the fuel at the tank and you should have put enough easy roadblocks in the way to frustrate most people. Want to get deeper? Pull the fuel pump relay. That would stop most guys I know. Even if they figure it out they'll need to go to an auto parts store to get a relay.

The last idea would be to run the boat below a quarter tank a few times and burn the fuel pump out. And yes this makes about as much sense of stopping someone from using the boat that has a legal right to do so. :D

flipper
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Any pics of said ex? Just wondering :D

GT500 MC
03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Any pics of said ex? Just wondering :D

Now that's funny...

Jerseydave
03-21-2011, 07:17 PM
put some pet snakes in the boat.

Imagine her surprise when she removes the cover!

2RLAKE
03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
as others have said .... don't get involved ... who is getting the boat in the settlement?

G-Star
03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Now that's funny...

Don't forget classy :D

JohnnyB
03-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Worry about my boat on my lift with river traffic and the fact we can't see it from the house. I use a cable lock through the lift frame and wheel to keep it in the lift in the up position. I'll probably also put my game camera on the dock over the summer, just in case.

-J

JohnE
03-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Just tell your buddy to let her use the boat. Put the hostility aside and focus on settling the divorce. He locks the boat...she meets with her lawyer....he has to follow up with his lawyer....they both drop about a grand arguing over something stupid that will eventually either be worked out amicably or with a judge deciding.

Divorce isn't easy but both will be much better off if they work together. Trust me.

stuartmcnair
03-22-2011, 11:00 AM
The legal stuff is not the problem...boat is his...I don't need any info on that. I Was hoping someone had an idea on securing the lift. Breaker idea won't work and he is not mechanical at all for the other stuff. He doesn't want her deciding to just take it out for the day.

pmkkdx
03-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I tend to agree with the statements above on the legalities of her still being part owner of boat and adding fuel to the fire (would she inflict damage if it doesn't start or can't lower into the water?).

turn breaker off that provides power to life & lock breaker box ... or completely remove breaker.

remove coil wire and store in his vehicle ... would have to make trip to parts house IF she found it was missing, might discourage. Can probably disconnect wire to the ignition switch or pull ignition fuse that might stump her (& any persons with her).

flipper
03-22-2011, 11:24 AM
The legal stuff is not the problem...boat is his...I don't need any info on that. I Was hoping someone had an idea on securing the lift. Breaker idea won't work and he is not mechanical at all for the other stuff. He doesn't want her deciding to just take it out for the day.

I tend to agree with the statements above on the legalities of her still being part owner of boat and adding fuel to the fire (would she inflict damage if it doesn't start or can't lower into the water?).

turn breaker off that provides power to life & lock breaker box ... or completely remove breaker.

remove coil wire and store in his vehicle ... would have to make trip to parts house IF she found it was missing, might discourage. Can probably disconnect wire to the ignition switch or pull ignition fuse that might stump her (& any persons with her).

aquaman
03-22-2011, 11:47 AM
He could always go get The Club and lock the steering wheel.

ShawnB
03-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Put it on the trailer in the driveway.

broncotw
03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
What a nightmare scenario! Imagine a divorce where the two parties are fighting for custody rights of their children or even property! Then, throw in a MasterCraft into the equation! WOW! Should make a movie about that one!

aquaman
03-22-2011, 11:53 AM
He could get a girlfriend that has a Mastercraft. : )

GT500 MC
03-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Put it on the trailer in the driveway.

I know that would work. I don't even know her, but I bet there's no way she can back into a ramp successfully.

CantRepeat
03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
He could get a girlfriend that has a Mastercraft. : )

Best idea ever... until she finds out that you have a girlfriend and then her fire really gets turned up. ;)

CantRepeat
03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
I know that would work. I don't even know her, but I bet there's no way she can back into a ramp successfully.

That might be true of this woman. On the other hand, my wife gets compliments all the time on the ramp when backing the boat with 91 4x4 Suburban! Hell she laughs at the dudes backing their boats. It's pretty rewarding tbh. :D

GT500 MC
03-22-2011, 12:13 PM
That might be true of this woman. On the other hand, my wife gets compliments all the time on the ramp when backing the boat with 91 4x4 Suburban! Hell she laughs at the dudes backing their boats. It's pretty rewarding tbh. :D

I'm impressed. I love my wife dearly and she's my driver, but she couldn't begin to back into a ramp. Maybe if we were the only ones there (which as you know never happens), but with people observing, forget about it.

Barefooter92
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
When you leave wire the wheel direct to 220v. Should solve all your issues. Just remember to cut the power before you try and use it!

j4rowell
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Jump the fuel pump to the horn. Whenever the boat is running the horn will be sounding. If she really wants to use it she'll have to drive around the lake with the horn going non stop.

CardenFam
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Jump the fuel pump to the horn. Whenever the boat is running the horn will be sounding. If she really wants to use it she'll have to drive around the lake with the horn going non stop.

Reminds me of the time I put a backup alarm on my wifes car. PRICELESS:D

ttu
03-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Just tell your buddy to let her use the boat. Put the hostility aside and focus on settling the divorce. He locks the boat...she meets with her lawyer....he has to follow up with his lawyer....they both drop about a grand arguing over something stupid that will eventually either be worked out amicably or with a judge deciding.

Divorce isn't easy but both will be much better off if they work together. Trust me.

ditto! could not have said it better! been there done that:toast:

j4rowell
03-22-2011, 05:55 PM
That's what happens here on the MC forum. Everyone skips the question and gives you life advice.

CantRepeat
03-22-2011, 06:10 PM
That's what happens here on the MC forum. Everyone skips the question and gives you life advice.

My advice to you would be to change your location: with your wife... before she pulls the glock on your ***. :D

ahhudgins
03-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Any thing that is used to "secure" the lift can be by-passed with a set of bolt cutters or a few simple tools. A security keypad is a lot more involved than just slapping a keypad to a pole and can get rather expensive. If you buddy can't pull a coil wire, lanyard, or neutral safey wire, he is wasting his time trying to keep the boat off of the water.

Unless his wife signed a prenup, a boat brought into a marriage becomes marital property once money is spent on the boat as a couple (IE: Gas, repairs, parts, toys, etc). If the boat is "his" for some unknown reason, why does she have access to it? As many have said, he is just going to stir up a hornet's nest and make matters worse. Be civil about it and make things easier for both parties. Drain the oil out of the boat, that will show her!:rolleyes:

Jorski
03-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Could easily install a keyed switch:

http://www.evansoverheaddoor.com/images/MMTC.h21.gif

pmkkdx
03-23-2011, 09:58 AM

he is not mechanically inclined enough to pull a coil wire? :confused: hmmm

pretty much anything that can be done to secure the lift, can be bypassed with enough motivation ... could always get a chain and lock, throw over one of the rafters (or whatever is above the boat in the lift) and lock it to one of the lifting rings on the boat (bolt cutters can easily bypass but not everyone carries those in their vehicle :cool: )

JohnE
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Why not take the boat out of there if he is that concerned and let things play out as they will? I don't see any real security of trying to lock her out. If you disable the boat from starting she may just drop it in the water thinking it will start and leave it when it doesn't. Lock the lift and if she doesn't cut it free, she can get in and trash it if she's inclined. Put in Jorski's key lock and 4 phillips srews and a pair of linesman's bypasses that....

Get it out of there to assure nothing happens. And hopefully he gets to keep the boat after the divorce. I did.