PDA

View Full Version : fuel/water separator

blorr
03-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I have a 91 prostar and I don't have the inline spin on separator in between the tank and the fuel pump. Don't know why, but the previous owner must have taken it out.

Is it necessary that I have one on there?

It has run fine without it, but now I'm wondering.

Thanks!

east tx skier
03-18-2011, 03:40 PM
It may be that it never had one. The manual for the 1990 PS 190 makes no reference to the spin on filter. My 93 had a fuel/water separator on it, but it was a pretty short lived piece of equipment. You should still have a housing near the fuel pump that has a fuel filter element in it. If they got along without that part for the years preceding your boat, I'd think you would be fine without it.

Starshack
03-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Very easy to add one - I have done it my my 2 190 PS (89 & 92). A Racor was usually mounted on the engine - no longer can get filters for those. Just mount the bracket somewhere in the engine compartment along fuel hoes line coming from the back fuel tank - cut the fuel line and hook up. Make sure to fill the filter with gas before you spin it on or you will have a tough time getting the engine to start (air in the system). If there is still a filter element in the Racor I would remove. Spin on filters/separators are cheap and you can change a couple times a season.

Starshack
03-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Along the same lines I have also installed a strainer on the fresh water intake - it saves a lot of wear and tear on the impeller - it is amazing the volume of water that you suck out of the lake and these strainers keeps little sticks, pine straw etc from reaching the impeller - make sure it is sized to handle the volume.