PDA

View Full Version : Summerizing...

03geetee
03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
I thought it might be a good question to ask as there seem to be a lot of new S and S owners out there this spring. Other then whats listed below am I missing anything????

-Install hull plugs (2 of them)
-Replace Raw water impellar
-recheck that all drains and plugs on motor are tight and closed
-Im going to change my tranny fluid before I fire her up for the first time (previous owner changed the fluid every single season)
-start the motor with the original plugs and let the oil from fogging burn off then replace the spark plugs with new ones (antisieze first)
-grease wheel bearings on trailer and check lugs
-check fire extinguisher
-check all lights and guages

Anything major I am missing?

JTR

Duane D
03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
When do you re-install the always present hottie? I thought all MCs came with a hot chick standard!

Skipper
03-14-2011, 05:55 PM
When do you re-install the always present hottie? I thought all MCs came with a hot chick standard!

I suppose that is where I went wrong when I bought a used boat.......:confused:

east tx skier
03-14-2011, 05:57 PM
This is what I use.

Link (http://www.tylerskiclub.com/dewinterization.html)

CantRepeat
03-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Good tip.

Everyone put your hottie in the boat. > Mods, move to swimsuit thread! :D

muskingumriverdocks
03-14-2011, 06:05 PM
I thought it might be a good question to ask as there seem to be a lot of new S and S owners out there this spring. Other then whats listed below am I missing anything????

-Install hull plugs (2 of them)
-Replace Raw water impellar
-recheck that all drains and plugs on motor are tight and closed
-Im going to change my tranny fluid before I fire her up for the first time (previous owner changed the fluid every single season)
-start the motor with the original plugs and let the oil from fogging burn off then replace the spark plugs with new ones (antisieze first)
-grease wheel bearings on trailer and check lugs
-check fire extinguisher
-check all lights and guages

Anything major I am missing?

JTR

What about engine oil? I change mine in the spring instead of fall. Used to change it in the fall and in spring. But that's to expensive now days.

CantRepeat
03-14-2011, 06:09 PM
What about engine oil? I change mine in the spring instead of fall. Used to change it in the fall and in spring. But that's to expensive now days.

I think the train of thought now is if you are going to only do it once a year people have been opting to do it in the fall. Getting the contaminated oil off of the bearings seems to be where this has gone.

I still change mine at the end of the season.

muskingumriverdocks
03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I think the train of thought now is if you are going to only do it once a year people have been opting to do it in the fall. Getting the contaminated oil off of the bearings seems to be where this has gone.

I still change mine at the end of the season.

Never thought of it that way. Figured they would tend to draw a little moisture with varying winter temp. Maybe I'll go back to the old way. That's 4 engines on 2 boats. 350's in my Sumerset take 6 qts. Westerbeke takes 5 qts. I assume this SS will take 5 qts. What oil do you use?

CantRepeat
03-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Never thought of it that way. Figured they would tend to draw a little moisture with varying winter temp. Maybe I'll go back to the old way. That's 4 engines on 2 boats. 350's in my Sumerset take 6 qts. Westerbeke takes 5 qts. I assume this SS will take 5 qts. What oil do you use?

I have been using the Rotella from napa the last 3 or 4 years now.

Do not take my word for it. I'm not an oil expert by any means.

muskingumriverdocks
03-14-2011, 06:38 PM
I have been using the Rotella from napa the last 3 or 4 years now.

Do not take my word for it. I'm not an oil expert by any means.

Same thing I use. My Dad owned a trucking company for years and used 15-40. I still run it in everything I own and I even have to buy it now.

east tx skier
03-14-2011, 08:48 PM

I change mine at winterization so that the old stuff with all the toxins doesn't sit in the engine all winter.

If you have a Ford, I'd suggest going with an oil like Valvoline VR-1 that has the appropriate amount of ZDDp for your flat tapper cam. Rotella reduced it years ago.

2RLAKE
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
I also change at the end of the year so it sits all wint with fresh oil ... Then every 50 hours

03geetee
03-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Same reason I do my oil in the fall when she is nice and hot and while I am doing other things she just sits there and drains.

My thought on the tranny was to let all the junk settle to the bottom so when I suck it all out I have a good chance of getting it.

Oh well we will see.

JTR

epnault
03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Guys,
We are supposed to change the fuel filter and plugs every year???

Sorry-new guy here

Thrall
03-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Guys,

Sorry-new guy here

Fuel filter, yes if it's an older boat with an inline filter. Newer ones with the in tank filter, the consensus is somewhere between the 100 hr reccomended interval and "wait for the fuel pump to die."
Spark plugs, not every year, just as needed. Depending on the quality of the spark plugs, anywhere between 300 and 1000 hrs.
My old boat, changed the plugs at about 170hrs, just because it was new to me and 8 years old.
They Still looked good at over 500hrs when I sold it.

CantRepeat
03-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Guys,

Sorry-new guy here

I don't do plugs every year. Some may.

What boat do you have?

03geetee
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
The fogging oil doesnt foul them out when shooting it into the carb?

Just curious.

