PDA

View Full Version : V Drive ?Froze?

wrobins1
03-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I tried to save a nickel last fall... and it could quite possibly cost me a fortunate this spring but I am having some difficulty finding information about it. Having just purchased the boat at the end of the season (within the last month of the season.) I changed the fluids when had bought the boat and because of this I decided not to do it again when I winterized it. Now I think I might have cracked the v drive. I have ATF coming out of the drain plug on the boat (which is still under the shrink wrap.) I was wondering if anyone had experience with this or even knew a few places to compare prices on the replacement or repair of said v-drive (Walters RV-36 1.5:1.) Thanks!

G-Star
03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
IIRC, the Walters V-drive unit needs to be separately drained of cooling water to prevent freezing/cracking.

When you did the winterization, did you drain the block? Did you also drain the V-drive unit?

What year/model of boat do you have? The manual should have proper procedure on winterizing the V-drive unit.
Old manuals available from the MasterCraft Knowledge Center (http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/).

G-Star
03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Oops... the M/C manuals are sortof useless for maintenance and winterization.

I meant the Indmar manuals: http://www.indmar.com/ProductLine/index.html
1994-2002 (http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual1994_2002web.pdf) or 2003-present (http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual_2003_Presentweb.pdf)

In the 1994-2002 manual, I was specifically thinking of pages 7-4 and 7-5.

wrobins1
03-16-2011, 02:47 PM
I completed the winterization per Clymer's Indmar Shop manual. Unfortunately I believe the damage has been done. I'm curious of past experience of other individuals regarding where and how it typically cracks and companies that I can check prices with for parts & repair or said v-drive. Thanks G-Star for the input.

G-Star
03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Are you sure the V-drive unit is cracked? Could it just be a bad shaft seal?

I guess what I'm getting at is if you winterized according to the manual, odds of it freezing and cracking seem slim...

wrobins1
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
That is what I am praying for.... but I had a leaky drain on the boat so the water level rose inside the boat to the about the bottom/middle of the engine block a couple of times which worries me that the water could have entered into the v drive case (into the oil sump possibly around one of the fittings.) I had not thought of this until speaking to a friend about the presence of the ATF. I have not actually got to look at the v drive unit yet. The temperatures here have only rose above freezing for any amount of time in the last month and still am not ready to remove the shrink wrap and summarize the boat. Just scared and trying to budget for the possible expense so as to lose as little time on the water as possible!

Jerseydave
03-16-2011, 06:27 PM
That is what I am praying for.... but I had a leaky drain on the boat so the water level rose inside the boat to the about the bottom/middle of the engine block a couple of times which worries me that the water could have entered into the v drive case (into the oil sump possibly around one of the fittings.) I had not thought of this until speaking to a friend about the presence of the ATF. I have not actually got to look at the v drive unit yet. The temperatures here have only rose above freezing for any amount of time in the last month and still am not ready to remove the shrink wrap and summarize the boat. Just scared and trying to budget for the possible expense so as to lose as little time on the water as possible!

Ok I am a little confused. I assume your boat was left outside all winter covered by shrinkwrap, but somehow rain water got into the boat, filled the bilge to about 1/2 way up the engine block? Is that what happened? Did you not remove the hull drain plug last fall?

Anyway, if what I assume is true, water may have entered the trans through either the transmission vent or through a seal. Get a fluid extractor (suction tool) from an auto parts store and suck out the trans fluid taking note of any water that might be in there. Your trans cooler might be cracked, which could also allow trans fluid to enter the bilge.

Where are you in the northeast?

G-Star
03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok I am a little confused. I assume your boat was left outside all winter covered by shrinkwrap, but somehow rain water got into the boat, filled the bilge to about 1/2 way up the engine block? Is that what happened? Did you not remove the hull drain plug last fall?

Anyway, if what I assume is true, water may have entered the trans through either the transmission vent or through a seal. Get a fluid extractor (suction tool) from an auto parts store and suck out the trans fluid taking note of any water that might be in there. Your trans cooler might be cracked, which could also allow trans fluid to enter the bilge.

Where are you in the northeast?

I may be incorrect on this, but I don't believe the Walters units have external transmission coolers like the ZFHurth units do. The Walters unit has a raw cooling water supply and return line, and must have an internal heat exchanger to cool the oil.

Engine Nut
03-16-2011, 08:05 PM
If what is leaking is red, it shouldn't be the Walter unit because they do not use ATF, they use regular motor oil. The shifting trans in front of the Walter takes ATF but the cooler is external to the trans. Maybe you just forgot to drain the trans cooler.

Jerseydave
03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
If what is leaking is red, it shouldn't be the Walter unit because they do not use ATF, they use regular motor oil. The shifting trans in front of the Walter takes ATF but the cooler is external to the trans. Maybe you just forgot to drain the trans cooler.

Just what I was thinking.....if he did not drain the trans cooler and it cracked allowing trans fluid to enter the bilge.

Cut off that shrink wrap......it's going to be in the 70's here friday! :D

wrobins1
03-17-2011, 02:09 PM
The boat should not have had ANY water in it since fall. It was slowing leaking around the drain plug while at the marina this past fall and at the time I did not have a trailer to remove the boat and properly fix the leak. So I simply went to the boat every other day and drained it with the bilge pump.

The shop manual that I have (as referenced above) suggested that I use ATF in the v drive unit and I know that v drive had ATF because I personally put it in a month or so before winterizing it. My boat does not have a separate transmission. I would even be ok with a cracked transmission cooler because that would be a lot less expensive than a v drive (leaving more money for gas!!!!)

On a happier note it is suppose to be 70 today here in central WV but I cannot get myself to cut the shrink wrap off at least until next weekend because I am going SNOW skiing this weekend and I think my wife will kill me if I have both those hobbies soaking up money at once :) :) :) :)

G-Star
03-17-2011, 02:41 PM
So the boat was in the lake all winter??

Are you sure you've got a Walters V-drive? An excerpt from the Indmar manual:

If the engine uses the Walters
V-Drive, it is equipped with a
ZF Hurth in-line transmission
for shifting. Be aware that the
Walters V-Drive uses motor oil
for lubrication, while the ZF
Hurth transmission uses
Automatic Transmission Fluid.

flipper
03-17-2011, 03:08 PM
So the boat was in the lake all winter??

Are you sure you've got a Walters V-drive? An excerpt from the Indmar manual:

He's saying when it was in the water, he may have had water get in the V-drive through a vent or something because of the water in the boat. He pulled the boat out of the water for winter, and did not change the v drive oil he is now thinking may have some water in it.

G-Star
03-17-2011, 03:26 PM
He's saying when it was in the water, he may have had water get in the V-drive through a vent or something because of the water in the boat. He pulled the boat out of the water for winter, and did not change the v drive oil he is now thinking may have some water in it.

Ahhhhhhhh... Now I get it :)

wrobins1
03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
BINGO FLIPPER! By the way nice pic!

I am going to have to look at it when I pull the cover. I am going off of memory and the sight of the blue blob in the yard. But in the mean time does anyone know of any online distributors of these type of boat parts transmissions, v drives, etc. to price compare preferable used parts

flipper
03-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Skidim????