PDA

View Full Version : Dry Land Training

Lars
03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I need some good ideas for some dry land work outs to gear up for the season, preferably stuff that could be done outside of a gym. I looked around waterskimag.com but didn't see a whole lot, thought they used to have a section on little workouts to do?

I wanna hit the water running when that new boat comes my way in a few weeks!

CruisinGA
03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Lookup P90X.

I wouldn't call the workout "little" though.

j4rowell
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Lookup P90X.

I wouldn't call the workout "little" though.

yup. it'll kick your a$$ though.

epnault
03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Definatley the most comprehensive work out plan out there. I wouldn't spend the money if you are not committed to the 90 days though. I used it the past couple of years over the winter months and then go back to the gym during the warm months. It will knock your butt into great shape, gauranteed.

mjb100798
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
If you dont want to pay for that you can always log onto crossfit.com it's similar to p90 but a little different...and its free...

gatorguy
03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Another option in GPPfit.com. It is along the lines of P90X and crossfit. It uses very little equipment, is free, and will whip you into shape pretty quickly. The guy posts a new workout everyday. It's like having a free personal trainer. You don't have to know anything to get a good workout.

Adam Wanichek
03-16-2011, 11:12 PM
+1 for crossft. friend them on facebook and receive their "workout of the day" automatically. Most of their workouts can be done in your back yard, garage, or local gym.

gatorguy
03-19-2011, 10:39 AM
So I put in a patio made of paver stones over the last 2 days. I think I found the closest simulation of skiing there is on dry ground. Go rent a "wacker" ground compacter and let it pull you around. I was using it when all the sudden I realized I had a skiers grip on the handle and was pulling against it just like crossing the wakes.

A close second would be running a rototiller in hard ground. Basically if you want to get in good skiing shape, and you can't ski every day, start doing more yard projects. Not only will you get stronger but your house will look better and best of all, you will get points with the wife that can be redeemed for more time on the water.

Jeff Lyman
03-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Lars, I would suggest seeking out a personal trainer for 6 to 8 weeks before you start skiing. A good trainer that cares will isolate the muscle groups used in skiing. You'll find stretching will be as important as working the FREE weights. I train in my skiing stance RT foot forward that helps establish balance. Think core!

Wish I hired my guy years ago thats all I acomplished before was becoming stiff. Some gym's have in house trainers you can schedule times with. Using a trainer is the same diff. as skiing behind a MC vs.a Bayliner! Good luck your thinking in the right dirrection.