PDA

View Full Version : drivers seat?

Robert Averyt
08-24-2004, 01:41 PM
The metal thread insert in my 01 190 drivers seat have pulled out.
Has anyone had this problem and come up with a good idea for fixing it.
I sure do not want to have to buy a new seat. I still wonder when I am going to realize the Mastercraft quality.

NeilM
08-24-2004, 01:45 PM
' got a pic? Not sure of what exactly you're describing.

Robert Averyt
08-24-2004, 02:22 PM
The drivers seat bolts to two slide rails and the rails screw to the floor.
In the plastic seat are metal thread inserts cast into the plastic.You bolt the slide rails into the seat with 1/4"-20tpi stainless bolts. My problem is the seat plastic has apperently out gassed and the inserts have pulled out.
Sure I am a big guy and we do make a sharp turn at each end of our lake ~ a gillion times a week. But this is what this boat was built to do.

Right..

captkidd
08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
I know my driver's seat gets gassed a lot too. :eek:

How about trying some good epoxy for the inserts, and then putting some small screws in around them to tighten them up? Never tried it but it might work.

Another option might be to get a piece of delrin or other hard plastic big enough to cover all the holes and screw/glue it to the original base, then drill new holes in this piece for the inserts. It would raise your seat 1/2" - 3/4" (depending on what thickness you used), but this should hardly be noticeable.

What about through-bolting it? You could recess the nuts into the seat base and put a stainless bolt all the way through.

Robert Averyt
08-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Captkidd,

That is a good idea. I can get Delrin from Mc Master Carr. I could put a bunch of screws through the seat base into the delrin and I could countersink some stainless carrage bolts or something of the sort into the Delrin.

Thanks for getting the thought process started. I have apparently had a few to many out the fronts this season.