PDA

View Full Version : 93' prostar needs more speakers! help!

shocker47
03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
hey guys i got a 93 prostar 205. right now i have 4 speakers two in the front. but want to put 2 more. i found where i want them i just need help.. are there any precautions when cutting into the vinly? Also what kind of saw should i use? jigsaw? thanks!

east tx skier
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I would be very careful with that NLA vinyl. Jigsaw wouldn't be my prefered tool either. I'd guess a box cutter and some fire afterwards, but id be inclined to leave that work to the pros.

Kyle
03-15-2011, 09:29 AM
hey guys i got a 93 prostar 205. right now i have 4 speakers two in the front. but want to put 2 more. i found where i want them i just need help.. are there any precautions when cutting into the vinly? Also what kind of saw should i use? jigsaw? thanks!

It's easy.

Take your speaker templet and draw the inner circles on the vinyl. Then make sure that they are level and where you want them. Then staple the vinyl to the hard surface behind the vinyl on the out side of the inner speaker circle. Then come in with a "sharp" exacto knife. Cut your circle out. This way will keep the vinyl tight and the circle round. You don't want the speaker keeping the vinyl in place as it will cause it to pucker in places. Use a staple gun. I used an electric one when installing my system.
Then drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the circles.
Then use a jig saw, air saw, or saws all to cut out the same circle where you removed the vinyl but now you will be sawing fiberglass or wood depending where on your boat you cut.
Finally install your speaker. The speaker will cover the staples. Run wire and listen to yor music.

It's not brain surgery. I removed my windshield and added speakers and then did the vinyl cutting like mentioned above for two front speakers in my boat. Did complete install in a few days as my install was in depth.

Starshack
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I cut the vinyl in to pie shaped pieces from the center of the circle and then after the circle was cut out stapled them to the inside of the panel - also make sure the speaker screws are long enough to reach the panel through the padding - I had to buy longer stainless screws. It is easy but take your time and use the right tools - also measure twice and cut once!

shocker47
03-16-2011, 07:17 PM
thanks guys this helped alot!