PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp Gauge or Sending Unit?

rscherer
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I have a 2000 ProStar 190 and the water temperature gauge quit on me this weekend. Which is more likely the cause, the gauge or the sending unit? Next question is where will i find the sending unit? Thanks

JimN
03-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a 2000 ProStar 190 and the water temperature gauge quit on me this weekend. Which is more likely the cause, the gauge or the sending unit? Next question is where will i find the sending unit? Thanks

Do the other gauges work normally? If any are acting strangely, disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while. It might help to make sure the terminals are clean, too. The controller for the gauges is under the dash and may have a thin black rubber hose connected to it and if it does, you should slide it off- if water drips out, it means the diaphragm may have ruptured and water got into the controller box, which is a bad thing. The speedo lines should be purged during winterization.

rscherer
03-14-2011, 03:13 PM
A few weeks ago all of the gauges were acting a little strange. A few times when i turned the key they would make noise and the fuel gauge would slightly bounce and then none of the gauges would work. After a few more starts everything worked as normal. I think the temperature is a different deal as everything else seems to be working fine.

JimN
03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
A few weeks ago all of the gauges were acting a little strange. A few times when i turned the key they would make noise and the fuel gauge would slightly bounce and then none of the gauges would work. After a few more starts everything worked as normal. I think the temperature is a different deal as everything else seems to be working fine.

They may be working but ALL of them are controlled by the same module. Look for a sender on the intake manifold, toward the front of the motor (the end with the pulleys, not the front of the boat) and if it has only one tan/black wire, connect the stud to something that's grounded. The needle should go to full hot if the gauge and control module work and the sender is bad. If the wire is bad, it will do nothing and if the gauge/temperature gauge section of the module is bad, it will also do nothing. A dealer should be able to test the gauge for you and they're supposed to have a test jig.