PDA

View Full Version : And yet another ballast question 09 X-Star

turbosdad
03-14-2011, 11:38 PM
I have a new 09 X star and just installed "piggy back" or overflow fly high sacs. No additional pumps. I was told by the dealer that, "oh by the way, the bags wont fill as the hard tanks have sensors that turn off the pumps when the Hard tanks are full."

Assuming this to be true, how can I disable that feature so that the pumps just keep on pumping?

Thanks in advance.

rgardjr1
03-15-2011, 03:16 AM
You may need to reprogram or replace the timers. I think the 2009s can be reprogrammed to pump longer. Hopefully Jason from Wakemakers.com will see this and enlighten us.

Edit:
I remembered seeing this a while back. It's the programming instructions for the 6 minute timers hopefully you have the 20 minute timers in your boat. Not sure if the procedure is exactly the same or not though:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=593259&postcount=9

jbkriss
03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure why the dealer told you that the pumps turn off automatically when the hard tanks get full. I have the same boat and when the hard tanks get full, water just gets pumped out of the side of the boat (overflow). Then you turn them off, or in my case, switch the fly-high valves to fill up the fat sacs (plumbed in).

In the 09, the timers can be set up to 20 mins. I think mine are at 15 and that's plenty to fill the hard tanks and the 750s that are on top of them.

craig3972
03-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a new 09 X star and just installed "piggy back" or overflow fly high sacs. No additional pumps. I was told by the dealer that, "oh by the way, the bags wont fill as the hard tanks have sensors that turn off the pumps when the Hard tanks are full."

Assuming this to be true, how can I disable that feature so that the pumps just keep on pumping?

Thanks in advance.

Can you let us know how you like the piggyback system after a trial run? I was thinking of installing one in my boat.

Jerseydave
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
In my opinion, it's not necessary to piggyback off the rear hard tanks. On my X-star, I don't use the rear hard tanks anymore because they are too far forward to help increase the wake size anyway.

I installed (2) 400# sacs in the rear, I piggybacked a 750# sac off the KGB in the front and wake is great (without hauling around that extra 500# from the hard tanks, saving some fuel)
You could also use twin 750's in the rear for a more "lippy" wake.

Anytime you piggyback off a hard tank, beware when emptying it will create a strong vacuum on those hard tanks when the sac goes empty. I have a quick disconnect on my sac so I can unplug it as soon as it goes empty.....no vacuum on my hard tank that way.

j4rowell
03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
In my opinion, it's not necessary to piggyback off the rear hard tanks. On my X-star, I don't use the rear hard tanks anymore because they are too far forward to help increase the wake size anyway.

I installed (2) 400# sacs in the rear, I piggybacked a 750# sac off the KGB in the front and wake is great (without hauling around that extra 500# from the hard tanks, saving some fuel)
You could also use twin 750's in the rear for a more "lippy" wake.

Anytime you piggyback off a hard tank, beware when emptying it will create a strong vacuum on those hard tanks when the sac goes empty. I have a quick disconnect on my sac so I can unplug it as soon as it goes empty.....no vacuum on my hard tank that way.

What would be the issue? And how would you create vacuum? Wouldn't air just re-enter the overflow when it done pumping out?

Just curious because I am in the process of putting the piggyback system on my x2.

vision
03-15-2011, 04:03 PM
What would be the issue? And how would you create vacuum? Wouldn't air just re-enter the overflow when it done pumping out?

Just curious because I am in the process of putting the piggyback system on my x2.

If you connect the external ballast bag to your tanks overflow port, the bag collapses when you empty the system, creating a vacuum in the tank. This prevents emptying of the tanks, or at least can make it difficult. Some folks place PVC pipes in the bag to prevent complete collapse.

I agree with JerseyDave. I removed the inflow tubes from my rear tanks, and attached them to my external ballast sacs in the lockers and just use the Jabsco pumps to fill and empty the bags. Never use my rear ballast tanks.

MattsCraft
03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I used the overflow method on my X2 rears. I have never had a problem with emptying the bag or tank. In answer to turbosdad question, 09' has up to 20 minute timers. They are most likely calibrated to a time well over the amount in the hard tank to make sure it fills completely. Using the overflow method you will need to increase your fill time to fill the bags. As far as sensors, the system does also have voltage sensors, which are there to detect too much load on the pump, mainly on empty. If the light on the switch flashes, this indicates a timeout from load or time. See attached.

Jerseydave
03-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Like vision stated, when the fatsac collapses it blocks the vented end causing a vacuum, which can be pretty strong.....maybe strong enough to hurt (possibly crack) your hard tank.
On the rear sacs, when they empty the vacuum is so strong it makes the sac look like a raisin! (insert joke here) :D

turbosdad
03-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Lots of great advice here, THANKS. It appears the dealer is/was wrong. The 09 has timers, like my 08 X-2 which I did the piggy back. Three years on that one and no problems fill or drain. Did reprogram timers at install.

As far as the Star, I was surprised at how far forward the "rear" tanks are. We did have them full except that the VDIG was not showing as the sensors that read level are broke.

We had 8 people in the boat and the wake was awesome with three hard tanks filled. Now I had two people in the bow riding, it got kind of chilly and they moved to the back and we shut the window. With them in the back, south of the driver, the wake got better. It was less wide and more smooth. I had read about NOT using the hard tanks and going with the bags in rear. I am inclined to try that.

Just for a quick look see, I moved all 7 people to the rear of the starboard side, which is where I surf and the wake was terrible. My X-2 was much better. We had no weight in the rear storage or anyone "sitting" on the deck/platform. I hear it takes some work to get a decent surf wake from the Star.

vision
03-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Just for a quick look see, I moved all 7 people to the rear of the starboard side, which is where I surf and the wake was terrible. My X-2 was much better. We had no weight in the rear storage or anyone "sitting" on the deck/platform. I hear it takes some work to get a decent surf wake from the Star.

Agreed. We have a good surf wake port side at 9.8 mph (yes, that slow) and is tall and long. But starboard side with same weight we had mediocre wake that had the best shape at 12.6 mph and it was shorter.

jason@wakemakers.com
03-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately the X-Star takes significantly more weight to generate a good surfing wake, but once you get enough weight in there it's very respectable.