PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized (?) Ski Pylon

SDProstar
03-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey Team Talk guys,

Here are a few photos of my damaged ski pylon. I’m not sure if it’s anything special but I thought I’d share. The pylon looks to be the original and has a trick ski release. It is definitely made of steel and it must be galvanized. Weighs a ton. Badly corroded at the bilge line.

The more I dig into this project the more mysterious it becomes to me…

The boat is a ’91 Prostar 190 w/ powerslot. Was originally a 351w Ford but I bought it without the engine block. Wisconsin hull ID. Has “ghost lettering” from vinyl letters on the sides that read “WATERSPORTS MARINE”. Maybe it was a rental???

It has 380 HARD hours on the hour meter. I say that because this poor boat had no sign any mechanical maintenance or care. Everything was there when I bought her except the block and heads. The raw water strainer was completely clogged and the impeller melted beyond recognition. Also, some dork had towed a boat (or ?) with the pylon which then cracked the fiberglass lug in the bilge that receives the pylon. It looks to me like the damaged area was then left to soak in salt water until the pylon disintegrated to the point you see it here.

The hull, itself, is in great shape needing only the typical wet sanding and compounding. She shines up nice. No major dings scratches, etc.

Was this pylon anything special or part of any special option package?

Has anyone ever seen this boat or heard of “WATERSPORTS MARINE”?

As far as the pylon is concerned, I’m thinking of having a friend turn a new one for me on his lathe. Unless, of course, someone on TT has an old one lying around…;)

Cheers,

Chris

Table Rocker
03-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Your pylon looks to be the stock solid aluminum pylon with an added release, and yes it is badly corroded. If it were steel, it would rust in the familiar red/rust color like the heads on the Allen bolts on the release.

Sodar
03-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Pylon is aluminum. You can find replacements pretty easily.

Even though the boat was registered in WI, it looks like it has gotten some good use in the salt bath.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2011, 12:06 AM
MBD sells pylons.

http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_110.asp

JLeuck64
03-16-2011, 01:11 AM
As luck would have it... I happen to have a pylon laying around right now. Stock OEM from my 98 PS190. I swapped in a taller pylon from a BF200 last summmer and have been wondering what the heck I am going to do with the old one ever since! Shoot me a pm and maybe we can work something out ( ;

SDProstar
03-16-2011, 02:32 AM
Sodar is right, the pylon is aluminum. I just though it was steel – because it weighs so much.

There’s a lot going on in the next two pictures but I though it might be worth it to someone else.

First picture shows my nasty looking pylon on top of the stock cross brace that bolts between the stringers.

The second picture shows the top of my pylon confirming that it was factory machined to accept a trick release. “Cow magnet” won’t stick, so it’s not steel. It’s 40” long, so now I’m sending a PM to JLeuck64 to find out if his would fit.

I have seen the ones on MBD and they are VERY nice. I wish I were not on a budget…

Thanks to everyone. I’ll post pictures of the repairs when complete, if anyone is interested.

Chris

mayo93prostar
03-16-2011, 07:49 AM
SDProstar,
I have a 93 prostar also and it has an aluminum pylon like yours, except the corrosion. Yours looks like it has seen salt water for a long time. Did you buy it from Wisconsin or in San Diego area? Also, your first post says it is a 93 but your signature says 91, which is it?
What is the condition of the interior?
One problem I have had with my 93 is the foam lining in the motor box fell apart. I have not replaced it yet but there are threads on here showing how to do it.
The other problem I have with mine is the removeable floor sections are sagging because they are made out of aluminum honecomb panel and they have delaminated inside. Another thing for you to look into.
Congrats on finding a great boat that needs a little TLC.

SDProstar
03-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi mayo87prostar,

The “93” was a typo; it’s a ’91. I just figured out how to edit/correct that. Thank you!
I did buy the boat in the San Diego area but it had never been registered in CA. It looked like it had been in the seller’s backyard uncovered for a LONG time. The seller and I got the title cleared through DMV on the boat but I could not get the trailer through DMV. We settled on $1,800 for the boat and $300 for the trailer.

The interior is in fair condition, but is sunburn from exposure. Basically I need new skins and carpet. My foam lining inside the motor box also has fallen apart. I’ll probably install new skins myself (when I decide where to get them made) and do the carpet myself, too.

I removed all the floor sections, along with the seats, to make it easier to fix the ski pylon and install the new engine. I’ll check to see what these floor sections are made of on my boat, but the floor was really solid.

Thanks for the encouragement! So far I have $3,000 in the boat, engine, and trailer. Goal is to build a nice, reliable ski boat for the family for summer 2012, doing most of the work myself.

Chris

Ben
03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd say you got a good deal, 91 is supposed to be a good 190 hull, plenty of comments to be found on that.

Watersports Marine was the MC dealer in Waterford, MI and Fenton, MI, 2 locations. Not sure if that's the same, although WI and MI are not too far apart. A few yrs ago they changed name to Action Water Sports / merged with 2 other MI dealers and closed the Waterford location.

If you could show a logo that says Watersports marine, I could maybe confirm if it seems to be the same one.

Dylan
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Action Watersports, Formerly Watersports Marine:

http://www.actionwater.com/custompage.asp?pg=watersportsmarine

Great project! I think I saw that boat on Craigslist a few months back, nice find! And a fellow San Diegan to boot!

SDProstar
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks Ben & dukenukem,

There is no sign of a logo or dealer decal anywhere, but the hull clearly at one time had 3” lettering on the sides in all caps “WATERSPORTS MARINE”. The boat must have been part of that old dealership.

You’re right, dukenukem, my San Diego brother! The boat was found on Craigslist. I feel like I made an “OK” deal on the boat. I just hope the transmission works and the trailer can be saved.

I’ll try to start new separate threads on the engine/drivetrain, interior, and trailer when I start working on these areas and hopefully I will figure out how to post them in the proper categories on TT.

Chris

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Sure looks like you are into a great project boat for the right amount of money. Good luck with the transformation. As you have already found out, this forum has a wealth of information to be had at the mere hint of a question. Remember to feed us with pics along the way.

mayo93prostar
03-16-2011, 02:08 PM
SD, I think the moderators prefer you keep all the different projects in one thread. They combined multiple threads in the past for someone that made too many different threads. I know it is easier for me to track.

Get her running this year and worry about the cosmetics over time. Enjoy it.

SDProstar
03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Just emailed you back, Jay, on the used pylon.

Thank you!

SDProstar
04-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I bought a used pylon from JLeuck64 and it showed up on my doorstep today! It's in excellent shape and is a perfect match (thank you, Jay!)

Will be able to get back to the repair and post pictures after the Easter weekend.

Chris

DooSPX
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Glad you got a pylon from a fellow member! I feel you did good on the boat. The 91-94 PS190 hulls are considered my many to be the best slalom wake of all time. Fix her up and you will have a beauty and get some good money back if you go to sell it.

Dylan
01-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I bought a used pylon from JLeuck64 and it showed up on my doorstep today! It's in excellent shape and is a perfect match (thank you, Jay!)

Will be able to get back to the repair and post pictures after the Easter weekend.

Chris

Any updates to your boat build?