PDA

View Full Version : Installed the bullet nosed strut this weekend

ncsone
03-20-2011, 02:45 PM
As the title says, I installed the 2011 'bullet nose' strut on my 197TT this weekend. A big thanks to Eric @ OJ for answering all of my questions prior to my ordering it.

This new strut is supposed to clean up the water flow prior to the propeller, making the prop more efficient. The general consensus around the internet is that this strut makes the ProStar wake a little softer.

It took me about 4.5 hours to do the full change, including time to do an engine/shaft alignment once everything was re-installed. The old strut is held on with 3M 5200 adhesive - it took me 3 good prybars and 1/2 can of Marine Formula De-Bond and an hour of work just to separate the strut from the hull and the adhesive.

I am thinking I will probably write up the steps involved in changing the strut out. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will make sure to get it written up in detail.

The result? Well, I have not skied it yet, but I did lake test it 2x this weekend. The non-scientific results makes me think it will make a difference. It could have just been me, but it did seem like the boat was a little more free on the water and the engine did not work as hard pushing the hull up to speed. Visually, it also appeared that the column of water leaving the stern of the boat from the prop was slightly smaller. Again, this is all visual observation and seat of the pants feel so far. I did gain about a MPH on the top end of the boat, it appears.

Also, the strut comes with new bearings installed. The new bearings have made a difference as well as the old ones were noticeably worn without me realizing it. So, it was good to change the bearings if nothing else.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about this. Crappy cell phone picture attached.

mcdrew
03-20-2011, 03:22 PM
NCSONE Thank you for the info on installing this new strut. I have the exact same boat as yours and am very interested to see how it works. I have heard some positive comments about this new strut, but would like to hear some actual opinions on how it actually works.

ProStar Slalom
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Hmmm...interesting design, sort of like the bow design that is commonly used on large ships. Trying to visualize how it would reduce all of the turbulence that the drive shaft and strut above it create? Hopefully Jesus Freak will be along shortly for some analysis....

MIskier
03-20-2011, 03:55 PM
The cone works to keep the water from being broken up by the leading edge of the strut, this means that you have a cleaner flow of water with less turbulence entering the prop. The reduction in the amount of entrapped air entering the prop means there is less "slip" which causes the prop to work more efficiently.

macattack
03-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I have a promo dealer friend who gets a new TT each year; he said the bullet nose strut makes the wake table softer; so much, he over skied the buoys the first couple of passes behind his 2011.

Would be interesting to see some video of the wake before and after the strut installation.

NCSONE: Would like to see your step by step instructions; did you use any heat/hairdryer to help remove the 5200; how far off was your strut alignment, how much did the strut cost? tks, mac

PS: I can just hear my wife, you need a bullet nose strut because why? Answer, whatever it takes to get one more buoy:D

ncsone
03-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Mac -

Give me a day or so on the how-to instructions.

Tried the heat/hairdryer method as well with no luck; I even took a portable propane torch to it to heat it up as well. I had the strut hot to the touch and it still did not budge.

My alignment was off a fair amount - I probably moved the front of the engine about 3-4mm to get it in line. I suspect that it was a little bit out of alignment beforehand, though. After replacement, my prop spins slightly easier by hand than it did before and this is after having new strut bearings in place. The new strut bearings were noticeably tighter than the old ones.

I bought mine direct from Eric @ OJ.

east tx skier
03-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Sweet! Get that boat down here! I can't wait to try it! I just sent Todd an email this morning asking him how long before he has this on his new to him 197. Didn't know you were giving this a go.

ncsone
03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Doug -

You call, I'll haul. Got a new ski, new updates to the boat, new handle and ready to hit the water. I think I have at least one day open next weekend.

-NCS

east tx skier
03-20-2011, 08:20 PM
We're out of town next weekend. We have a date for the ski club meeting. I'll send out an email next week. Got the boat back with a couple of gauge updates and a new battery switch yesterday. Washed and waxed, changed the impeller, and tightened the screws last night. Ready for the season. Got out and skied until it hurt last weekend. Took this weekend off.

Jeff Lyman
03-20-2011, 09:53 PM
I like the nose cone deal. Would it fit a 93 PS 205? My boat has 1700 hours and the prop shaft turns very hard a new bearing is probably needed so why not step up. I could care less about speed but a chance to soften the wake is well worth 275.

