PDA

View Full Version : 85 S&S Water intake?

DeluxeSS
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey guys need a little help with my 85 S&S. Tried a search but no luck so sorry if I am ignorant.

Just bringin my boat out of winterization and got the motor running with a little trouble, but running solid. Im feeding water through the system and its not flowing through, its just coming out the water intake.

Is this a bad impellar or bad water pump?
What do I need to be looking at here? Hopefully nothing too serious, as the motor runs?

Its my 1st boat so im a little confused.

Thanks for any guidance.

tph
03-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I think most people feed the water into the through hull intake using a "fake a lake" or upstream by disconnecting a hose and feeding it in there. I installed a valve between the through hull and the transmission cooler with a "T" fitting that allows me to hook up a hose that I put in a 5 gal. bucket filling with water. That lets me see if the water pump is doing its job.

DeluxeSS
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Sorry,I shoulda been more clear. I'm running water from the hose into a t valve in the line of the intake. My problem is that the water isn't being taken into the motor, just running out the intake through the hull.

ski_king
03-13-2011, 05:00 PM
How about a photo of this valve setup you have.

My guess is you need to turn the handle on the valve 90 degrees to direct the water to engine.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Sounds like the water if following the path of least resistance. That isn't my way of doing things, but I think you need a valve between the intake T your hose is connected to and the water intake to close of the escape route.

My preferred method is using a bucket and hose.

ski_king
03-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Also, chances are the impeller has be trashed after running it without water going thru it. Replace the impeller.

DeluxeSS
03-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the replies

The system I have with the water is how I always have ran it, and its worked fine. It wasnt working after bringing it out of winterization. It does have a valve at the T.

Found that one of the hoses that was removed was clogged from a wasp nest and got it cleared now and its flowing through. Gonna go ahead and replace the impellar as its prob close to time anyways, and prob didnt help running it trying to get water to go through. Got water at the exhaust now :D

Thanks for the help though

Cloaked
03-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Pic attached