PDA

View Full Version : Scam or Not?

mjb100798
03-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Ok guys i got an email from this person in canada who saw my boat on onlyinboards...here is the traffic so far, dont think its a scam but would like some of your inputs...

From me

hit me up on facebook if you want to ask some questions thru that which will be a bit faster... just look up jay broadus hit me up w/ a friend request and i'll accept

From Him...

Hey, got the pics.

I don't have facebook, but luckily I don't have many questions. You ad lays everything out pretty good.

I like the boat a lot, and the extended pole and biminis are a huge seller for me. The fact that you're negotiable on the price helps a lot too. My only downside is the distance. I was planning on using uship, and have heard a lot of good things.

Do you have any experience with it?

Also, for me to bring it into canada, I would need the titles for the boat and the trailer. Do you have these?

From me:

No, i've never used a shipping company...as for the titles, I would have to check on them..funny thing about my state they dont require titles in order to register the boat or trailor...how would this work, as far as money goes?

From him:

I've heard of title-less states like yours. But I would need those 100% for the sale in order for me to bring the boat into Canada. As far as the money goes, we can do any number of things. I'm pretty trusting so I could wire you the money or send a money order, something on those lines. And hopefully we could arrange something so we're both comfortable with it, some sort of insurance or something. I'd also consider flying out there for a day. I've checked quotes on uship and heard good things. It'll be $6-700 to ship it to Buffalo,NY where I have family and I would drive and get it from there.

So how does it sound so far, anyone dealt with shipping a boat to canada before?

mjb100798
03-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Is there anyway i can figure out if this person is for real...maybe some questions to ask him? I'm not desperate to sell the boat so it's no big deal if i keep it for awhile...

gatorguy
03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't have facebook, but luckily I don't have many questions. You ad lays everything out pretty good.

Scam!!! 1st line says it all. Don't waste any more of your time.

bjw444
03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I have used U- ship to ship my boat from austin texas to pittsburgh and i was very happy with their service. The only thing i can say to make sure you dont get scammed is talk to you bank about which type of money transfer they could trust and guarantee and demand payment in that method. If that happens then i would not be too worried

j4rowell
03-16-2011, 11:07 PM
I've also used U-Ship.

Uship is only as trustworthy as the shipper themselves. If you can get it wired to you before the shipper picks it up your golden.

Taking a cashier's check is just as risky as a personal check. You can't trace those generally. I'd take a personal check if any and just put it in the bank and wait at least 2 weeks to make sure it clears. At least with those you can trace it back to a specific account.

j4rowell
03-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I reread it. Sounds 95% legit. Gatorguy is right about that first line though. Sounds like one of those craigslist responses I get when I sell motorcycles. However he could be French and/or not profecient with a keyboard.

BTW I'm a financial consultant for a bank and deal with those questions often. I'd take my advice on the payment methods. Wire as a first option and personal check as a second.

mjb100798
03-16-2011, 11:20 PM
gatorguy, you're right about that first line...i forgot to mention that did add his phone number to his reply on the email from onlyinboards and thats where i started texting him...he was at least located in cananda...i'll inquire about the wire transfers j4rowell...thanks for the inputs fellows...i knew i could count on this forum for quick responses...

brucemac
03-17-2011, 02:45 AM
take him with you to pay off any note and hand over bill of sale. if none exists, insist on new bill of sale or receipt of goods and non-refundable deposit or otherwise for both boat and trailer. then make him drive over with you to the dmv or any other watercraft licensing authority and get rid of all liability on the boat AND trailer. again in person if you can swing it.

desposit cash and monetaries immediately.

problem solved.

lot of scammers out, trust your gut.

wheelerd
03-17-2011, 02:48 AM
Sounds like it could be legit. With the Canadian dollar just above par now there are likely lots of my compatriots boat shopping south of 49.

I purchased both my previous and current boats in the US and the questions he is asking were the kinds of things I discussed back and forth with the sellers -- titles (since Canada Customs isn't always up to speed on the non-title status in some states), payment options (since Canada's banks are mostly large inter-provincial organizations where it's easy to do bank drafts and bank wires but the US tends to have smaller local banks that aren't always as amenable to non-typical transactions.)

The clincher for me would be: Is the guy willing to PayPal or wire a deposit? In any event, I certainly would not release the boat to him or to a shipper until his final method of payment (whatever it might be) had completely cleared through your bank. Don't accept a personal cheque. Your bank will likely not even look at it. Bank draft, certified cheque, or wire are the only way to go. (With my current boat, the seller's bank didn't even know how to handle a draft -- it took two weeks for it to clear!)

brucemac
03-17-2011, 03:57 AM
i'd add about 3-5 business days for 100% clearance clarance.

cashier's check, bank check, wire transfer, all of it can be resinded and contested in up to 3-5 days.

know your buyer, call your lender to ask how and bring a witness.