In the 80's I spent my hours of R&D with nose cones on 100mph light weight outboards. We could run the prop just more than half out of the water at 8 thousand RPM with the right style nose cones. Bet that MC design will work great. Anything that takes the air bubbles out of the water is a winner in efficiency! But I dont understand why it could soften the wake I would guess just the opposite. Less air and more water should mean harder ?????

Skipper
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Where do you buy that thing? I'll take one.

ncsone
03-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I like the nose cone deal. Would it fit a 93 PS 205? My boat has 1700 hours and the prop shaft turns very hard a new bearing is probably needed so why not step up. I could care less about speed but a chance to soften the wake is well worth 275.

In the 80's I spent my hours of R&D with nose cones on 100mph light weight outboards. We could run the prop just more than half out of the water at 8 thousand RPM with the right style nose cones. Bet that MC design will work great. Anything that takes the air bubbles out of the water is a winner in efficiency! But I dont understand why it could soften the wake I would guess just the opposite. Less air and more water should mean harder ?????

Jeff -

The 'harder' wake comes from the prop pushing a large column of water out the back of the boat due to the drag against the boat. If you can reduce the drag, the prop becomes more efficient in pushing the boat forward without an opposite force. At least, that is how I interpret it.

ncsone
03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Where do you buy that thing? I'll take one.

Skipper -

Reach out to Eric at OJ props. He is a member here on this forum.

-NCS

willyt
03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Jeff -

The 'harder' wake comes from the prop pushing a large column of water out the back of the boat due to the drag against the boat. If you can reduce the drag, the prop becomes more efficient in pushing the boat forward without an opposite force. At least, that is how I interpret it.

How would that affect wakeboarding boats, when the idea is to have high drag, and firm wakes then? To my understanding, these struts are standard on all 2011 models.

east tx skier
03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Here's the list of compatible boats. Wont work on 1" drive shafts. So older 1:1s wont work.

http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-Nosecone-Strut-p/mastercraft_nosecone_strut.htm
MasterCraft Nosecone Strut

The Nosecone strut is all new for 2011 MasterCraft boats and can be retro fitted to many older MasterCraft boats! Unlike conventional struts which "chop" the water this strut is designed to create a clean flow of water to the prop. This unique design leads to an increase in performance and top end speed without changing your prop! This strut makes an excellent upgrade to older MasterCraft boats by producing a faster boat with a bit flatter wake table making it a perfect option for waterski and wakeboard boats alike. Makes a great replacement for an older bent strut too.

This MasterCraft boat part features an 8 bolt mounting pattern and is designed for boats with a 1-1/8" drive shaft. Please note this strut WILL NOT WORK WITH 1" DRIVE SHAFTS.

This strut will fit the following MasterCraft boats with a 1-1/8" drive shaft. 1-18" drive shafts are used on ALL MasterCraft V-Drives and PowerSlot Direct Drives. If you are unsure of your boats drive shaft diameter please contact us with your boats HULL ID and we can ensure you get the correct parts.

1996-1998 MasterCraft MariStar 200
2006-2011 MasterCraft MariStar 200
1994-1995 MasterCraft MariStar 200 Direct Drive
1999-2006 MasterCraft MariStar 210
1991-1992 MasterCraft MariStar 210 Direct Drive
2006-2011 MasterCraft MariStar 215
1994-1998 MasterCraft MariStar 225
1999-2010 MasterCraft MariStar 230
2008-2011 MasterCraft MariStar 235
1989-1992 MasterCraft MariStar 240
2005-2011 MasterCraft MariStar 245
2003-2011 MasterCraft MariStar 280

1987-2011 MasterCraft ProStar 190, including Tournament Team and Sammy Duvall Edition
2000-2001 MasterCraft ProStar 195
2002-2011 MasterCraft ProStar 197, including Tournament Team and Sammy Duvall Edition
1992-2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205, including Sammy Duvall Edition
2000-2005 MasterCraft ProStar 205V
2001-2006 MasterCraft ProStar 209, Including Sammy Duvall Edition
2007-2011 MasterCraft ProStar 214
2009-2011 MasterCraft ProStar 214V

1998-2003 MasterCraft Skier 19, including 1999 Open Bow
1987-1992 MasterCraft TriStar 190
1987-1992 MasterCraft TriStar 220

2006-2011 MasterCraft X-1
2001-2005 MasterCraft X-10
2007-2011 MasterCraft X-14
2009-2011 MasterCraft X-14V
2006-2011 MasterCraft X-15
2003-2011 MasterCraft X-2
2001-2010 MasterCraft X-30
2008-2011 MasterCraft X-35
2005-2011 MasterCraft X-45
2000-2001 MasterCraft X-5
2009-2011 MasterCraft X-55
2002-2011 MasterCraft X-7
2003-2011 MasterCraft X-80
2001-2006 MasterCraft X-9
1999-2011 MasterCraft X-Star

1redTA
03-21-2011, 07:54 AM
no S&S love?

