PDA

View Full Version : Depth of prop on boats loaded for surfing

Ben
03-18-2011, 12:36 PM
What is an estimate for bottom of prop to water surface of a loaded up v-drive for surfing - assuming that is deeper than a wakeboard boat going much faster? Our slalom course crossbars (pvc pipes) are about 4' below surface, and I was curious if that is safe now that we see a few more surfers.

The course is in the middle of the lake, so there is no rule that any boat can't drive wherever they want. So, yes, we need to be able to deal with that. Not ideal, but you get what you get on a public lake.

Thanks.

NatesGr8
03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
It's cutting it close, but i don't think a fully weighted surf beast would be below 3.5 feet at the prop.

carracer
03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
depends on the boat, a loaded down x-30,45,55 would rip it up maybe even a sac down x-star

CantRepeat
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Remember, not that knowing how deep your prop is in shallow water, but moreover, deeper water makes a better swell. Everything I've had a chance to read says deeper is better. Might want to talk to them about how to get a better wave and they might steer clear of the course.

jason@wakemakers.com
03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Probably a concern, but I'm not sure I would do anything proactively, mostly because the options you have are either going to involve a lot of effort, or a lot of expense.

We hit a submerged piling from an old bridge a few years ago that was probably 3.5-4 feet under, so you're definitely in the ball park. Seems like there has to be someone surfing on a private lake with a portable course installed though, so you would think we would have heard about this before.

bturner2
03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
If the prop doesn't tear it up the prop blast certainly will. You're going to be real close at four feet and the force of the water coming from the prop is going to be really strong at that depth.

Ben
03-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll start to move it to 5 or maybe even 6 feet under. Effort is low. I just need to replace the leads / ropes that come from the PVC arm up to the turn ball, they are ziptied on to the arm and clipped to the ball. Nothing to do with changing the anchors or mainline. I just need to make new leads and replace the ones that are on there. Won't be a concern until warm weather, just something that has been on my mind for a while.

Odds of a X-55 are low. X-star or equivalent is probably the most we'll see. It doesn't happen often, but for the hassle replacing the mainline or an arm would be, I'd prefer to be proactive.