Jim@BAWS
03-17-2011, 08:40 AM
a) Talk on the phone...texting a deal back and forth...Please!!!
b) Uship is fine. Let him make the arrangements and pay the bill not you. He knows where the boat is. " The boat is so far away" Ya...it is . You knew where it was before you called!!
c) Have the funds wired in. If he wants proof you own it, make PDF's of scans and email it to him.
d) These types of scams usually don't give alot of details. He seems to know at least a little about your boat. Give him a time to call you. or you call him. Make sure it is a Canadian Area Code. You can GOOGLE it

Good lick. Hope your boat sells

NO MONEY NO BOAT...it is that easy

Jim@BAWS

j4rowell
03-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds like it could be legit. With the Canadian dollar just above par now there are likely lots of my compatriots boat shopping south of 49.

I purchased both my previous and current boats in the US and the questions he is asking were the kinds of things I discussed back and forth with the sellers -- titles (since Canada Customs isn't always up to speed on the non-title status in some states), payment options (since Canada's banks are mostly large inter-provincial organizations where it's easy to do bank drafts and bank wires but the US tends to have smaller local banks that aren't always as amenable to non-typical transactions.)

The clincher for me would be: Is the guy willing to PayPal or wire a deposit? In any event, I certainly would not release the boat to him or to a shipper until his final method of payment (whatever it might be) had completely cleared through your bank. Don't accept a personal cheque. Your bank will likely not even look at it. Bank draft, certified cheque, or wire are the only way to go. (With my current boat, the seller's bank didn't even know how to handle a draft -- it took two weeks for it to clear!)

i'd add about 3-5 business days for 100% clearance clarance.
cashier's check, bank check, wire transfer, all of it can be resinded and contested in up to 3-5 days.

know your buyer, call your lender to ask how and bring a witness.

Wire it. Don't take a bank draft. I see more conterfeit bank drafts than you can imagine. Keep in mind you can get a money order or other "Gaurenteed Funds" from the post office/liquor store. How are you ever going to trace that? Personal check if any check.

Your bank will look at it. Banks will not turn away money or they wouldn't be in business. 3-5 days would be for high dollar state and local checks. Banks have up to 45 days to clear foreign transactions. If you are getting a check, deposit it and wait at least two weeks. Have your bank call their loss prevention department and do some research during the clearing period.

73blue
03-17-2011, 09:05 AM
He said he'd be willing to fly in to check it out. Let him. Always better to do a face-face deal if possible. Helps your confidence, eliminates surprises on their end. And he can bring cash :D

Bouyhead
03-17-2011, 09:09 AM
I sold my old Corvette for $12,500 to a kid in Texas a couple of years ago. Many e mails back & forth w/ detailed pics and even WAY more personel calls. Pretty easy to check each other out w/ google like Jim said. Anyway,this kid buys the car site unseen sends me the bank check, i waited for the funds to CLEAR then had the car shipped to Texas.

Good luck.

blakehardesty
03-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I too think it sounds pretty legit.

mjb100798
03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Again thanks for all the inputs guys...I sent him an email back telling him that I need more proof the this is legit...just waiting to hear back...If he's serious than he will continue his pursuit...

ctjahn
03-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Well,

Just my opinion....sounds legit but...

Regardless, I would get the money wired or via paypal...if he wants it he will help you out. Cashiers checks are no longer a 100% trustworthy. I have seen quite a few fake cashiers checks (or questionable ones). In these cases of sales, I give it back to them and ask for cash. I have had cash fedex'ed (believe it or not); and have done wires for substancial amount of funds.

Many people dont realize that a fake cashiers check or bank check can take awhile to clear and if it falls though, you are screwed... (Not sure about canadian checks but out of country checks can take over a month to actually clear WITH supporting funds... If it doesnt clear, you are liable). Fact is you dont really know until it happens. That is how all those scams work. The bank initally deposits the funds, you think you are good, and then later you are screwed....

This is coming from someone who works at a bank and also buys/sells/brokers deals on the side for a large volume of car parts/racecars/etc.... I have done business in both the US and outside the US including Europe and Australia.