EJ OJPROP
03-21-2011, 08:19 AM
We can do the bearings for the new struts in 1".

Skipper
03-21-2011, 02:34 PM
So Tex, you are saying they don't make a strut for the one inch shaft. I am going to just have to buy a new boat instead? I'll tell my wife. Thanks!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-21-2011, 02:48 PM
So Tex, you are saying they don't make a strut for the one inch shaft. I am going to just have to buy a new boat instead? I'll tell my wife. Thanks!

We can do the bearings for the new struts in 1".

Eric just screwed up your plan for a new boat. :D

east tx skier
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM

True, they don't make it for a 1" shaft, but apparently, it's just a matter of replacing the bearings if I read Eric's post correctly.

New boats are expensive. Tell your wife that you could save $50K by spending $400.

EJ OJPROP
03-21-2011, 03:25 PM
The base of the strut is the same, we can press in either 1" or 1 1/8" bearings, for less than $400.00.

ncsone
03-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Hey all - I wrote up a step by step process of how I did this replacement. If anyone is interested in seeing it, PM me your email address and I will send it over.

-NCS

aquaman
03-22-2011, 10:53 AM
True, they don't make it for a 1" shaft, but apparently, it's just a matter of replacing the bearings if I read Eric's post correctly.

New boats are expensive. Tell your wife that you could save $50K by spending $400.

no, no, no. Tell the wife you can save $400 by spending just $50k. Thats what she would do . :)

Jorski
03-22-2011, 02:44 PM
NCSONE...post it! I think there are a lot of us who would be interested in your write-up!

CantRepeat
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Just from a history prospective, was it Dennis Conner that first used this shape and was it on the keel of his sail boat? I don't remember but I know I read something about it a long time ago.

CantRepeat
03-22-2011, 03:26 PM
The base of the strut is the same, we can press in either 1" or 1 1/8" bearings, for less than $400.00.

BTW, Eric, thanks for the fast shipping on the drop down swim step brackets! :D

EJ OJPROP
03-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Welcome Tim. Thanks for the order.

Jesus_Freak
03-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Hmmm...interesting design, sort of like the bow design that is commonly used on large ships. Trying to visualize how it would reduce all of the turbulence that the drive shaft and strut above it create? Hopefully Jesus Freak will be along shortly for some analysis....

Thanks.

The cone works to keep the water from being broken up by the leading edge of the strut, this means that you have a cleaner flow of water with less turbulence entering the prop. The reduction in the amount of entrapped air entering the prop means there is less "slip" which causes the prop to work more efficiently.

I agree; good summary. It helps for two reasons...

1. Turbulence fluctuations are produced when water passes around the strut. These velocity fluctuations interfere with the prop's energy conversion. There is still plenty of turbulence, however, from the bulk of the lake and the hull bottom, although what is coming from the lake and the hull bottom have different characteristics than what is produced around the strut.

2. The second reason it helps, as MIskier says, is less air entrainment in the water entering the prop-affected zone. If the flow is cavitating on the strut, this at least helps to reduce some (not all) of it.

I am skeptical as to how much it helps. The "cleaned up" streamwise flow is still misaligned with the prop thrust. I am not sure how this can be avoided completely. I have some ideas...

Scott Wood, OJ, and I (on separate occasions) discussed this over a year ago. If someone can talk Scott (or OJ) into sending me detailed drawings of the strut before and after, I can tell you how much better it is. ;)

Jeff Lyman
03-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Great it will fit my boat! Does anyone know how much? Do we order it direct from a MC dealer.

MIskier
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
You can order direct through OJ. Eric at OJ is a member on here, just look at the second page of this thread for his post.

sand2snow22
03-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Or 2 posts above yours......:)

DooSPX
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
You will not be sorry ordering anything from Eric at OJ. Great person to talk to and always wanting to help you!
If this thing works, looks like I will be saving $400 and giving Eric another call. LOL

ProStar Slalom
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks.

