PDA

View Full Version : what amp do you have pushing your Pro 80's?

samgreazy
03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I have been looking at amps to push my pair of Pro 80's, and didn't realize it was going to be so difficult. What kind of amp are you all running to them? I don't want to spend the money on the syn 2 amp, what do you all suggest that isnt so expensive?

rgardjr1
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I have been looking at amps to push my pair of Pro 80's, and didn't realize it was going to be so difficult. What kind of amp are you all running to them? I don't want to spend the money on the syn 2 amp, what do you all suggest that isnt so expensive?

You can save a little money with the Arc Audio KS 300.2 same amp in a different enclosure. The other amp that I've seen recommended is the JL Audio JX360.2. Maybe David from Earmark will weigh in here.

EarmarkMarine
03-16-2011, 12:45 PM
I would highly recommend the WetSounds Syn2 to drive a pair of Pro80s. You're getting high efficiency and a marinized amplifier. A perfect match with room to add another pair and increase the power by nearly 90 percent.
If you are looking for something at a much lower cost you could run the JL JX360.4 bridged into two channels rather than the 360.2 model. This would be 90 percent of the Pro80s' rated power at 180 watts per side.
Better yet would be to bridge a JL Audio XD400/4 which would be 200 watts per side and provide the higher Class D efficiency, plus this amplifier is available in a marine version.

David
Earmark Marine

EarmarkMarine
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Another great option that I forgot to mention would be a pair of JL Audio G1300 fullrange monoblock amplifiers for tower speakers. Probably the best value of any of the lower priced alternatives. These monoblock amplifiers sound much bigger than their ratings and will support a second pair in the furure.
David
Earmark Marine

D3skier
03-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm using the Cadence 2002 amp.. what ever you do don't skimp on power for these things or they won't sound right. I called Wet Sounds and got recommendations and when I found the Cadence line I called them directly and since I hadn't been to a local audio shop and didn't have any Cadence dealers in my area they sold to me directly. I've actually submerged the amp several times and have absolutely no issues with it and they told me even if I sunk the amp and it broke they'd still cover it under warranty.

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=17&idproduct=322

2RLAKE
03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Stock JL tower speakers but have a Rockfort 800W amp pushing them

bturner2
03-16-2011, 04:06 PM
PO put ia 100watt/channel 4 channel Kenwood car amp in to power mine. I'm running a pair of 80s and 60s off of it. Was going to swap it out but it still works and sounds good. On the other hand I'm never is a situation to play battle of the stereos. I'm sure there's better setups out there and I'd wouldn't have chosen it but this will do until I need or can afford the replacement.

I really like the size of the new JL XD series amps but until the price get more realistic here I sit.

j4rowell
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
PO put ia 100watt/channel 4 channel Kenwood car amp in to power mine. I'm running a pair of 80s and 60s off of it. Was going to swap it out but it still works and sounds good. On the other hand I'm never is a situation to play battle of the stereos. I'm sure there's better setups out there and I'd wouldn't have chosen it but this will do until I need or can afford the replacement.

I really like the size of the new JL XD series amps but until the price get more realistic here I sit.

wow... underpowered. Sell the two 60's and beef up the power with that money imo.

medicmoose
03-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I am running a Hertz EP4x for the 2 Pro 80's and 2 MB8's on my tower.

willyt
03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I am running a Hertz EP4x for the 2 Pro 80's and 2 MB8's on my tower.

You're seriously only sending 100 RMS watts a channel to 80's and MB8's?

i hope you meant running 2 and bridging the 8 channels to 4... currently your at least 100 watts RMS underpowered on each speaker

shunra
03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
As others have mentioned don't skimp on the power. If you do you are just wasting the money you already spent on the Pro80s. I bought 4 Pro80s from a local shop that was able to demo a few different amps, and the difference was very noticeable. I feel that a true clean 200watts RMS is the MINIMUM I'd ever run to them. I am a huge Wetsounds fan, but in the end I wanted a bit more than the Syn2 could do. These speakers can take more than their rated wattage and just get better with more power.

medicmoose
03-16-2011, 07:52 PM
You're seriously only sending 100 RMS watts a channel to 80's and MB8's?

i hope you meant running 2 and bridging the 8 channels to 4... currently your at least 100 watts RMS underpowered on each speaker

Here's what I know...it's a 4 channel amp and set up run maximum power to the 4 speakers. This is the set-up that was recommended by Wetsounds when I bought the package. I'm no expert on wiring...but I tell ya, the sound level and clarity out of those 4 speakers is amazing! I don't know that running more power would be of any benefit. Loud and clear when boarding 70 feet back! At a stand still....the sound projects clearly far enough away to be annoying to others I'm sure :D

brucemac
03-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Syn 6 (channels 1-4 bridged)
would recommend saving up for the Syn2