PDA

View Full Version : Bent Prop

caden
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Well this weekend, I hit a stick/log and bent my prop.
I feel like an idiot.
I think I will buy a new one and have the old one fixed for a spare.
What do I need to know, what tools do I need to pull the old one off and install the new one?
I hate to take it to the dealer.
I feel like this is something that I need to know how to do.

gr8smiles
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
You will need a 'prop puller'...you can take the old one to the 'Prop Shop' in Nashville...that is where I will takle mine...wow...three prop posts in one Morning....must be the moon... I am in Franklin/Brentwood...props are easy....can do them on a lift or a trailer

east tx skier
07-18-2005, 11:18 AM
Spring for a prop puller and you'll always have one. If I recall correctly, a three blade puller won't work on a four blade, but a four blade puller will work on anything.

I pulled mine for a prop test a month or so ago. Came off with next to no effort whatsoever. Took a few minutes, tops.

If you do a search for "prop test." You can review one guy's impressions between two brands of CNC'd props.

EFiles
07-18-2005, 12:16 PM
A few years ago I had a prop swap done by a dealer. (Back before I found Team Talk ;) ). The bill - new prop, recondition old prop, labor, freight - was about the same as if I had bought the puller and done it all myself. It was o.k. because at the time I had neither the time nor the know-how to do it myself. When I bought my new Acme prop this year I bought the O.J. puller kit and case from Skidim (item #23001, $139) and swapped the props myself. It wasn't hard to do and now if I ding a prop I don't have to make a trip to the dealer in order to get back on the water. I'm real pleased with the O.J. kit. The tools are well made and worked very well. It comes with a nice case to keep your spare prop and everything together. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

jayderwin1
07-18-2005, 12:30 PM
if you have a big cresent wrench that you can open wider than your shaft and a hammer you can get your prop off very easy without damage. what you do is take the cresent wrench and slip it over the shaft between the prop and strut and press it on the prop and hit the wrench with hammer and it should come off in the first couple of times

hardycm
07-18-2005, 12:42 PM
I have definitely had props where the only way I could get it off was with the puller. Also, one tip. If it doesn't come off w/ the puller, take a torch and heat the hub of the prop equally one each third or quarter for about 1-2 minutes. It won't feel hot, but will expand enough to help it come off the shaft. Then try again. hit the puller square on the end with a hammer, in the direction of the shaft. The prop should come off. Make sure there's someon there to catch it (and don't take the nut all the way off until the prop is loose from the shaft).

When putting the new prop on, there is a procedure to follow. Make sure the shaft is nice and clean. Then remove the key and push the prop on as far as it will go -- make sure it is seated. Draw a line on the shaft even w/ the front edge of the hub, or put a piece of tape there. Then take the prop off, install the key, and put the prop back on. Make sure the prop is still even with the line you drew earlier. If not, adjust the position of the key. If you don't do this, your prop could loosen up over time.

Good luck. BTW, I pay about $70 to get a prop reconditioned.

caden
07-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks
Prop Shop said it would be 80.00.
Borrowed a puller from a neighbor.
Will order one for myself today.
I consider it an expensive lesson for newbie.

gr8smiles
07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
You might want to invest in a puller....I keep mine and the spare prop on the boat. In a way worst case scenario, you could change it 'out there'....not advisable, but do-able in an emergency.

I rotate the props about mid-way each season.

87MC Dave
07-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Is there an address to send the prop off. Mine caught the propguard on my trailer and took some chunks out of two tips and I want to get it repaired...I am in SC anyone know of a good prop place close or can give me an address to send off.

east tx skier
07-18-2005, 01:35 PM
If it's an OJ,

Johnson Propeller, Inc.
750 Natalie Blvd.
Loudon, TN 37774

Include your name and contact information so they can call you for credit card info. When I used them, it was $85 plus shipping both ways for a hand-finished four blade.

87MC Dave
07-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the info....

rbhirsch1@verizon.net
01-31-2009, 09:19 PM
just saw your note about prop removal, replacement and reconditioning.
where do you get your props reconditioned?

thanks,
skip

rbhirsch1@verizon.net
01-31-2009, 09:28 PM
do you happen to have a new address for OJ Props, or another company to recondition props?

thanks,
richard

TMCNo1
01-31-2009, 09:58 PM
do you happen to have a new address for OJ Props, or another company to recondition props?

thanks,
richard

Call Eric at OJ Props, at 1-800-359-9730 and he can give you of any info you need!