I am skeptical as to how much it helps. The "cleaned up" streamwise flow is still misaligned with the prop thrust. I am not sure how this can be avoided completely. I have some ideas...

Scott Wood, OJ, and I (on separate occasions) discussed this over a year ago. If someone can talk Scott (or OJ) into sending me detailed drawings of the strut before and after, I can tell you how much better it is. ;)

Yep, I'm maintaining my skepticism. I'm sure it would help a small amount, but don't see how it can clean up all of the other turbulent flow created by the rest of the strut and the driveshaft. OK, JF, counting on you for some computer-assisted analysis; I haven't studied fluid mechanics in almost 20 years.

CantRepeat
03-29-2011, 03:56 PM
JF,

If you get a chance to look at the data, I'd really like to know how efficient it is and what is the most efficient speed.

I listened to and watch some video about how this is a gas saver as well. So data at say 11, 26 and 36 mph would be awesome!

EJ OJPROP
03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Curious as where you saw that info....

CantRepeat
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Curious as where you saw that info....

It was in a Mastercraft video with the guy that does most of the rewind stuff. Let me see if I can find it.

CantRepeat
03-29-2011, 04:16 PM
In this video, VP of sales Parker Stair talks about the pure flow strut making the prop more efficient and provides for better gas mileage.

http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/2011/03/18/video-mastercraft-boats-factory-tour/

Look for it after the half way point when he comes back on camera and talks about why the boats cost more.

EJ OJPROP
03-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Very cool, thanks.

94PS190
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Love it, it makes a MC faster, but will it make it louder?

Jesus_Freak
03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Yep, I'm maintaining my skepticism. I'm sure it would help a small amount, but don't see how it can clean up all of the other turbulent flow created by the rest of the strut and the driveshaft. OK, JF, counting on you for some computer-assisted analysis; I haven't studied fluid mechanics in almost 20 years.

Yes, the driveshaft, unmodified section of the strut, lake water (as a whole) and hull are creating interference (via turbulence fluctuations) that cannot be fixed. Also, the angle mismatch issue is not fixed.

JF,

If you get a chance to look at the data, I'd really like to know how efficient it is and what is the most efficient speed.

I listened to and watch some video about how this is a gas saver as well. So data at say 11, 26 and 36 mph would be awesome!

Perhaps some subset of TMC could make contact with MC headquarters to suggest they send me info. in order to do the analysis ;)?

CantRepeat
03-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Yes, the driveshaft, unmodified section of the strut, lake water (as a whole) and hull are creating interference (via turbulence fluctuations) that cannot be fixed. Also, the angle mismatch issue is not fixed.

Perhaps some subset of TMC could make contact with MC headquarters to suggest they send me info. in order to do the analysis ;)?

I wonder if Eric is under and ND with MC on the data?

Jesus_Freak
03-30-2011, 08:09 AM
I wonder if Eric is under and ND with MC on the data?

Well, I am covered by an NDA with MC, so none of this should be a problem...

CantRepeat
03-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Well, I am covered by an NDA with MC, so none of this should be a problem...

So even if you had the data on the new strut you couldn't talk/post about it?

Strange. If the data was out there about it I might put the cash down for one.

DooSPX
03-30-2011, 12:34 PM
So even if you had the data on the new strut you couldn't talk/post about it?

Strange. If the data was out there about it I might put the cash down for one.

Agreed! I really do not see why MC would have a NDA about the new strut. I do not think it has anything to do with the driveshaft in the water, I think its more to clean the turbulence around the prop. Much like my experience with nose cones on outboards to help prevent blowouts at higher speeds, but I can see this working with a submerged setup rather than surface running like most outboard applications. My big question is is it possible to cleanup the turbulence that much at 20-45mph vs. 85+ for a performance outboard.
Then again, large ships have been using the same cone on the front of there submerged hulls to help break up the turbulence going around the hull for a long time now.

MIskier
03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Agreed! I really do not see why MC would have a NDA about the new strut. I do not think it has anything to do with the driveshaft in the water, I think its more to clean the turbulence around the prop. Much like my experience with nose cones on outboards to help prevent blowouts at higher speeds, but I can see this working with a submerged setup rather than surface running like most outboard applications. My big question is is it possible to cleanup the turbulence that much at 20-45mph vs. 85+ for a performance outboard.
Then again, large ships have been using the same cone on the front of there submerged hulls to help break up the turbulence going around the hull for a long time now.

