PDA

View Full Version : Addiction Issues

Ron Grover
03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
This is way off topic for a Mastercraft topic but I want to share our experience in hopes that if any other Team members are looking for info maybe I can help.

Iíve been a Mastercraft owner for over 12 years and member of Team Talk for nearly that long. I am now on my second Mastercraft. The first Mastercraft I ever skied behind was in 1973 at in ski tournament in the Kansas City area and I have been hooked ever since.

I have 3 kids the oldest 32 and youngest 22. For the last 7 years as a family we have been struggling with my sonís addiction. The good news is that today he is clean and has been since last summer. What we found out is that addiction can strike anywhere and for the inexperienced family it is worse than any wipeout on ball 3 at 22 off or face plant on a wake to wake.

For the last couple of years a part of my personal therapy has been to write a blog about parenting an addict. It is the real story, no holds barred on what it is like when addiction strikes a loved one. Out of writing this blog I have been ask by The Partnership At Drugfree.org to be a Parent Ambassador.

Iím not going to get into a bunch of details here about our situation other than my sonís drug of choice was prescription meds and then graduated to heroin. This is a very typical progression by young people that get trapped in the disease of addiction to opiates. You can read all the details on our blog if you are interested.

www.parentsofanaddict.blogspot.com (http://www.parentsofanaddict.blogspot.com/)

In addition you can find other articles I have written for The Partnership At Drugfree.org here: http://intervene.drugfree.org/author/ron/

This picture is about 7 years ago when he first started. If you have any personal questions feel free to write or if you know someone or a family suffering in the same situation please feel free to forward our contact info.

east tx skier
03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Ron, I'm glad to read that your son is making progress and moving in the right direction. I had a close friend fall into the same addiction many years ago and it took her several more years to beat it.

Sodar
03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
It sounds like your son is on the right path.

Best of luck to both of you!

2RLAKE
03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
thanks for sharing ... as a parent i can't imagine going through that but am very impressed with you openness and desire to help others. I've seen a friend's kid do the exact same and watch all their denial ... was not good

all the best to you and your son

funk
03-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Best wishes to you and your family going forward. This can happen to anyone and any family. One of my closest friends' brothers fell into the same path. Baseball players in HS and college, playing ending surgery, painkillers, led to H. Sadly to say, he lost his 2 brothers within 6 weeks of each other about 2 years ago to OD..
Looks like your son is on the good path, here's to hoping he stays with it.

Scottman
03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Wow, very nice blog. Good luck to you guys!

rsmith_5568
03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Scary thoughts with a family of my own good luck and will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers

dtc
03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Ron-

Glad to read that your son is doing well now. I am the sibling of an addict and have lived through the familial nightmare as well. Thank you for your efforts at helping others in the midst of your gut-checking pain. Here's to hoping that you son and my sister both stay on the path of successfully beating the dependency, behavior, and the Rx.

Not to make light of anyone's situation, but more from an encouragement to get into "positive" stuff ... I fully admit that I have an addiction/illness ... it involves some water and six little balls!

rjracin240
03-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Have a daughter graduating this summer and a son who is 14, prime years for straying into the wrong direcction. Thanks for volunteering your support if we ever need it.
Thoughts and prayers for your son to stay on the right track and the blessing of his wonderful supportive family. You guys have gone through a lot and deserve recognition for your son's support.

I am glad I bought a Mastercraft and how it led to such a great group of people on this message board.

Covi
03-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Ron Grover - You ROCK!!!! So happy that your son is on the right path at this point!!!!

Jeff Lyman
03-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Ron....as I read this about your son my familys kids and freinds sitting here all talking about this very same issue they see with there teen friends in and out of school. My skiing addiction hopefully will carry through my children giving them interesting fun things to do with thier life. We are all a product of our enviroment so simple and so true. Hope the best for your son and reaching out like this helps everyone.

bcampbe7
03-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Congrats to your son for getting clean and to you and your family for helping him through the addiction.

