PDA

View Full Version : Our first boat

tgump
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I recently purchased our very first boat, a 1990 Prostar 190. I'm not very familiar with boats, but this one was seemed like it was in pretty good shape, and I picked it up for $4300, which seemed like a good deal. My brother-in-law knows the guy who had this boat and said it ran very well. I didn't get to drive it since it was already winterized, so I took his word on it. The boat was maintained by a local boat dealer mechanic who does work on the side. It needed a good cleaning both inside and out, and the trailer has several rust spots and needs a little work. The upholstery seems like it's in pretty good shape with only a few small cracks. The teak needs sanded and a fresh coat of oil added, and new decals need added on the side & rear transem. The gelcoat still has a nice shine to it, but the teal color is a little faded in spots. Any recommendations on what to use to bring the teal color back on both the boat and trailer ? The engine is a Indmar 351 with 606 hrs. Is there anything in particular I should be concerned with since the boat is 21 years old? Any help would be appreciated. I will post more pics soon.

tgump
03-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Here are some more pics.

mjb100798
03-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Congrats and welcome...tons of great guys here willing to help and very friendly and quick w/ replies...check the Keel to see if there is any damage since there's a pic of it beached, also check the swim deck brackets and if you can get to the bolts on the backside just behind the gas tank to see if they are rusted..didnt check mine and they were nearly rusted off....got any pics of the engine? Meguiars number 49 w/ a high speed buffer can get your gelcoat looking fairly normal, then some Meguiars 51 should help it stay that way, as for the decals look up Jim@Baws on here, he just quoted me a set for 158$, should be the same set as yours...If i think of anything else i'll post...

Welcome, Jay

Thrall
03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Congrats. looks like a pretty good deal you got!
Check out the Maint section, Appearance, for plenty of tips and write ups on buffing/polishing, oxidation removal, teak care, etc. Looks like some elbow grease will get it into good shape.

milkmania
03-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Here are some more pics.

wet-sand, compound, buff, and wax

my transom was as faded as yours is.....SERIOUSLY!

didn't even have to worry about the "old decal shadow" after I wet-sanded and compounded it

and sno-bowl, tidy-bowl, SLR, etc..... will get most of the nasty stuff off the bottom

milkmania
03-11-2011, 02:16 PM
where'd the below the waterline gunk go:confused:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=64980&stc=1&d=1299866219

pmkkdx
03-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I have only used Mequiar's marine products for about the past 30 years ... my '04 X2 had some dull spots and hadn't been overly cleaned when I got it ... a weekend of cleaning, polishing and waxing brought it all back out to near new ... then upon pulling out of the lake, a couple of towels used to dry the entire boat keeps it shining all summer long.

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/products/ and most of the local boat shops will carry too.

kjb
03-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Looks like a great boat at a great price !!! Just dont try to make it loud !!!!

blakehardesty
03-11-2011, 03:28 PM
where'd the below the waterline gunk go:confused:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=64980&stc=1&d=1299866219

its not on one side it looks like. Look at the pic with his hand shadow. Its not there either.

josepcedwards
03-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I would like to have had that boat at that price!

oldairboater
03-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Nice boat. Change all your fluids and filters if that hasn't been done recently is my advice. Several on here know how to clean up a hull and give great advice but research what you are going to do well before you do it. Enjoy.

Jeff Lyman
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Fender repair, Unless you have done that type of repair before I would take it off and go to a local body shop. One that has experience with Vetts would help. You may want to bring both fenders so they look the same when done. A professional shop will have a computer that reads color to properly get the color to match.

We would charge about $300 to repair the missing part and about $300 to paint both fenders just to give you an idea. May be cheaper to buy new ones? Good luck hope my 30 years helps you out. GREAT deal you got, congrats!

2RLAKE
03-12-2011, 10:07 AM
when we picked up our barefoot 200 last year the hull was completely brown with scum. i used lime away and a mild hull cleaner, along with my Griot's polisher (several threads on polishers). it took two days but i ended up with a mirror finished on the hull .... we gained over 10 MPH

enjoy and welcome teamtalk

milkmania
03-12-2011, 12:22 PM
I would like to have had that boat at that price!

I'd offer $5000.00 with no other information needed! 8p

then I'd remove that half a$$ed window tint job first thing:cool:

j4rowell
03-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Still winterized? You didn't fire it before you bought it? Trusty guy...

Nice boat for the money if it runs as good as you've heard.

muskingumriverdocks
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. I at least heard mine start before I forked over the cash. I don't like leaving one in over the weekend because of the work to clean it up. That's a mess.

tgump
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
One thing I forgot to mention was that the previous owner said that the speedometers didn't work all the time. Should I replace the pitot tubes on the rear, or replace all the tubing since it's so old?

tgump
03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Milk & Blake,

I read on here that someone used "The Works" toilet cleaner to get that gunk off, so I picked a bottle up while I was at Walmart to try. It worked great!! That was the best $1.37 I've ever spent ;-) The only bad part is that my boat now smells like a TB!! What did you guys use to wetsand? I might give that a try next after I remove the teak.