PDA

View Full Version : Safe to drill here?

burglar
03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm getting ready to install my transom lights (Abyss 1515) and I'm trying to figure out if this is a safe place to be sticking a drill bit. It's a 2006 X2. Looking at it from the engine compartment, the area directly inside of this space is enclosed in what appears to be simply a supporting fiberglass arch that runs the length of the boat. There's already a hole at the lower end of the arch that runs port to starboard with some rubber grommets to let water pass through to the bilge. So, I'm assuming this space should be hollow. After drilling through the transom I'll also have to cut a small window through the top of this arch to fish the wiring through. Anyone have specific knowledge of this area that I should stay away from? Thanks in advance!

Chief
03-14-2011, 08:16 PM
That is the stringer and I'm not sure if its hollow. I would suggest drilling elsewheres. Maybe above the plug between the exhaust ports or maybe through the hull but I would not go into the stringer.

TX.X-30 fan
03-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I the hole just the red dot??

JimN
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm getting ready to install my transom lights (Abyss 1515) and I'm trying to figure out if this is a safe place to be sticking a drill bit. It's a 2006 X2. Looking at it from the engine compartment, the area directly inside of this space is enclosed in what appears to be simply a supporting fiberglass arch that runs the length of the boat. There's already a hole at the lower end of the arch that runs port to starboard with some rubber grommets to let water pass through to the bilge. So, I'm assuming this space should be hollow. After drilling through the transom I'll also have to cut a small window through the top of this arch to fish the wiring through. Anyone have specific knowledge of this area that I should stay away from? Thanks in advance!

If you really want to know and be absolutely sure, remove the exhaust flange and reach in so you can measure to that point.

burglar
03-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I was trying to avoid putting them both between the exhaust, as I'm hoping for them to create more of a flood pattern rather than a spotlight.

Yup, the hole is just the 3/16" red center dot for the wires and four 1/8" screw holes at the perimter to secure them.

It's not the exhaust that's obscuring my view, it's the completely sealed section of the fiberglass stringer as chief called it.

TallRedRider
03-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if the stringer is right there.

The hull has not changed since 06, right? Does anyone have a pic of the stock location where the transom light are put at the factory? I would aim for wherever the factory puts them.

east tx skier
03-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I would not be very excited to drill into the stringer. It's composite and all, but on the off chance that you get a leak, that's the last place I would want water pooling.

hbomb
03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
picture of factory instal on the X2

MIskier
03-15-2011, 12:22 AM

NO do no drill in that area!! You will hit the stringer which is foam filled, which you do not want to expose to water. Mount them between the exhaust as they are from the factory.

Kyle
03-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Mount in-between exhaust.

If mounted on the out side where you had it before you may run into the stringer. Also you will be below the floor and need to cut the floor to find the wire or to run wire to it's source.
If mounted in-between the exhaust it will run into the bilge and be fine. Make sure that you run your wires so they don't get tangled up in the steering.

Btw I have 3 in the middle. It's not like a spotlight beam under water. It spreads out quite a bit.

burglar
03-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Alright, it sounds like i'm goin for between the exhaust. It really sounds like messing with the stringer isn't somethin to fool around with. Thanks for the feedback folks! Hopefully i'll get some pics up soon

burglar
03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
As promised, here are some pics of the result. Thanks for all the feedback about where to put them. I actually made one last ditch effort to find someone in support of putting them in my original location by heading up to my local dealer and talking to the big man in the service dept. He completely agreed with avoiding the stringer at all costs, mainly because of having to window the top portion inside the boat to fish the wire through may lead to possible stress cracks down the line. I ended up getting just the results I had hoped for.