PDA

View Full Version : Overtons

kjohnson
03-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Anybody order anything from Overton's lately? I have been waiting two weeks for a Connelly ski. Since they were bought out by Gander Mountain, they suck.

blakehardesty
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I dont know when they were bought out but last spring I ordered a heafty amount of stuff and it all came quick and easy. Perhaps it was backordered?

Cmpdman
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Order items last week. Received them in a few days.

scott023
03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I ordered a couple of vests from them in the fall, got up to Canada right quickly, AND there weren't any brokerage fees.

aquaman
03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Just received a new Connelly ski, took about 10 business days to arrive. I hope Gander mtn doesn't change Overtons too much?

kjohnson
03-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Funny that you should mention the ski being back ordered. I asked about that and they could not tell me. As a matter of fact, they said they will call me back within 2 days with additional information. So now, I have to wait another 2 days just to find out where it is???????

No Skeez
03-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but you should try to support your local pro shop. You'd know if it is available or not the same day, and when it comes down to it, does the $20 you may save really make that big of a difference? If your local shop doesn't have it, you can bet that they'll do everything they can to get it for you. And if they can't, it won't take them over two weeks to get back to you...

kjohnson
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I wish we had a local pro shop.

D3skier
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
I would have called H2Osmosis or Trophy lakes to order it...

muskingumriverdocks
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Really?!! When did that happen? Does Parker still have any involvement with the company?

Age Fighter
03-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but you should try to support your local pro shop. You'd know if it is available or not the same day, and when it comes down to it, does the $20 you may save really make that big of a difference? If your local shop doesn't have it, you can bet that they'll do everything they can to get it for you. And if they can't, it won't take them over two weeks to get back to you...

Local pro shop? Maybe 1% of the locale's have one of those. Maybe. I'm sure there are some in NC but doggoned if I could even name one off top of my head.

Sodar
03-16-2011, 06:09 PM
$20 more? Try $200 more and completely outdated stock. That is my local proshop.

All the local dealers have proshops, but they only carry wakeboard stuff in stock.

I have always hated Overton's, even when Overton still owned it. I pretty much exclusively use www.wileyski.com.

muskingumriverdocks
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM

You're absolutely right. A good friend of mine owned a shop (The Skiers Choice) here in Marietta Oh. Mid 80's - mid 90's it was a struggle then. When you think about it, it was before the internet just mail order. Overton's just killed him on prices. Back then Master Craft, Kidder and i think HO skis sold thier top of the line to shops only. Then Lapoints sold to O'Brien. Kidder started selling lower end slalom skis to mail order companies. You could come in his shop and demo any ski. We also had a slalom course set up on the Ohio. He was an excellent skier, gave tips to anybody who asked for help. Held clinics for free, it was just alot of fun.

Jim@BAWS
03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
I wish we had a local pro shop.

Let me know what SKI you need and what you paid

I have Connelly SKIS in stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRyOkP2pPBw

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
The best thing about Gander Mtn buying out Overtons is that I don't have to pay shipping from Overtons anymore that is based on $$ amount rather than weight. Last year I noticed that Overtons was branding its own gloves again and ordered a pair of the "Attack" gloves. Only difference is that I did a search for them on Gander's site and selected site to store for free shipping. They showed up about a week later and I saved a few bucks. Wasn't worried about paying Texas sales tax since NC requires that Overtons charges sales tax on internet orders.

The gloves rock by the way. Best ones since the old Pink Overtons gloves!

Joseph
03-17-2011, 12:20 PM
i bought a tempo 30 gal gas walker from overtons. When i got it though it was way bigger than i thought and much heavier. Should have prob just gotten the 14 gal flo n go. I hate lugging 4 seperate 5 gallon jugs. Anyway, went to UPS to ship it back for a return and it was going to cost 100 bucks to ship it back. Called Overtons, they wouldn't let me bring it to a local Gander Mountain-"we're not set up that way". But they did say i could buy a shipping label through them and get their discount. the label was going to cost $49. Well, i decided to keep the dang thing cuz it had already cost too much. Dont know how im going to get it in and out of my truck even half full. Will prob need to use my trailer. Should have thought it through a bit better :)

Rockman
03-17-2011, 01:03 PM
$20 more? Try $200 more and completely outdated stock. That is my local proshop.

