PDA

View Full Version : Need advice...

03geetee
03-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Guys,

Thinking of replacing my rub rail insert and I read tons of threads already on this via the search function. What those threads really dont say much about is how to get the old stuff out of there. I dont want to replace my actual rub rail just the insert so I dont want to damage it when I pull out the insert.

My guess would be to use a heat gun and go slow but any other advice on how to do this? Also any specific silicone I should use when done to reseal any areas that may need it.

Thank you in advanced.

JTR

flipper
03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Just take the screws out on the back cap where the rubber comes together, and pull it out. Don't have to do anything special. No silicone is needed to replace just the insert.

rem_pss308
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
My insert needs replaceing also. where can you purchase it at?

Are they all the same style. just differetn colors?

03geetee
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Perform a search function on here it will provide you a ton of info on where to source it from. Lots of different styles, sizes ect depending on year.

JTR

SunCoast 83
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Never tried, is yours chewed up?

Miss Rita
03-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Here's a good place to start looking:

http://tacomarine.com/cat--Vinyl-Inserts--cat_rr_vinyl_inserts.html

wheelerd
03-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Guys,

My guess would be to use a heat gun and go slow but any other advice on how to do this? Also any specific silicone I should use when done to reseal any areas that may need it.

JTR

I did mine one spring when it was still fairly chilly out and used my wife's hair dryer to soften it up a bit. Also did the same when installing the new insert. Some people coil up the new insert in a tub of hot water. Having the insert warmed and flexible is not so critical when removing but is a must when installing.

JimN
03-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Guys,

Thinking of replacing my rub rail insert and I read tons of threads already on this via the search function. What those threads really dont say much about is how to get the old stuff out of there. I dont want to replace my actual rub rail just the insert so I dont want to damage it when I pull out the insert.

Thank you in advanced.

JTR

Wait until it's warm outside- it goes a lot easier. You won't damage the actual rail. To remove it, unscrew the piece at the middle of the transom and pry one side out. Pull it outward as you go and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get the whole insert out. The new one should be warm when you install it and you can use a rubber mallet- that's what they use at the factory. Find the mid-point and start at the bow, working your way back a few feet on each side before going all the way to the rear. If you use anything to lubricate it, use dish soap.

03geetee
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys. No worries on the heat its in heated storage so I can start whenever I need too. Good tips on getting it out, it really seems like it must be alot easier to remove then I thought so we will see.

Thank you again.

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Guys,

Thank you in advanced.

JTR

You were referring to applying silicone around the river heads to keep water out of the boat, right? Seems like everyone went right past that. I would assume a dab of good old clear RTV silicone.

03geetee
03-22-2011, 10:48 AM
You were referring to applying silicone around the river heads to keep water out of the boat, right? Seems like everyone went right past that. I would assume a dab of good old clear RTV silicone.

Actually I have a little area where the rail has come apart from the hull which I will reattach but I am just thinking a fresh bead around the top and bottom of the rail wouldnt hurt ya know?'

JTR

03geetee
03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for tips guys, the old rail insert came out with little drama thank god. Really thought it would be a bear to do but it wasnt.

Now for the fun part where the loose rivots are I want to drill them out and fill in the old holes with silicon. To attach a new fastener can I just move over an inch or so drill a new hole and pop in a new rivot? Seems easy enough but wanted to make sure so far I am looking at less then 10 rivots to replace.

I believe this is what I am after no???

http://tacomarine.com/item--1-x-1-2-Flexible-Vinyl-Insert--V12-0303.html

http://tacomarine.com/ccp51/media/images/product_detail/V12-0303.gif

Thanks for any help.

JTR

JimN
03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for tips guys, the old rail insert came out with little drama thank god. Really thought it would be a bear to do but it wasnt.

Now for the fun part where the loose rivots are I want to drill them out and fill in the old holes with silicon. To attach a new fastener can I just move over an inch or so drill a new hole and pop in a new rivot? Seems easy enough but wanted to make sure so far I am looking at less then 10 rivots to replace.

I believe this is what I am after no???

Thanks for any help.

JTR

Or, you could use stainless screws. Lots of boat manufacturers use those instead of rivets. Just put a dab of silicone in the hole before the screw goes in and don't over-torque them. You can use the same holes of they're clean and not fractured.

03geetee
03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Or, you could use stainless screws. Lots of boat manufacturers use those instead of rivets. Just put a dab of silicone in the hole before the screw goes in and don't over-torque them. You can use the same holes of they're clean and not fractured.

Any idea on size?

Or am I going to the hardware store a few times tomorrow!

HA!

JTR

G-Star
03-25-2011, 09:44 PM

You might also be able to re-rivet if you throw a backing washer on with the rivet. Those little things work wonders. Could be a major PITA to get the washers on though, depending where on the rail you're replacing the rivets...

thatsmrmastercraft
03-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Just start by inserting drill bits backwards through the hole to gauge what size screw you need to be working with. Make sure to get flat head screws so the screw heads don't interfere with the rub rail.

03geetee
03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks Fellas.

JTR

CantRepeat
03-26-2011, 07:26 AM
If you have a fastenal near you they have the aluminum rivets. I picked up a box when I replaced both the rub rail and the insert. I used a heat gun to warm the insert as I went along. I installed the bottom lip first and then just used a flat blade screwdriver to push the top lip in.

03geetee
03-26-2011, 09:16 AM
If you have a fastenal near you they have the aluminum rivets. I picked up a box when I replaced both the rub rail and the insert. I used a heat gun to warm the insert as I went along. I installed the bottom lip first and then just used a flat blade screwdriver to push the top lip in.

Im gonna try the slighly larger stainless screw method first and see how that works, if I am not satisfied then I will move over an inch or so and redrill/rivet. Going to use the turkey fryer method since we have one and me and my dad can pop her back in.

JTR