Cmpdman
03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Ron, you sound like a great father! The world needs more dads like you! Tell your son that we're proud of him! keep supporting him & your family will be in our thoughts & prayers.

suedv
03-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Ron, I'm so glad you son is working to change his life. You've gone through a very difficult journey it's wonderful that you can make something positive of it by helping others. My prayers will be with you and your family as you continue.

flipper
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Glad he's headed down the right track now. It takes some sack to come here and lay it out like that, and I thank you for doing so. I'm sure everybody here has known somebody in a similar situation, but when it hits in your own home, it brings a whole new element to it. Good on you for taking a bad situation for you, and making good of it to help others learn from your experience.

tex
03-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Ron-Best of luck to you and your family! Thanks for sharing!

aquaman
03-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Ron, kuddos for acknowledging the problem and having success in treatment. From close family experience, drug addiciton is not a problem that is cured, but a condition that must be managed for life.

Best of luck.

Willski
03-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Glad to hear he is on the right path. I think many people have stereotypes about the kids who are at risk, and the parents of those kids. It can happen to anyone.

Maristar210
03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for Sharing Ron. I wish you and your son the very best.

Chris P
03-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Ron -

Thanks for sharing this. I'm happy to hear your son is clean. I have this issue in my family however it's the opposite.....not my child, but my mother. I'm intimately familiar with the issues of addition in a family as it's not only my mother, who is now clean, but also my brother. I wish you and your family the best and congratulate you for your efforts as a father.

scott023
03-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Ron, glad your son is on the right path, and thanks for sharing. Your blog is a great tool for so many, good for you for helping others out.

Ron Grover
05-24-2011, 12:36 PM
FYI,

The Partnership at Drugfree.org has published another one of my essays.

http://intervene.drugfree.org/2011/05/giving-up-our-dreams/

Brian B
05-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm terribly sorry to hear this. I have 2 brothers who are going through the same thing, and our mother died from an opiate overdose. It's painful to watch.

Good luck.

Ron Grover
05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Brian,

Today he is clean and has been since last summer. It's a great joy for us and we celebrate one day at a time.

Ron Grover
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
For those that are intersted or know someone that needs info. The Partnership at Drugfree.com has posted another one of my essays.

http://intervene.drugfree.org/2011/08/my-sons-drug-addiction-what-i-learned-about-myself/

For anyone that knows someone or a parent dealing with this issue I have another article on The Partnership site that seems to help a lot of people.

http://intervene.drugfree.org/2009/11/7-truths-about-my-addict-that-took-5-years-to-learn/

In addition, for anyone that needs help feel free to check out our personal blog: www.parentsofanaddict.blogspot.com or you can write me personally.

Ron Grover
10-12-2011, 09:20 AM
The Partnership at Drugfree.org has published another one of my essays. This one is about the language of addiction as it relates to Tough Love

http://intervene.drugfree.org/2011/10/the-language-of-drug-addiction-is-often-negative/

Ron Grover
09-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Next week is the national Medicine Abuse Project. That week it is all about prescription medicine abuse. This is an epidemic with young people. More young people die from prescription medicine abuse that ALL of the deaths from heroin and cocaine combined. No one is immune from this monster.

I ask you all to please take 11 minutes of your time and watch this video PARENTS360 Rx: http://pact360.org/programs/parents360rx After you see this talk to your kids about drugs or forward it to someone that has kids and needs to talk.

Talking to your kids about drugs is hard. Studies have been conducted and found that most parents would rather talk to their kids about sex than drugs. Simple reason, they don't know what to say beyond, just say no. If you need help to talk, what do you say, read this post in my blog: http://parentsofanaddict.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-favor-please.html
Hit the link and you will find information on how to talk about drugs with your child. You can even download a free toolkit to help you.

All I ask is take the time to talk, please. You don't want to experience what I lived for 7 years.

Ron Grover
12-22-2012, 08:19 AM
For those that are interested or know someone dealing with the addiction of a loved one or friend The Partnership at Drugfree.org has posted 2 more of my essays. One is about how to "detach with love" and another is about being the parent of an addict in recovery.

I hope they help.

http://intervene.drugfree.org/2012/12/detaching-with-love-how-i-learned-to-separate-my-son-and-his-addiction/

http://intervene.drugfree.org/2012/12/8-personal-conclusions-ive-reached-as-the-parent-of-an-addict-in-recovery/

Ron Grover
12-22-2012, 01:10 PM
It is very hard for parents or loved ones of addicts during the holidays. If anyone needs to talk message me and I can send a phone number. teamplayer@aol.com