Best wishes on your deal
Sincerely
Cj

CantRepeat
03-17-2011, 10:02 AM
If you are going get funds from Canada, make sure it is a bank cashiers check. Money orders from Canada get put on hold just like a personal check from there. I sold an adaptor and they wanted to put a hold on a $50 money order until it cleared.

gatorguy
03-17-2011, 10:27 AM
After a re-read it sounds ok. I bought my boat from 900 miles away. Seller insisted on cash, and I insisted on driving away with my boat the second he had my cash. That mention after many phone calls and lots of pictures and videos we met in person at a lake for the test drive and transaction. I was a little nervous carrying $15k cash and took some .40S&W insurance with me, and my kids. He brought his family with him too. We felt each other out a bit on the ramp before I went out for the test ride. I figures that would be my only really vulnerable time for getting ripped off. There was nothing stopping him from leaving me in the middle of the lake after a ski set and making off with my money, which I had stashed in my truck.

In the end every thing turned out great. He was a really nice and honest guy, and I think I got a really nice boat for a good deal. One of the things that was a comfort for me was the fact that he drove about 3hrs to meet me. So we both had to give a little, but at the worst we were only out our travel expense.

Long story short, don't let your boat leave your site until you have his cash in your hand.

gatorguy
03-17-2011, 10:42 AM
After a re-read it sounds ok. I bought my boat from 900 miles away. Seller insisted on cash, and I insisted on driving away with my boat the second he had my cash. That mention after many phone calls and lots of pictures and videos we met in person at a lake for the test drive and transaction. I was a little nervous carrying $15k cash and took some .40S&W insurance with me, and my kids. He brought his family with him too. We felt each other out a bit on the ramp before I went out for the test ride. I figures that would be my only really vulnerable time for getting ripped off. There was nothing stopping him from leaving me in the middle of the lake after a ski set and making off with my money, which I had stashed in my truck.

In the end every thing turned out great. He was a really nice and honest guy, and I think I got a really nice boat for a good deal. One of the things that was a comfort for me was the fact that he drove about 3hrs to meet me. So we both had to give a little, but at the worst we were only out our travel expense.

Long story short, don't let your boat leave your site until you have his cash in your hand.

mjb100798
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
well here is the latest...my state doesnt issue titles for boat trailers weighing anything less the 2000 lbs...and he states the absolutely must have a title for it to enter canada...dont have any idea how i can get a title for the trailer so it looks like i wont be sending it north of the border...oh well, no big deal for me...

Again thanks for all the inputs/advice on the issue...and if you guys know of anyone looking for a good 89 ProStar 190...send them my direction if you dont mind...

Jay
Jay

cbryan70
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
if you dont have the title do you have the MSO? Manufacturers statement of orgin?

ddanenberger
03-17-2011, 11:13 AM
we sold our last boat to a person in Canada. Here is how it went...

He wired funds to our account...took 3 days for the bank to release due. As far as titles...we produced a bill of sale outlining the boat, and trailer and cost of each. Gave title where appicable, but also had to do bill of sale with sale cost for each.

The conplicated part was a bill of sale for each add on accessory with the cost or reciept of the accessory. This was the difficulkt part at the border... so I been told.

Our end was easy and a great transaction for all parties.

east tx skier
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
I sold my boat to a nice Canadian fellow. Did everything by wire transfer and met him half way to Canada from Texas. Bottom line with a long distance transaction or otherwise, like Jim mentioned, cash in hand and verified before that boat leaves your driveway. No 50% down, no negotiating when the boat gets to NY. You might lose a couple of buyers that way, but you won't be left holding the bag or negotiating a thousand miles from your house with the boat in tow.

We did a purchase contract in conjunction with his deposit on the boat, balance was wired within a few days, well before I was due to leave with the boat, verified everything with my bank, had a bill of sale for boat and trailer that I drafted and provided for him at delivery along with title for the boat. I maintained my insurance while the boat was hooked up to my truck and was on the phone with my insurance company giving them the word that it was gone as soon as I left (I had talked to them about it before hand and it was set to be cancelled as soon as I called).

He had no problem at the border. And the transaction went smoothly.

Good luck.

craig3972
03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Scam!!! 1st line says it all. Don't waste any more of your time.

is it that unusual not to be on Facebook?

Kevin&Annie
03-17-2011, 11:57 AM
If you still have it next month you will be hearing from us!

G-Star
03-17-2011, 12:49 PM
well here is the latest...my state doesnt issue titles for boat trailers weighing anything less the 2000 lbs...and he states the absolutely must have a title for it to enter canada...dont have any idea how i can get a title for the trailer so it looks like i wont be sending it north of the border...oh well, no big deal for me...

Again thanks for all the inputs/advice on the issue...and if you guys know of anyone looking for a good 89 ProStar 190...send them my direction if you dont mind...

Jay
Jay

Not quite true...

