PDA

View Full Version : Easy fix for small upholstery tear?

Eric2010MCX2
03-20-2011, 10:56 PM
So somehow this small tear in the driver side rear cushion came about in our X2. This is hidden when the cushion is installed so its not a huge deal, but I do not want it to get larger.

I thought about trying to put it back in place with super glue or something... any ideas, or am I SOL unless i want to redo the cover?

hbomb
03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
had a similar issue....
being a small tear
how to explain (perhaps similar to patching a hole in wall plaster board.........

"glue" a small piece of vinyl behind the hole.......... then glue the tear down onto it.
does that make sense??
to hold it in place, thread a piece of say fishing line in the centre so that you can pull on it so it glues to the inside back of the vinyl........when this "backing piece" is dry . trim the line.. then glue the tear down onto this backing piece - gives it a "solid" surface to glue to instead of the cushion
the glue is a tack type glue which bonds pretty quickly
3M make amulti purpose glue suitbale for the job but a trip to the hardware will give you the glue you need....

Miss Rita
03-20-2011, 11:57 PM
You can google "vinyl repair kit" and get more information than you can handle. Or, you can take the cushion to a pro and the repair will be invisible when they're done with it.

fbroen
03-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Vinul repair glue will hod that together no prob. Put it on there and hold the pieces together as it dries (quickly). Perhaps put an additional layer of glue on top after first layer dries to give it some extra strength. Vinyl repair stuff is amazingly strong in my experience.

Eric2010MCX2
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks ya'll!

JohnE
03-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Had one similar on my 197 when I bought it in '07. Dealer had the Vinly Dr. repair it the next day and you could not tell it was ever there.

Craig
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok, so a lot of you guys have had 'Vinyl Dr's' and 'vinyl guys' fix some of these tears and all say that you never even know damage was there.

There also seems to be consensus that vinyl glue is an ok second choice but not as good at the 'vinyl guy'.

What do these mysterious 'vinyl guys' do that is so far superior to one of us regular joe's applying some vinyl glue? Is it a jedi mystery or does anyone know?

bturner2
03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
You may want to check here.....

http://www.vinylpro.com/

fentong
03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
I`ve used this in the past for a quick repair and to limit any further ripping. It`s not as sophisticated and some of the other repair options but it does the job. I keep it in on the boat in a small waterproof toolbox so it`s always handy when needed.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/4770-tearepair-aid-fabric-inflatable-patches-kit-type-pvc-vinyl-only-by-tearepair.html