PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami hits Hawaii, barrels to U.S. West Coast

atlfootr
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Tsunami hits Hawaii, barrels to U.S. West Coast

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42024659/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Tsunami hitting Hawaii not turning out to be too big.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey altfootr, clear out your PM file!

CantRepeat
03-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Tsunami hitting Hawaii not turning out to be too big.

Is the video from Hawaii online yet?

atlfootr
03-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Not sure, currently there watch'n the swells heading towards Hawaii
There saying, it's suppose to hit 2:55 local time., it's night over there right now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42024659...s-asiapacific/

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Reports of Tsunami hitting the Left coast don't sound too serious either, barring some surprise turn of events. The wave will be hitting at low tide and is expected to be less than 2'. Sounds like it would be worse if someone was surfing behind an X-series boat with ballast.

jeffbare
03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
My in-laws are at thier condo in Kehei, Maui. They had to spend the night in a parkinglot in upcountry last night. They got back to the condo to find that the "tsunami" didn't make it up the beach.

03 35th Anniversary
03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Last I seen on the internet was that it was about 5' tall by the time it made it there...

kkkeating
03-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Already some good size boats, +30 feet have sunk in Santa Cruz harbor plus numerous others drifting about because they've dislodged from their moorings.

captain planet
03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
The video footage of the waves coming ashore in Japan is downright unbelieveable. Some of the shots of the wave and debris going over the low lying farm land is........I mean you almost can't put it to words the shear amount of energy and distruction. :eek3:

BriEOD
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I still have some friends that live in Hawaii (wife and I lived there 97-01) and they said despite great alarm, it was a relatively minimal event--no damage, no lives lost. Thank God!

2RLAKE
03-12-2011, 09:23 AM
one of our guys at work was actually sitting in a airplane in Narita waiting to takeoff as it hit ... scary stuff ...

bigmac
03-13-2011, 04:53 AM
My wife and I are in a cottage on the beach on the north shore of Oahu ATM. This 6 foot killer tsunami was a total non-event. The "tsunami" did impressively drain the bay for a minute, but the surge was about a foot high. A little further down the beach at Sunset, Pupukea, and Banzai Pipeline it came up only a little farther than high tide. Biggest story around here was that they found some fish in a parking lot at Hale'iwa and a rowboat broke loose. Civil Defense didnt give the all clear until about 8 AM. The irritating part of that was that Starbucks stayed closed.

They did what they had to here, and were pretty efficient about it..they had to assume worst-case scenario. It was my first tsunami ever. Thankfully, it was a disappointment.

CantRepeat
03-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Just read a report of an entire village with a population of 9500+ is missing. That's pretty terrible. I hope report turns out to be false.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Not much out there on the nuke plant that exploded. Said The shell of the building was destroyed but the metal reactor was still intact. Explosion was due to a large hydrogen release that accumulated in and around that building. They are trying to cool it with sea water in an emergency effort.

JohnnyB
03-13-2011, 11:29 AM
My wife and I are in a cottage on the beach on the north shore of Oahu ATM. This 6 foot killer tsunami was a total non-event. The "tsunami" did impressively drain the bay for a minute, but the surge was about a foot high. A little further down the beach at Sunset, Pupukea, and Banzai Pipeline it came up only a little farther than high tide. Biggest story around here was that they found some fish in a parking lot at Hale'iwa and a rowboat broke loose. Civil Defense didnt give the all clear until about 8 AM. The irritating part of that was that Starbucks stayed closed.

They did what they had to here, and were pretty efficient about it..they had to assume worst-case scenario. It was my first tsunami ever. Thankfully, it was a disappointment.

Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt. Seriously, was on Kauai last year for the tsunami. The T-shirts were printed by the end of the week. Got one before I left :cool:

What town are you staying in on the North shore of Oahu? When we were there we stayed in Honolulu but spent most of our time on the beaches on the North Shore.

CantRepeat
03-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Not much out there on the nuke plant that exploded. Said The shell of the building was destroyed but the metal reactor was still intact. Explosion was due to a large hydrogen release that accumulated in and around that building. They are trying to cool it with sea water in an emergency effort.

I read that the levels of radiation being leak from reactor #1 already indicate at least a partical meltdown of the core and #3 has become unstable as well. :(

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/7470286.html

They have some issues for sure.

CantRepeat
03-13-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/7470286.html

They have some issues for sure.

Well, they already evacuated 170,000 people so if does go further south it wont end like Chernobyl with over 400,000 being exposed.

2RLAKE
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
This will now be the poster child for scare tactics for groups against good clean nuclear plants, unfortunately

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
This will now be the poster child for scare tactics for groups against good clean nuclear plants, unfortunately

Yes it will sadly.

mattdda
03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
And the regulatory agencies will que it up to make it harder to build new plants and operate the ones in operation.

2RLAKE
03-13-2011, 09:26 PM
And with the soaring cost of oil, now is the time this great country needs to reinvest in nuclear powerplants to reduce our addiction to foreign oil ... Yes sadly there will be more restrictions.

Interesting though, one of our friends daughter wants to go into nuclear engineering ... I think that might a great field for some

Slinkyredfoot
03-13-2011, 09:43 PM
My thoughts go out to the Japanese people, I saw videos of the tsunami and everyting else, absoluetly devestating and so sad.

I am happy the United States is reacting to the beckon call of a great ally and for a very good reason.

I have buried the the bitterness from a lost family member from WW2, the Japanese are wonderful people.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2011, 10:40 PM
And with the soaring cost of oil, now is the time this great country needs to reinvest in nuclear powerplants to reduce our addiction to foreign oil ... Yes sadly there will be more restrictions.

Interesting though, one of our friends daughter wants to go into nuclear engineering ... I think that might a great field for some

I believe if we had kept going with our nuke plants it would be built-proof energy by now. Hell the French use it for 80% of their electricity with no problems ever.

Instead of learning from 3 mile we puss-ed out and it seems there are not any huevos left.

CantRepeat
03-13-2011, 11:22 PM

Nope! Not even close.

Derailing all nuclear plants because of unpredictable earth quake wont even be a topic.