PDA

View Full Version : Teak Platform Bracket Screws

G-Star
03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Ok... so I started on my teak refinishing this morning. I figured I might remove the mounting brackets to make it easier to sand the bottom of the platform.

I noticed something strange before I took any screws out... it looks like the brackets have both been moved over 1/4" or so. Perhaps because the original holes were stripped out?

1st pic: Here you can see the dark lines (right side and bottom) of where the bracket once was, vs. where it is now.

2nd pic: In this pic, you can see what looks like large holes where the screws used to go into the teak.

3rd pic: And, in this pic, you can (sortof... sorry for the bad pic) see blobs what looks to be silicone-ish sealant under each of the screws. It almost seems to be acting as an adhesive to hold the screws in.

Sooooooooo...
I'm a little scared to pull the screws and inspect what lies beneath. I tried to test/tighten up all the screws on the bracket, and a couple feel like they don't have a lot of bite and will strip if I torque on them a bit. So, I don't want to take all the screws out and then find that none of them bite very well when I put it back together. For now, the brackets seem pretty solid.

What should I do? I can think of the following options:
1. Be calm and carry on / pretend I didn't see anything (until my platform floats away, at least ;))
2. Fix it. (How?) Has anybody fixed something similar before? Can I get something like a helicoil insert for wood? Does that even seem like a good idea?

I'm open to suggestions!

flipper
03-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Take them all out, fill with marine tex epoxy, let dry, drill small holes in the epoxy, and tighten the screws back in. I've done this on mine, and a few other members here. Works great, and you won't have to worry about losing you teak

Thrall
03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
What flipper said, or use a couple little pieces of stranded copper wire as a make shift heli coil, or use Gorilla Glue.
I made a "temporary" repair to my deck after it got ripped off in some waves at a boat dock. All the screws were stripped out on one side. Platform was still wet, filled each screw hole with Gorilla glue, screwd the screws back in just hand tight and weighted down the bracket against the platform and let it set overnight. I was hoping that it would hold for the rest of the week on vacation and 3 years later I sold the boat without the platform ever coming loose.

east tx skier
03-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Everyone has their own method. I think the way I did it on my old boat makes for the most seamless repair. YMMV.

Pull all of the screws. Drill out the holes. Fill the holes with mineral spirits to dry out that oily teak wood. Use Q-tip to make sure each hole is completely free of mineral spirits after giving it several hours to do its thing. Dip teak plugs (you can get these on ebay or at most marine type stores) appropriately sized for the holes in expoxy and pound them one by one into the drilled out holes. Let the epoxy set. Sand and oil. Repair is as close to invisible as it comes. Next, put y our brackets on the boat. Set the platform on the brackets how you want it and mark the hole pattern. Drill some pilot holes and reset your screws.

G-Star
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the help, guys.

It's amazing what you can do with a little glue :D

Kyle
03-16-2011, 02:37 PM
If worst comes to worse then drill new bracket holes or use a thicker longer screw.

Calm down it's gunna be okay.

G-Star
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Already fixed. I'm calm :D

pmkkdx
05-23-2011, 03:54 PM
similar situation but on one of the white plastic / fiberglass platforms on an '04 X2 ... use similar technique?

upon pulling my prop last night laying on the driveway ... I noticed on the underside of the platform that several of the screws were missing attaching the brackets. I am guessing I need to pull out one (or more) of the existing screws to find suitable replacements, but I am also guessing the holes in the platform are likely enlarged/stripped that I would need to either fill & re-drill or move to a larger screw...

what is best to use on the plastic / fiberglass type platforms to use as a filler?

Starshack
05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I also fill every hole on a boat with 5200 before setting any screws in. Had the same problem and filled with epoxy and then set the screws in 5200. I also ran a bead of 5200 on the bracket before setting the screws. Solid as a rock. Platform gets in the water a lot and the slap of waves, pulling yourself up etc puts a lot of strain on the screws over time.

pmkkdx
05-24-2011, 04:17 PM
I also fill every hole on a boat with 5200 before setting any screws in. Had the same problem and filled with epoxy and then set the screws in 5200. I also ran a bead of 5200 on the bracket before setting the screws. Solid as a rock. Platform gets in the water a lot and the slap of waves, pulling yourself up etc puts a lot of strain on the screws over time.

5200??? is that some number for a marine grade epoxy?

G-Star
05-24-2011, 04:20 PM
5200??? is that some number for a marine grade epoxy?

3M marine sealant. http://www.3m.com/product/information/Marine-Fast-Cure-5200-Adhesive-Sealant.html

I've been warned to use 4200 instead, as 5200 is apparently excessively permanent and requires something along the lines of nuclear weaponry to remove.

pmkkdx
05-25-2011, 08:25 AM
great! thanks! seems like the 5200 would be better suited for filling in holes to then redrill.

east tx skier
05-25-2011, 05:53 PM
great! thanks! seems like the 5200 would be better suited for filling in holes to then redrill.

If you're going to fill holes to redrill, I'll again suggest some teak plugs. Seamless and easy to redrill.

G-Star
05-25-2011, 06:14 PM
If you're going to fill holes to redrill, I'll again suggest some teak plugs. Seamless and easy to redrill.

He doesn't have a teak platform.

Probably marine epoxy would be the best bet to fill the holes to re-drill? I'm not sure that the 5200 would give you enough rigidity to be used as a filler. After you drill the holes, you could fill them with 5200 and cover the mating surfaces with 5200 before reassembling the platform and brackets.

psychobilly
05-25-2011, 07:12 PM

That's the only way to fix teak properly. :)

east tx skier
05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Sorry. Title of the thread threw me off.

pmkkdx
05-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Sorry. Title of the thread threw me off.

sorry about that!!!

it was just a similar issue but on a plastic/fiberglass platform ... I searched high & low but didn't find a good thread other than this one close to the topic.

east tx skier
05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
No worries here. My fault for not keeping up with the thread.

pmkkdx
05-26-2011, 04:15 PM
but I would have definately followed your lead / method on my old '83 S&S with the teak platform!!! :D

Juve_nile
05-28-2011, 01:28 AM
One of my brackets came loose recently during a teak refurbish and it's obvious that the screws are not spec'd correctly. Not sure the exact size, but I went with 1/4" to 1/2" longer screws. I recommend anyone with the same platform do the same before it comes loose on you. Hearing it's a common issue.