PDA

View Full Version : Leaky trans cooler hose end

Jeff d
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I have an '00 Maristar 230 VRS with the Hurth v-drive/transmission.
I'm getting a decent leak from the upper transmission cooler hose at the cooler. The rate that it comes out varies based on RPM (No leak at all when idling) but I lost almost a quart in a matter of a couple of hours of wakeboarding. The oil is coming out through the transition between the crimped on fitting and the hex portion of the fitting. I've already tried tightening the hose at tight as I feel is appropriate then took it out for a test drive and it still leaks.

So, do I just need to replace the hose? Or are those fittings serviceable in some way? How does the swivel hex portion seal against the crimped on part? Even with it really tight I can still swivel the hose. Is this normal?

Do I just need to do the obvious and purchase a new hose from MasterCraft? Or is this a matter of replacing an O ring in the fitting or something?

Thanks,
Jeff

JimN
03-20-2011, 08:58 PM
I have an '00 Maristar 230 VRS with the Hurth v-drive/transmission.
I'm getting a decent leak from the upper transmission cooler hose at the cooler. The rate that it comes out varies based on RPM (No leak at all when idling) but I lost almost a quart in a matter of a couple of hours of wakeboarding. The oil is coming out through the transition between the crimped on fitting and the hex portion of the fitting. I've already tried tightening the hose at tight as I feel is appropriate then took it out for a test drive and it still leaks.

So, do I just need to replace the hose? Or are those fittings serviceable in some way? How does the swivel hex portion seal against the crimped on part? Even with it really tight I can still swivel the hose. Is this normal?

Do I just need to do the obvious and purchase a new hose from MasterCraft? Or is this a matter of replacing an O ring in the fitting or something?

Thanks,
Jeff

Any shop that can make up hydraulic lines should be able to set you up.

Jeff d
03-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok, thanks. I just went out and pulled one off. I noticed that both lines were seeping ever so slightly on the transmission end too. On that end the oil is coming back through the crimped on part of the fitting.

What kinds of places typically make hydraulic lines like this and deal with regular consumers?

Thanks,
Jeff

frosty
03-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok, thanks. I just went out and pulled one off. I noticed that both lines were seeping ever so slightly on the transmission end too. On that end the oil is coming back through the crimped on part of the fitting.

What kinds of places typically make hydraulic lines like this and deal with regular consumers?

Same.Exact.Thing.
Happened to me.
'98 Maristar 225 (basically the same as yours).

There is probably cheaper places to get hoses done, but few that can bench test and rebuild a ZF Hurth transmission for you.

Mastry Engine Center (http://mastry.com/)
They are in St. Pete., FL.

My 2 hoses cost about $330 :eek:...but they inspected and bench tested both the transmission and oil cooler for me, also.
With the new, heavy duty hose fittings, I can now replace the hoses, and keep the fittings (if there is a next time, it should be cheaper to fix).
The new hoses have a braided covering, and are flexible enough to bend into a pretzel shape.

Your profile says you are in the SE, if you are not local to them, you could measure your hoses, and call them for a quote.
If local, be sure to take in your oil cooler to have it pressure tested, also.
It was (another) expensive lesson, but they are good people, that know what they are doing.
I would not hesitate to return to Mastry if I had another transmission problem.
I'm sure someone else has a suggestion for a cheaper place, though.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Do you have a Pirtek location near you?

http://www.pirtekusa.com/service/default.asp

Table Rocker
03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
You should be able to take your old hoses to Oreilly Auto and come home with new ones for a reasonable price.

wheelerd
03-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I had to replace the pressure hose on my boat last year. The rubber dries out from the heat after awhile and starts to leak around the brass fittings. Just looked up "hoses" in the Yellow Pages, found a shop near me, took in the old hose, and $30 later had a brand new one. Looks exactly the same as the factory original.

André
03-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I had to replace the pressure hose on my boat last year. The rubber dries out from the heat after awhile and starts to leak around the brass fittings. Just looked up "hoses" in the Yellow Pages, found a shop near me, took in the old hose, and $30 later had a brand new one. Looks exactly the same as the factory original.

Same thing here.NAPA was able to make one for me in about a minute and a half for 32 $...
Any hydraulic shop could do that.

blakehardesty
03-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Same.Exact.Thing.
Happened to me.
'98 Maristar 225 (basically the same as yours).

There is probably cheaper places to get hoses done, but few that can bench test and rebuild a ZF Hurth transmission for you.

Mastry Engine Center (http://mastry.com/)
They are in St. Pete., FL.

My 2 hoses cost about $330 :eek:...but they inspected and bench tested both the transmission and oil cooler for me, also.
With the new, heavy duty hose fittings, I can now replace the hoses, and keep the fittings (if there is a next time, it should be cheaper to fix).
The new hoses have a braided covering, and are flexible enough to bend into a pretzel shape.

Your profile says you are in the SE, if you are not local to them, you could measure your hoses, and call them for a quote.
If local, be sure to take in your oil cooler to have it pressure tested, also.
It was (another) expensive lesson, but they are good people, that know what they are doing.
I would not hesitate to return to Mastry if I had another transmission problem.
I'm sure someone else has a suggestion for a cheaper place, though.

$330???? NAPA will do it for 10% of that. You got hosed! Pun Intended.

Jeff d
03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
FWIW it looks like the fittings on each end are "AN" or Army-Navy fittings. I have to measure my actual fittings but based on the 1/2" hose size this chart indicates that they would be -8 (as in 8/16" properly reduced to 1/2". In my boat we always properly reduce our fractions!).

http://www.gre6.com/ansize

Jeff d
05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Thought I'd post an update here that might save someone some trouble. I brought the lines to NAPA and they made me up 2 new ones that were supposedly the same accept with steel fittings. I installed them and all seemed good.

Next time I took the boat out I was leaking at all 4 fittings. Just slightly but all were leaking. I tightened them all up and took it out again but a couple were still leaking. Tightened them up more and one was still leaking slightly.

I gave up and ordered them from my MasterCraft dealer. He asked me what the length was and I said I thought they were about 3 ft. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that they couldn't determine the length based on the model, year and engine but that seems to be par for the course for the way that MasterCraft makes part lists available. So, he got me the 36" ones but they were about 2-3" too short. These were a newer style with the elbows built in and some sort of "quick disconnect". He had a pair of old style 40" lines in stock so I swapped them out.

When I removed the NAPA hose I noticed that the shoulder/mating surface on the inside of the connectors was much narrower than the OEM hoses. I also noticed that it seems like the angled mating surface of the elbows was a bit deformed by the NAPA hoses combined with my continued efforts to tighten them. Couldn't be sure though because they all looked the same.

I installed the new/old style hoses on there and hopefully will be done with the leaks. If not I might need new elbows. Are those commonplace or do I need to get them from MasterCraft?

Thanks,
Jeff