PDA

View Full Version : Vibration

bcampbe7
07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I have noticed a slight vibration when towing the MC right at 60MPH. Could this be as simple as a balancing issue or is it more severe, like a wheel bearing? I just noticed it b/c I usually never tow over 45MPH. I grease the bearing buddies about 1/month or so. Are these hard to replace?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
I have noticed a slight vibration when towing the MC right at 60MPH. Could this be as simple as a balancing issue or is it more severe, like a wheel bearing? I just noticed it b/c I usually never tow over 45MPH. I grease the bearing buddies about 1/month or so. Are these hard to replace?
I would guess at 60 a vibration would more than likely be a wheel out of balance. It could be the hub to, but I would put my 2 cents on the wheel. Have it spun on a balancer at any tire shop and they will tell you, should only be a few bucks. Cheap insurance because vibrations can cause other issues down the road.

bcampbe7
07-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks Tim! I will have them checked soon.

G-man
07-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I always balance the wheels on a trailer. I think it wears less on all the parts of the trailer. Trailer wheels should come balanced from the dealer, my car did.

east tx skier
07-18-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree that an out of balance wheel is the most likely culprit. Past that, you might want to inspect your tires to see if they have any knots or similar defects in them as this can cause vibrations as well.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 05:32 PM
I always balance the wheels on a trailer. I think it wears less on all the parts of the trailer. Trailer wheels should come balanced from the dealer, my car did.

I was assuming he is refering to the '96, therefore the possiblity of being a '95/96 built trailer would mean 10 year old tires. First conclusion of mine would be many miles, second would be if not alot of miles alot of sitting which would mean flat spots. Not that either would contribute to out of balance from the dealer. Weights can fall of, get damaged, tire could have been patched or plugged, all of these can contribute to a significant vibe at 60mph.

OhioProstar
07-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Great points Workin'....also remember that just because you pump grease into a bearing buddy doesn't mean that the rear bearing is getting enough coverage. I have seen hubs where the front bearings looked great and the rear bearings looked waxey and one foot in the grave. Pack and re-Pack. Of course the newer trailers with Zerk fittings directly in the spline give coverage to the back bearing pretty well. Just my $.02

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Definetly I wouldn't void out bearings. But I would start with tires and/or rims.
No matter grease or not, they don't last forever, especially being submerged in water with every use.

bcampbe7
07-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Just had them balanced last night. They were pretty off balance according to the shop. Didn't have chance to road test last night but hopefully that took care of the vibration.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Just had them balanced last night. They were pretty off balance according to the shop. Didn't have chance to road test last night but hopefully that took care of the vibration.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. :toast:
Did you try it out yet? Problem solved?

bcampbe7
08-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Did you try it out yet? Problem solved?

Problem solved! Thanks for the suggestions. :toast: