PDA

View Full Version : water in tranny oil- missing impeller fins

jdeml
03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
trust me i have read many many posts but i would like a quicker answer then me trying to desifer (sp) what to do. changed the oil on both the tranny and engine today. engine oil was normal black but real runny. tranns oil uses 15-40 and it was carmel. like coffee with tons of creamer. I have always read these forums, 2-3 years, and i wanted to be familar before i purchased a mastercraft of routine maintence. I bought a 2003-4 xstar with mcx and i wanted to know what to do. I pulled the oil cooler and will have that checked to see if its cracked as a lot of people seem to go that way. i was just wondering whats the best and worse case scenarios?? also I changed the impeller also and found 2 whole vanes missing. i guess what im asking is should i flush tranny with atf as its cheaper and how would i go about doing this? just fill it up and then suck it out?? also what should i do in looking for the impeller fins? I really do appreciate all the help on this site and you guys are great. i have saved alot of money on my old boat by reading through here and thought id start here since someone has been in the same situation. so thanks ahead of time

FrankSchwab
03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
For the tranny, there are two possibilities that I know of:
1. The transmission cooler is shot. Replace it and you're good to go.
2. Water was allowed to get high enough in the bilge to reach the transmission vent, or covered the shaft seal for awhile. You'll probably be looking for a new starter, blower, and maybe a few other electricals.

In either case, suck out what's there, fill it back up with new, run the engine for a minute, suck it out, fill it back up with new, run it up and down the lake, suck it out, fill it back up with new, and you should be good to go. I'd go with 15w-40; it really won't take that much, and you won't have to worry about cross-contamination.

The impeller just sounds like it needed to be replaced. I replace mine yearly to avoid having to worry about where those little impeller vanes lodged in my engine. If you're going to find the vanes, they'll probably be in the thermostat housing. If you don't find them, tell yourself that they got washed out the exhaust pipes and you don't have to worry about them.

Anyway, run the boat for an hour or two and check both the engine oil and the transmission fluid. Check the water level in the bilge to make sure the bilge pump is working. Check the engine oil and transmission fluid every hour or two for awhile, to make sure you aren't getting any more water intrusion.

Have fun.

/frank

jdeml
03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Im going to take the oil cooler to a radiator shop tomorrow to see if the oil coolers at fault. hopefully thats all it is.

bigmac
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
The MCX transmission cooler is between the impeller and the engine, which means the missing impeller rubber is either hung up in the tranny cooler strainer (big pieces) or flushed all the way through the engine (smaller pieces). Those strainer holes are about 3/32 inch diameter IIRC.

jdeml
03-10-2011, 12:47 AM
i checked the strainer, this may should dumb but isnt the strainer the oil cooler? just people call it different things. also is there any way overheating due to that could have caused the oil cooler to break causing water in oil?

CantRepeat
03-10-2011, 07:10 AM
i checked the strainer, this may should dumb but isnt the strainer the oil cooler? just people call it different things. also is there any way overheating due to that could have caused the oil cooler to break causing water in oil?

In Bigmac's post he is refering to the inside of the cooler, which has holes for the water to pass through, as strainer holes so he is talking about the same thing.

There are coolers on all the boats. Some people add a strainer also. It's a little device that has a screen in it and pre strains the water before it gets to the cooler.

Here is what some strainers look like.

http://www.sherwoodpumps.com/NR/rdonlyres/62F36B31-6A5E-489B-8134-7DFFE54D1C9C/362/MPG_Line_Strainers.jpg

psychobilly
03-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Here's one of those Sherwood strainers installed.

Now my boat is an oldy but goody, am I missing something on the newer boats??? My Oil Cooler is up stream from my water pump so there's no way the impeller veins could be there on my set up. Are the newer ones down stream of the pump??

bigmac
03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Now my boat is an oldy but goody, am I missing something on the newer boats??? My Oil Cooler is up stream from my water pump so there's no way the impeller veins could be there on my set up. Are the newer ones down stream of the pump??
Yes. On the MCX, they're located after the raw water pump. Because of the strainer inside it, it would be highly unusual for rubber pieces to get lodged in the cooling system. If you can't dig them out from the upstream side of the cooler by detaching the lower hose (uh..just like it show in the owners manual), they aren't there.

jdeml
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
ok got ya now. i dont have a water strainer on mine. i just figured people were calling the oil cooler the strainer sometimes. since it does catch debris and cools the trans oil. well i suppose the vanes are gone. now off to the radiator shop. thanks

cordark615
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Since you have that cooler off, do you care to measure it and tell me what the size of the tranny lines are, the big water lines, and how long it is. I am having the same problem as you but my boat is a hour away and dont want to waste the fuel to go measure it. Skidim has two but i dont know which one it is. Thanks

jdeml
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
ok when i gave you those measurements for the cooler before it was tip to tip. most will just measure barrell. i think. mine had 3 hoses coming off it to the tranny. is that right? top and bottom water hose holes measure 1 1/4" and barrell of cooler is 9" so i think by their measurements youd need the 9" x 1 1/4" hope that helps.

jdeml
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
also tranny lines look to be 3/4 or 3/8 barb fittings. cant tell for sure but should be universal to your cooler your buying.

76S&S
03-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Another possiblilty that no one's mentioned is a blown tranny seal. However, if that is the case, you will have some milk in the bilge which I haven't seen mentioned.

cordark615
03-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks alot, going to give Skidim a call.

jdeml
03-11-2011, 06:04 PM
i didnt notice any fluid in bildge. I just bought it and havent taken it out yet. i was just doing routine maintence when i noticed the carmel trans fluid. sucked alot out. probably 4 qts or so so it wasnt leaking. just tested my oil cooler with an air compressor and bucket of water. got to 100 psi and no bubbles. im lost. maybe it got in thru the breather and the guy never noticed? any help would be awesome. thanks for all the help so far.

jdeml
03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
also cordark the barbs are 1/2"

FrankSchwab
03-12-2011, 04:47 PM
If the cooler is fine, then change the fluid and go skiing. Keep a close watch on the fluid to see if you continue to have water intrusion. If you do, you'll have to look harder, or simply replace the cooler. If you don't, then water got in because there was too much of it in the bilge.

In any case, I'd do the normal maintenance specified in the manual, including lubing the starter bendix. Go have fun, but watch the fluid.

/frank

bigmac
03-13-2011, 04:24 AM
ok got ya now. i dont have a water strainer on mine. i just figured people were calling the oil cooler the strainer sometimes. since it does catch debris and cools the trans oil. well i suppose the vanes are gone. now off to the radiator shop. thanks

In nautical terms, anything that filters water is a strainer. The oil cooler has a plate in it that has several holes in it for the purpose of catching debris - weeds, impeller pieces, other FOD - therefore it is a strainer in addition to being an oil cooler. The plastic strainers seen elsewhere in this thread are also a type of strainer.

jdeml
03-13-2011, 06:35 AM
thanks everyone for your replys. very much appreciated. i will keep an eye on it!