PDA

View Full Version : White Lithium Grease

MattsCraft
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Question - According to my owner’s manual, “White Lithium Grease” should be used to lube the rudder, Standard or White Lithium for the throttle, shifter and starter bendix. I have standard Lithium grease (Marine Wheel Bearing) and a mini 3 oz gun. I have plenty of this from my old trailer/bearing buddy system & really don’t want to purchase separate grease for the rudder. From what I have researched about White Lithium, used in applications where plastic is involved.

OK – so the question, will using standard Marine Lithium Grease cause harm to the rudder? I know White Lithium was used in the past as it is still on the fitting. I realize the easy answer, clean out the gun and purchase White Lithium as this would become universal.

Just one of those things that make you want to say Hmmmm…:rolleyes:

CantRepeat
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Question - According to my owner’s manual, “White Lithium Grease” should be used to lube the rudder, Standard or White Lithium for the throttle, shifter and starter bendix. I have standard Lithium grease (Marine Wheel Bearing) and a mini 3 oz gun. I have plenty of this from my old trailer/bearing buddy system & really don’t want to purchase separate grease for the rudder. From what I have researched about White Lithium, used in applications where plastic is involved.

OK – so the question, will using standard Marine Lithium Grease cause harm to the rudder? I know White Lithium was used in the past as it is still on the fitting. I realize the easy answer, clean out the gun and purchase White Lithium as this would become universal.

Just one of those things that make you want to say Hmmmm…:rolleyes:

That's what I used on my rudder last weekend. I have not used it in the other areas that are in question.

uncleboo
03-21-2011, 03:36 PM
It should work just fine. The lithium grease (white or otherwise) is for marine applications.