PDA

View Full Version : mounting depth/temp guage

LaRue
03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
OEM through-hull depth gauge is sporadic and not trustworthy. I want to change to a transom mount depth/air/water/temp gauge. wondering if anyone has a photo of where they mounted the transducer to ensure location before violating the gel coat.

Barefooter92
03-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Think long and hard about that. I epoxied a puck in the hull next to the shaft penetration with mine. I have depth and water temp. Bulletproof. I would have liked to have an air temp as well but opted for one with out.

LaRue
03-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe I'm missing the obvious but how do you get water temp with a thru hull transducer?

dpolen
03-13-2011, 01:45 PM
I installed a new Lowrance depthfinder last year in mine that does the water temp plus depth...works pretty good without having to drill any holes. I too was surprised that I could get a water temp without having to drill a hole. Here's what I bought...I think I had to buy a separate transducer, but it works great!

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=92748&pdesc=Lowrance_LST_3800_Dash_Digital_Depth/Temp_Gauge&aID=604D1&merchID=4006

I installed the puck in the same spot as the old one. Had to mess around with the epoxy a bit to ensure I got a good, accurate depth reading.

Barefooter92
05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
LaRue:

Finished my boat last night and remembered I owe you pictures of my lake temp sensor.

This is my spare section of hose with the garden hose attachement. This works well when winterizing. I turn the water on and when the engine is off it dumps through the fresh water intake not putting pressure on the motor. When the motor is on it sucks most of the water through the impeller.

This is the temp sensor mounted in a section of hose with a cap. The sensor is epoxied in the end of the cap. One pipe clamp and switch hoses, I keep the flush hose in the glove box.

Hope this helps.

LaRue
05-05-2011, 12:38 PM
appreciate the thought and the feedback. I'll see what happens and let you know.

Ski-me
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Don't you get a little engine heat on that sensor, which might skew the reading a bit?

gotta_ski
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Doesn't the tube with the sensor fill with air? It seems like a long tube to scavenge the air out. I guess with a clear tube you could see if its full of water or air. If it works it works, right? Clever design.

Barefooter92
12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Your both right. Over the summer I would see about a 3F rise in temp. This winter I cut the extra hose down so the thermocouple was in the water stream. I cut about 6" off.

east tx skier
12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
OEM through-hull depth gauge is sporadic and not trustworthy. I want to change to a transom mount depth/air/water/temp gauge. wondering if anyone has a photo of where they mounted the transducer to ensure location before violating the gel coat.

Do you mean "in hull" as in expoxied inside the bilge or "thru-hull" as in hold in the bottom of the boat with transducer flush mounted. I have the latter (replaced my perfect pass paddle wheel with it) and it has worked very well.