All the local dealers have proshops, but they only carry wakeboard stuff in stock.

I have always hated Overton's, even when Overton still owned it. I pretty much exclusively use www.wileyski.com.

Absolutely agree 100%!!!

Patrick Hardy
03-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Absolutely agree 100%!!!

If you can buy local, do it, it really helps in returning items and makes it a much easier process. I am lucky enough to live in the greater Seattle area, which is where a lot of ski manufacturers / shop are located. It also helps that i am about fifteen minutes from one of the best shops in the country...IMHO... www.wileyski.com

DooSPX
03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I just ordered a new winch strap, new bow roller (ditching the POS boat buddy that is marring my bow) and new retractable tie down straps from them. the order was shipped a day after the order was placed. I have always had decent luck with them, but I never order anything big or ski's.

10ptmust
03-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I pretty much exclusively use www.wileyski.com.

I love Wiley's. My grandfather got my Dad's gear there when he was skiing and we've been gong back ever since. I was just in last summer and had new high wraps put on my ski.

matt
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
When I lived in south Louisana I supported Bennett's, they were great. I moved to Mobile, went by the local ski shop to buy a set of training combos for my kids. The guy told me they quit carrying skis, to cheap on the internet. I love the low prices, but it kills local business.

blakehardesty
03-21-2011, 08:29 AM
My pro shop price matches so I always buy from them. Warrantys are always so easy with them. I take it to them, they give me a demo to get by, then when they get the warranty taken care of, a buddy that works there drops it off and picks up the demo. It doesnt get any better than that.

JohnE
03-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Wiley's is great to deal with. Back in '06 I was looking for a new ski. That's when the monza was all the rage and there was a lot of discussion about the system 8 too. Shep reviewed them both. So I was trying to buy one from Mike, but coldn't reach him. I didn't realize he was on vacation for a week.

So I called Wiley's and told them what I wanted. I ended up talking to the owner, because that's who answered. After telling him how I ski he talked me into buying an F1X and told me I didn't want the animal bindings. He was dead on, I was so glad he steered me in that direction. He asked me what I was skiing at the time. It was an old Obrien pro circuit ski. He told me that that is a great intermediate ski. That I should hang onto it. That he tried to buy the molds for it when Obrien stopped making it, but that they were thrown out. He offered so much insight into past ski's and products it was unbelievable. We talked for maybe a half hour just about skiing and the industry. And pricing was as good as anywhere.

I saved so much by buying the F1X instead of the system 8 that I ended up buying a wakeboard, too.

east tx skier
03-21-2011, 10:28 AM
It's fun to talk to the "cranky old guy" at Wiley's.

kjohnson
03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Let me know what SKI you need and what you paid

I have Connelly SKIS in stock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRyOkP2pPBw

Jim@BAWS

Thanks but I ordered a Radar instead.

kjohnson
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't think Parker Overton has anything to do with them anymore. I think he sold out completely. I know Kristi Overton and saw them last year at the Master's and he mentioned selling out.

ncsone
03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Just bought two Radar skis from Performance Ski two weeks ago. They were 2011 models and they were at my door 4 days later. Plus, they had them on sale for an extra 10% off of street price.

east tx skier
03-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Which ski did you get?

Miss Rita
03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Ditto on kudos for Wileys. When I was shopping for a ski three years ago I spoke to the "old" Wiley. He bent my ear for 20 minutes talking about ski business scuttlebutt, then sold me the perfect ski. It was an O'Brien that wasn't even being sold nationally. The next year I bought a ski for my daughter, another great ski and great price.