The bulb bow on a large ship doesn't so much reduce turbulence as it reduces resistance by acting to cancel out the bow wave a ship without the bulbous bow would create. Think of the bulb like the white noise used in noise canceling headphones to cancel out the surrounding areas sound waves.

DooSPX
03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Got it! Thanks MI!
As I said, I only have experience in nose cones on surface running outboards. Thank you for the correction on the ships' bulb. I wasn't sure, but I should have re-phrased my post stating I think rather than making sound like a fact which it was clearly not.

I still can see the theory behind the new strut and it might help a little but how much is the question. I would buy it if NCSONE comes back stating it works noticeably better.

Jesus_Freak
03-31-2011, 06:46 AM

Sorry...let me clarify. I did not mean to imply that there is an NDA in place just for the new strut. All I was saying was that, as a consultant, I can only release what they allow me to on things in general.

The bulb bow on a large ship doesn't so much reduce turbulence as it reduces resistance by acting to cancel out the bow wave a ship without the bulbous bow would create. Think of the bulb like the white noise used in noise canceling headphones to cancel out the surrounding areas sound waves.

Good call, :), which is why there is a bulb for subsurface waves and a sharp edge for surface waves.

Skipper
03-31-2011, 07:34 AM
That's how MC makes them big wakeboard boats right? Big bulb up under the bow and sharp edges above the surface?

DooSPX
03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Sorry...let me clarify. I did not mean to imply that there is an NDA in place just for the new strut. All I was saying was that, as a consultant, I can only release what they allow me to on things in general.

Good call, :), which is why there is a bulb for subsurface waves and a sharp edge for surface waves.

Got it! Thank you JF!! cant wait to hear more results on this...

atlfootr
03-31-2011, 10:34 AM
I always knew MC cost more, now this xplains everything!
Video: MasterCraft Boats Factory Tour
http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/2011/03/18/video-mastercraft-boats-factory-tour/
:)

rhsprostar
03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
PM sent! How did it ski?

Hey all - I wrote up a step by step process of how I did this replacement. If anyone is interested in seeing it, PM me your email address and I will send it over.

-NCS

Sullivan
03-31-2011, 09:14 PM
PM sent! How did it ski?

Yeah, I've been waiting to hear the important part. How did it ski?

ncsone
03-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Sorry guys - have not had a chance to ski it yet. Newborns (2) in the house, home relo and cold weather have prevented me from skiing it yet. I will let you know as soon as I do, though.

Sullivan
03-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Sure!!! Hiding behind the kids!

I know what you are going through.

ncsone
04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
All -

I messed this up. I went out yesterday AM with the boat to ski the boat with the new strut and let you guys know what I thought. I found some good (open) water and started thinking about my run. Just then, I realized I left me wetsuit at home.

I did shoot some video if it helps - I am not sure that it will. However, after sitting in the observer seat while my wife drove for an hour, it does appear that 1) the column of water generated by the prop is smaller and 2) the boat is much 'free-er' on the water. For example, it seems like the engine is not working nearly as hard at 36 mph as it used to. This, to me, means greater efficiency at the prop.

Video was shot at about 33-34 mph, I believe.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fNMwVoUYgY

EDIT: Added screen shot pic from video.

Good luck!

-NCS

ahhudgins
04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Now you need to put your old strut back in and shoot another video for comparison! :D

ahhudgins
04-03-2011, 10:34 AM
That was meant as a joke but the smiley face still isn't working!

Sullivan
04-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for sharing the video. That is one sweet looking 197TT. What boom are you using?

ncsone
04-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Sully - it's an old ECI boom from the 90's. It is the best accessory you can have on a boat - great for a lot of different uses.

snork
04-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Wetsuit, really? water temps are burrfect 65+ deg.

frosty
04-03-2011, 12:05 PM
water temps are burrfect 65+ deg.

LOL! "Burrfect"
I'm gonna steal that!

Sullivan
04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Sully - it's an old ECI boom from the 90's. It is the best accessory you can have on a boat - great for a lot of different uses.

Thanks, I figured I would get one so I could teach the wife to barefoot and teach my boys to ski (or barefoot) too.

