PDA

View Full Version : sluggish post winter engine blues - Part 2

Capt. K
03-20-2011, 10:05 AM
1992 Prostar 205 - Before checking the timing my mechanic took off the carb to inspect it for any problems. He also replaced the fuel filter.

Yesterday I ran the boat, it was a little hard to start (smelling gas), but it did run good. After 20 minutes I went back to the dock, sat for 15 minutes, then it wouldn't start (smelling gas and no spark). I waited 30 minutes and then it cranked right up. I turned it off and tried to re-start it, but no spark. I drained the remainder of the battery.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, hence the mechanic. Could my mechanic accidentally done something to the carb, which is relatively new (2007) when he took it off and reinstalled?

Luv2Ski
03-21-2011, 08:42 AM
What did he do when he had it off to "inspect it".

Short answer is yes. It sounds like your carb is leaking fuel when the engine is sitting. Likely causes are a blown power valve or leaky needle and seat. It is more likely the needle and seat as a carb that new has power-valve protection. Might just have a piece of junk stuck in the needle/seat, might have happened when the carb was removed. Can start with just taking the bowl off and cleaning.