JTR

east tx skier
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
The theory on changing them every year seems to have to do with them sitting with the fogging oil on them during layup. I have been very good about changing mine every Spring since I have been a boat owner, but would like others to convince me I don't need to do this each year. I know plenty who don't do it as regularly and don't appear to have any problems.

aquaman
03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
The theory on changing them every year seems to have to do with them sitting with the fogging oil on them during layup. I have been very good about changing mine every Spring since I have been a boat owner, but would like others to convince me I don't need to do this each year. I know plenty who don't do it as regularly and don't appear to have any problems.

My view is changing plugs every 2 yrs is more than adequate because of the new alloys used to make the plugs. They are less likely to oxidize or corrode during the off-season. Look at automobiles.....what is the recommended spark plug replacemnt interval there now?

epnault
03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys. My boat is an 02 ProStar 209.

Since I just got it a year ago I might change the plugs and filter because I have no record of when it was done last. Plus I put over 100 hrs on my last summer.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

03geetee
03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
My view is changing plugs every 2 yrs is more than adequate because of the new alloys used to make the plugs. They are less likely to oxidize or corrode during the off-season. Look at automobiles.....what is the recommended spark plug replacemnt interval there now?

But i dont fog my car and let it sit for 5 months. The way I see it is for 12 bucks I will sleep at night knowing I have new plugs and it keeps me around the motor to see other potential issues that may be developing in that area.

Im wierd I know.

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
03-15-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the lengths that so many of the people on the forum will go to in taking care of their boat, yet scoff at the idea of changing their spark plugs. This is one of the simplest and cheapest measures to ensure that your engine will be running in top form that you can do.

Sure, there are vehicles that give 100,000 miles as the recommended plug change interval, but you will see a fuel economy and ease of starting difference when you change more often.

bturner2
03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I have close to 300 hours on my 07 x2. I pulled a plug at the end of last season and it looked very close to new. I checked the gap and reinstalled. The boat starts and runs fine.

While I can't see the down side of changing plugs every year (other than possibly tearing up a plug wire or crossing the wires when reinstalling) I seriously doubt you'll see any up side either. I'd rather use the money for gas. Unless I see or have any sort of issue I'll leave them in for another year or so.

In the old days when carbs and points were the height of technology plugs would foul due to the engine going out of tune (points wearing), rich conditions (carb out of adjustment) and the materials that were being used. In today's motors with EFI, high energy ignitions and high performance plugs unless something has failed or you're putting serious hours or high stress hours on your boat those old plugs that you're throwing away were probably still good. I can't remember the last time I had someone tell me, or read about an engine related problem due to wires or plugs less than 500 hours old. Heck cars are going over 100K without a plug change.

On the other hand I'm sure it's not hurting anything either.

BTW anyone looking to get rid of their 30 - 50 hour plugs are welcome to send them this way.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Good old preventative maintenance. Much simpler to change the plugs in Spring, than to deal with the possible issues related to a spark plug related problems.

Wikipedia describes Preventative Maintenance as: The care and servicing by personnel for the purpose of maintaining equipment in satisfactory operating condition by providing for systematic inspection, detection, and correction of incipient failures either before they occur or before they develop into major defects.

CantRepeat
03-15-2011, 06:19 PM
My thinking is that spark plugs are more durable then say, oil or gas. It's not a cost issue for me. I ran a set in my 92 for 4 years straight without issue.

east tx skier
03-15-2011, 07:26 PM

On the advice of my local marine mechanic, I'm using copper plugs. I know I'll probably break down and change them. But that's better than breaking down and wishing I'd changed them.

I welcome more debate. :)

TOO-TALL
03-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Don't forget new impeller.
I like to install a new one each spring.
This is just from last season.
Two fins ripped and another had a hole in it and ripped also.

GoneBoatN
03-15-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't change my spark plugs every year. I do pull each plug for inspection and also do a compression test.

bturner2
03-16-2011, 06:25 AM
While I'm in the camp of not changing the plugs every year I do highly recommend changing the impeller every year. That's one part you never really know if it's going bad and will cause some really expensive damage. It also makes for a good spare to keep in the boat. I can live for a day with a slight miss, overheating the engine and warping head is a different matter altogether.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't change my spark plugs every year. I do pull each plug for inspection and also do a compression test.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! So anal about his boat he does a compression test every year, but put the old spark plug in when he is done. :rolleyes:

I am anal about a lot of things with my boat, but I don't reach the point of doing an annual compression test...........................but, then again, might not be a bad thing to add to the spring list.

east tx skier
03-16-2011, 10:08 AM
While I'm in the camp of not changing the plugs every year I do highly recommend changing the impeller every year. That's one part you never really know if it's going bad and will cause some really expensive damage. It also makes for a good spare to keep in the boat. I can live for a day with a slight miss, overheating the engine and warping head is a different matter altogether.

Absolutely! Mine usually isn't shredded like that one, but it is usually pretty malformed from sitting mishapen in the housing all winter. If you don't replace them each spring, definitely pull them in the fall.

CantRepeat
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Absolutely! Mine usually isn't shredded like that one, but it is usually pretty malformed from sitting mishapen in the housing all winter. If you don't replace them each spring, definitely pull them in the fall.

I remove mine in the fall as part of my winterizing. Depending on the condition, with the 92, I may use it for two years.