One other question about the boom. Are the cables hard on the hull or the boom on the top of the gunnel?

ncsone
04-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Sully -no, neither. The boom has a plastic sleeve to protect the gunnel and a sleeve to protect the bow from the cables. It is the best teaching tool there is for skiing, footing, wakebaording, etc.

BTW, the bend in that boom is not a standard feature. We did that on our own by accident. However, now that we have done it, it is a nice feature to have an 'articulated' boom. It helps keep the skier's (etc.) hands level rather than at an incline.

Jesus_Freak
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Got it! Thank you JF!! cant wait to hear more results on this...

I have sequestered the drawing/details on the MC bulb design and have started the computational flow study. I have notified MC HQ and am waiting for feedback in order to know how to proceed. I won't share any actual numbers, such as drag coefficient, etc. until they have cleared it.

DooSPX
04-05-2011, 12:29 AM
no problem! Thanks! But you will be able to tell us if it works right? I mean, no detailed info, but a simple it works and does what it claims is legal correct?

Jesus_Freak
04-08-2011, 06:43 AM
no problem! Thanks! But you will be able to tell us if it works right? I mean, no detailed info, but a simple it works and does what it claims is legal correct?

Yes, that is my goal, but I would strongly prefer to open communication with them first. I continue to get the silent treatment. :confused:

DooSPX
04-09-2011, 10:55 PM
What is it that MC is so afraid of?

Jesus_Freak
04-10-2011, 09:30 AM
What is it that MC is so afraid of?

Great question! I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that their lack of motivation to pursue these advanced studies is based less on fear and more on the fact that they are swamped with other business issues. Hydrodynamics may not be at the top of their priority listing.

I will probably give them another week before I start showing generalized, non-proprietary comparative results here.

CantRepeat
04-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Great question! I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that their lack of motivation to pursue these advanced studies is based less on fear and more on the fact that they are swamped with other business issues. Hydrodynamics may not be at the top of their priority listing.

I will probably give them another week before I start showing generalized, non-proprietary comparative results here.

Is the strut proprietary to MC or does OJ hold the patent?

Also, people do independent studies all the time. Could this work not fall under that if you are not under NDA?

DooSPX
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
My guess is MC thought of it and patented it, just hired OJ to make it.

rhsprostar
04-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Any real life ski experience with one of these yet....i am curious..

Jesus_Freak
04-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Is the strut proprietary to MC or does OJ hold the patent?

Also, people do independent studies all the time. Could this work not fall under that if you are not under NDA?

Yes, but independent studies take funding. These analyses are not your every day Walmart engineering problems.

My guess is MC thought of it and patented it, just hired OJ to make it.

That is my guess as well, but I have no idea.

I have completed enough of the study to share. Look for another thread....

MIskier
04-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Any real life ski experience with one of these yet....i am curious..

There are a few guys over on ballofspray.com that have tt boats, and the responses have ranged from no difference to feeling that the wake is softer. The pros that I have spoken with all have said that the new strut did improve the wakes.

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 04:16 PM
There are a few guys over on ballofspray.com that have tt boats, and the responses have ranged from no difference to feeling that the wake is softer. The pros that I have spoken with all have said that the new strut did improve the wakes.

You spoke to Marcus?

MIskier
04-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Karen, Freddy, and the Llewellyns who were the first to test it, as well as the Bennett family and the team of Brits that were training there a few weeks ago.

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Karen, Freddy, and the Llewellyns who were the first to test it, as well as the Bennett family and the team of Brits that were training there a few weeks ago.

lol, I was waiting for you start dropping names. :D

TX.X-30 fan
04-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I spoke with Fred Jones, Daphne Blake, Velma Dinkley, Shaggy Rogers and Scooby Doo they were not wow-ed at all by the strut.

MIskier
04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
lol, I was waiting for you start dropping names. :D

Those are the pro's whose feelings about the new design I have heard, ergo "the pro's" referred to in the earlier post.

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Those are the pro's whose feelings about the new design I have heard, ergo "the pro's" referred to in the earlier post.

So the right answer to the question, did you talk to Marcus, is NO. :rolleyes: Keep pumping that eRep.

DooSPX
04-17-2011, 06:12 PM
I spoke with Fred Jones, Daphne Blake, Velma Dinkley, Shaggy Rogers and Scooby Doo they were not wow-ed at all by the strut.

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Skipper
04-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Scooby dooby doooooh!