If your state is a non-title state, then he just needs to provide proof of this when importing the boat. See here: http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

The text of note from that page is:

General summary to import a boat and trailer:

Purchase: The easiest way to import a boat is to hire a broker, but you can do it yourself with a little effort. Read Sep/09 if you use an agent. Keep all paperwork (ownership, titles, licenses, ads, emails, invoices, cancelled cheques) organized for border crossing and further paperwork in Canada. You must check for liens yourself: loans, unpaid repairs and services. Arrange a professional boat survey to eliminate surprises (at least check the hull and motor). Do not use seller's surveryor! Usage, salt-water, damage, and poor maintenance affect a boat's condition and value more than age. A satisfactory sea-trial can be made a condition of purchase. Don't sign an Agreement of Purchase until you have done your home-work and are ready to buy. Make sure you have methods of payment that are acceptable in the U.S. (sellers require cash or electronic transfer). As soon as you complete a purchase, arrange insurance. Your tow vehicle's insurance can probably be extended to cover a trailer and boat during transit back to Canada. State trailer licence exemptions may be enough to reach the border - once in Canada you are given additional time to get a licence. You cannot legally buy a U.S. boat while it is in Canada!

At the Border: Stop at Canada Customs. Tell the truth when asked a question - no details, just the answer. Declare the actual value/selling price (News Story). You need ownership and Bills of Sale for boat, trailer and removable accessories, taxes and surveys. Get separate bills of sale for each of these in case you pay different taxes (GST, PST or HST) on each. Federal duty is no longer charged on boats manufactured in Canada, Mexico or the U.S. (NAFTA); boats made in other countries pay 5%-9.5% duty. Most marine "safety equipment" is duty-free. Import requirements are the same for importing a boat by water or road. You pay a RIV fee on a trailer less than 15 years old (if instructed to pay online, make sure the border sends in proper forms). If the trailer came from a "non-title" state, you may need to get a letter from the state (or their website) stating that fact. The trailer must have a valid VIN - call RIV to find out if the VIN is valid before you import it.

After your return: You will need to get a federal inspection on the trailer at a Canadian Tirestore, then buy a licence at a provincial Driver & Vehicle Licence Offices - some provinces charge PST on trailers. A Canadian who buys and keeps a boat in the U.S. cannot bring it into Canada - it is considered "imported" with all related paperwork and fees.

Follow the link and search for "non-title". There is a note from a Torontonian who bought from Oklahoma (non-title state).

Hope this helps?

Ski-me
03-17-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm old fashioned I guess....I don't have a Facebook page. :rolleyes:

mjb100798
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Not quite true...

If your state is a non-title state, then he just needs to provide proof of this when importing the boat. See here: http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

Hope this helps?

Yeah, I did some research too Gstar and found that exact same thing....sent him the link but havent heard back from him...at this point though it does sound like its going to be a huge hassel to mess with....

mjb100798
03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Not quite true...

Hope this helps?

If you still have it next month you will be hearing from us!

Would really like to hold it for someone who will appreciate it for what its worth, by that I mean the MasterCraft namebrand...If you guys find a better deal please give me the courtesy of matching it, but at the price i'm selling it for that will be hard to come by...I'm always open to discussion now and pick up later...wont hurt me to hold on to it till a later date and would give me the time to get it in order(dewinterizing/cleaning up) if you guys want to talk just let me know...no rush though...

wheelerd
03-18-2011, 01:59 AM
You can tell your potential buyer that NOT having a title is no problem at Canada Customs. Both boats I purchased were from non-title states -- TN and NE. But I did make sure I had statements to this effect from the respective DMV websites as well as all documentation of ownership by the previous owner -- things like trailer license papers, Fish and Game registration for the boat, etc. (These things vary from state to state.)

When importing a boat and trailer to Canada there needs to be two Bills of Sale, one for the trailer and one for the boat. I also took the time to make sure the seller and I had them notarized. The trailer price need to be realistic -- I used $1500. Transport Canada treats the trailer as a "vehicle", hence the separate B of S, and that's why it needs to be inspected on this side of the border before it can be licensed. Customs actually cares less about the boat, even though it's worth more, as long as you can prove ownership. Both times, the official never even came out of his booth to check the trailer VIN and boat HIN. He just told me to park, come in and pay the tax and that was it.

I have imported 3 cars and 2 boats/trailers to Canada from the US. If you do your homework and have your ducks in a row it's simple. I always had copies of every piece of paperwork I could think of: original ad, pics, emails back and forth with the seller, NADA value, PayPal and bank statements, insurance documents, etc. Sometimes they wanted to see bits of it, sometimes not.

Your potential buyer can PM me if he wants further info on the process.

gatorguy
03-18-2011, 03:28 AM

I ment more the fact that he claimed not to have any questions about the boat.