PDA

View Full Version : Slalom rope

shepherd
07-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, it was my first time out in a month. On the second run of my first slalom set, the ski rope breaks... no spare. I tie a good knot in it (I REALLY wanted to ski :o ) and the rope breaks again... in a different place :mad: . OK, give up.

Now, desperate, I go to Boater's World (no pro shop in this part of the woods) and all they have is a ski rope with 8-section line. Looking at the diagram it goes: 15 off, 22 off, 32 off.... What happened to 28 off? If I buy an 8 section line online from Overtons or somebody else, will it be missing the 28 off length??? Or should I go ahead and buy the 10-section line. I always believed that the only difference between the 8-section and 10-section was in the really short line lengths. The rope at Boater's World was some no-name brand so I can't go by that (needless to say I didn't buy it).

Any thoughts TT'ers? I want to get my new rope ASAP.
Thanks.

shepherd
07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Oh yeah, when I go online to buy my new ski rope, I'm thinking about buying a flush mount so I can flush my engine with fresh water more easily. Can anyone recommend a good device? -- I guess the "suction cup" deal with the extendable pole is the most common. How well do they work, easy to deal with?

BriEOD
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't think I would ever buy a rope from Boater's World, etc. You have a couple of options you could order from Overton's, Barts, Ski Limited. Actually Ski Limited recently had a closeout on some 8 sections mainlines with handles. The other option is to buy from this site. It's gotten high praise on here.
http://www.jlbmfg.com/intow.htm

BriEOD
07-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Oh yeah, when I go online to buy my new ski rope, I'm thinking about buying a flush mount so I can flush my engine with fresh water more easily. Can anyone recommend a good device? -- I guess the "suction cup" deal with the extendable pole is the most common. How well do they work, easy to deal with?

I'd go with this if it were me.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP7

BrianM
07-18-2005, 10:58 AM
http://www.jlbmfg.com/intow.htm

Brenda is awsome and makes a great rope. Nearly everyone in our club uses her stuff. Best time to get her is usually after 1pm Mountain Time.

shepherd
07-18-2005, 11:10 AM
I'd go with this if it were me.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP7

Thanks Brian. That's exactly what I had in mind but didn't know that anyone sold them -- a mechanic once tried to sell me one (that he made) for $70. I'm definitely getting one.

east tx skier
07-18-2005, 11:24 AM
An 8 section rope should have 28 off. Mine does.

In a pinch, if you have an Academy sporting goods store, they carry decent 8 section lines.

Brenda is very good to work with. I tried to buy a handle from her recently. She wasn't able to get the diameter I wanted because of delay getting the core bar from the supplier. She followed up and gave me the name of someone who had purchased that handle from her recently for resale. It'd been about 3 weeks, so I'd already bought another handle, but when I wear it out, I'll be making a call to in-tow.

By the way, www.masterlineusa.com has some good prices on ropes right now. I just got a 12" monster small diameter (.94) handle from them.

MarkP
07-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Doug, Did you look around for the best price? Iím due for a new handle and rope. I think the one Iím using is about/almost a year old and its starting to show..

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Yes. I, too, am feeling due for a new rope as the 15 off loop is starting to show wear. Maybe if I could ski shortline, I could hold off. ;) I got the smaller diameter handle because I hold it in my fingers and skied on a .94 at ski school and wasn't as fond of my old handle after that.

Basically, you can get an 8 section ML poly braid for $29. You can go spectra for more than that.

The 12" monstor small diameter (.94) was $37 (really $39 but their computers were down and I called and quoted $37 from memory). Just happened to be exactly what I wanted. The rest of their handles are $45 or so. For anything other than 1.05 or .94, you're going to spend $72 for the mapple custom series. Too pricey in my opinion for my level of skiing.

Brenda's handles are $41 or more (if you get different options). All custom made and custom grips using either Poly E or Spectra. Her ropes are in the $40 range, too. Straightlines are in the $30--50 range. Didn't buy from her because she didn't have .93 or whatever in stock and couldn't get the core bar.

You can also buy cheap "proline" ropes and handles for $20 for what that's worth.

MarkP
07-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Have you looked at the Advantage ski lines?? What did you think of them??

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes, but I thought they were out of business, but for some old stock. I've skied with their handles (ski school). Good stuff. Accurate apparently makes good ropes/handles, too. The handle with the small diameter was $74 though.

MarkP
07-21-2005, 12:15 PM
I remembered one of them going out of business but couldnít remember what one it was..

east tx skier
07-21-2005, 12:22 PM
It was advantage.

Ric
07-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks Brian. That's exactly what I had in mind but didn't know that anyone sold them -- a mechanic once tried to sell me one (that he made) for $70. I'm definitely getting one.
Let me say this about the flushpro
the ONLY reason I bought one is so that I could flush the motor ANYWHERE I wanted to.
It works fine if you hook your garden hose to it. It never leaked or failed in the roughly 100 hours I had it on my boat.
BUT
the dam thing will not pull water from a bucket
there's an attachment that they call a winterizer device in that pic on skidim. Trouble is, the boat won't create enough suction to use the winterizer device.
my big plan was that on a saltwater run, we'd ski til dark & then run around in the boat for a while.
I always stopped and washed the boat at a carwash no matter what hour I headed home.
I didnt want to wake the neighbors flushing the motor in my driveway but it had to be done.
I wanted to fill a bucket at the carwash and run a short pigtail to the flush pro and run the motor during the wash down.
IT DO NOT WORK FOR WINTERIZING.
I called perko a few times but never got a real solution from them

Ric
07-21-2005, 12:46 PM
It was advantage.
Ya, they still sell leftover stuff on ebay but I dont think they make anything any more
I have their ars curved handle and absolutely love it
When it's gone I will go to in-tow and get something like it.

MarkP
10-20-2005, 10:41 PM
You guys arenít all using the 12Ē are you?? Iím using the 13Ē and think the 12 feels too small..

east tx skier
10-20-2005, 10:52 PM
I went with 12" after using 13" for a couple of years. They always used 12" at ski school and I got used to it. I tend to keep my hands close together anyway.

MarkP
10-20-2005, 11:00 PM
I bought a 12 this summer and didnít like it. So Iím still hunting.

Iíll bet I end up at intow this winter or spring. I have been looking at some of the Proline and Masterline stuff though.

http://www.gotriver.com/proline_water_ski_ropes.htm

betsy&david Harrison
10-20-2005, 11:54 PM
At the INT Nationals last weekend we picked up a Straightline 10 section rope for $30.00. It was the last day and they were just giving stuff away. Wade Cox was there and we had a nice conversation. Pretty funny about his skies and how he shaves them down, paints them black and sticks stickers on them...stickers make it quicker...direct quote! I'm getting me some more MC stickers! B

BriEOD
10-21-2005, 07:51 AM
I have a 13". I had a 12" and kept missing the handle.

MarkP
10-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Thatís a great deal Betsy.. Iíve been looking for the last couple of months for that deal..

Ric
10-21-2005, 10:02 AM
13" radiused handle 1.060" diameter ARS.... it's nice