PDA

View Full Version : High output alternator installs 06 MCX

craig3972
03-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Anybody put a high output alternator on thier boat? Just curious to see if you can just buy one and bolt it on without any difficulties? Other things that might need to be changed as a result of the higher output? negative side effects?

j4rowell
03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
What would be the purpose? Generally these boats are designed to handle a fully loaded system. Do you have 10 tower speakers with 8 amps or something?

craig3972
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
200w each to 6 cabin speakers, 200w each to 4 tower speakers, 500w each to 4 subs

j4rowell
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Class D or H amps? If so then a total of 4k watts? Cheaper way may be capacitor. I assume everything is dimming when the subs hit? Or are you running the system without the boat on and your battery isn't recharging enough?

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
200w each to 6 cabin speakers, 200w each to 4 tower speakers, 500w each to 4 subs

Good call on the upgrade, look at Balmar they make the best marine alt's. 3 battery system too is you want unlimited juice. Kinetik batteries will work great with your power output too.

The Balmar will bolt right on.

east tx skier
03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I know they sell a 100 amp upgrade kit for CCs. They also sell an upgraded wiring harness with that kit to handle the extra power. Make sure your wiring can handle a higher output alternator.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I know they sell a 100 amp upgrade kit for CCs. They also sell an upgraded wiring harness with that kit to handle the extra power. Make sure your wiring can handle a higher output alternator.

Not a bad idea, but with an outboard regulator you can control the output to the bank of batteries. I believe it just puts out the same power but will keep that up under the extra load of that much stereo stuff.

east tx skier
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
[/B]

Not a bad idea, but with an outboard regulator you can control the output to the bank of batteries. I believe it just puts out the same power but will keep that up under the extra load of that much stereo stuff.

Over my head. :)

55 amp alternator, one starting battery, and 5 channels going to a small sub and four cockpit speakers does me just fine.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Over my head. :)

55 amp alternator, one starting battery, and 5 channels going to a small sub and four cockpit speakers does me just fine.

Under-achiever..............:D

east tx skier
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
That closed bow makes for a might big speaker box. :)

aaron.
03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
they have a 100-120 (not positive which amperage) alternator for the LQ9. the gentleman i bought my boat from had it installed already. So, i know for a fact that you have options sir

CantRepeat
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Class D or H amps? If so then a total of 4k watts? Cheaper way may be capacitor. I assume everything is dimming when the subs hit? Or are you running the system without the boat on and your battery isn't recharging enough?

Capacitors seem to a waste of money from everything that I've read and can be a hard on batteries and amps. I removed the one from system.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Capacitors seem to a waste of money from everything that I've read and can be a hard on batteries and amps. I removed the one from system.

I agree, do it right one time and be done with it.

Slinkyredfoot
03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I have a 35amp alternator and put a stereo in my old 79. I have noticed the battery at times needs to be jumped after heavy use during the day. Amp meter shows it is charging. Is the 35amp unit enough?

JimN
03-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Caps are good for removing some fluctuations in voltage but the best way to avoid needing them is to A) use a high output alternator, B) use an adequately sized charging lead, C) use a battery with high CCA output and D) keep the cable runs short. Also, don't try to get maximum output at idle. The alternator isn't made to deliver max voltage/current below a certain point because it's going to resist rotation more, if it does.

You can momentarily short a wrench across the terminals of a capacitor (DO NOT DO THIS! IF YOU DO, I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!!!!) but if you measure what's left afterward, you'll find that it's pretty much depleted. You can crank a starter on an engine for quite a while and that will never happen with a capacitor.

JimN
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I have a 35amp alternator and put a stereo in my old 79. I have noticed the battery at times needs to be jumped after heavy use during the day. Amp meter shows it is charging. Is the 35amp unit enough?

You're asking a rhetorical question? If not, your alternator isn't even close- it's possible that it needs to be rebuilt after all this time. If you do anything, have it rebuilt and up-graded to the highest rating possible for that style of alternator case. That way, you only need to re-install it, connect it the same was as before and run it.

JimN
03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
For a small woofer, check this one out-
http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=538

craig3972
03-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Good call on the upgrade, look at Balmar they make the best marine alt's. 3 battery system too is you want unlimited juice. Kinetik batteries will work great with your power output too.

The Balmar will bolt right on.

what is the OEM model type I would be replacing?
I called a local alternator shop and he said it is simple for him to modify the OEM alternator to produce 150amps - 14.5volts at idle speed for $150. He knew it was a marine application.

I already run two Kinetiks HC2000 batteries (100Ah) I was thinking about getting two more.

What is the effiency difference between a class D and a class H. who else makes mobile class H amplifiers other than Wetsounds?

rgardjr1
03-09-2011, 06:00 PM
who else makes mobile class H amplifiers other than Wetsounds?

Arc Audio-basically the same amps as Wetsounds with cosmetic differences.

TX.X-30 fan
03-09-2011, 06:12 PM
I called a local alternator shop and he said it is simple for him to modify the OEM alternator to produce 150amps - 14.5volts at idle speed for $150. He knew it was a marine application.

I already run two Kinetiks HC2000 batteries (100Ah) I was thinking about getting two more.

What is the effiency difference between a class D and a class H. who else makes mobile class H amplifiers other than Wetsounds?

That will save you a ton, the Balmar is going to be 7/8 hundred. I can't remember is the mcx is single or dual foot, but its as easy as that. Great batteries the store amazing power. Use the tool on their site to plug in to the calculator it will tell you what you need.

CantRepeat
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Caps are good for removing some fluctuations in voltage but the best way to avoid needing them is to A) use a high output alternator, B) use an adequately sized charging lead, C) use a battery with high CCA output and D) keep the cable runs short. Also, don't try to get maximum output at idle. The alternator isn't made to deliver max voltage/current below a certain point because it's going to resist rotation more, if it does.

You can momentarily short a wrench across the terminals of a capacitor (DO NOT DO THIS! IF YOU DO, I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE!!!!) but if you measure what's left afterward, you'll find that it's pretty much depleted. You can crank a starter on an engine for quite a while and that will never happen with a capacitor.

Everything that I have read points to better batteries, better alt and good wiring. Even in the threads I read about competion systems caps were never used. In fact, one comp installer went on to say that since the judges don't even bother looking at the pretty blue lights he doesn't even use them for a show effect anymore. I laughed.

JimN
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM

The max output from an alternator depends on the case size, to a large degree. Take the part number from the one that's on the engine and use that as the starting point.

As far as amplifier classes, use the link-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier_class#Power_amplifier_classes

JimN
03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Everything that I have read points to better batteries, better alt and good wiring. Even in the threads I read about competion systems caps were never used. In fact, one comp installer went on to say that since the judges don't even bother looking at the pretty blue lights he doesn't even use them for a show effect anymore. I laughed.

Stiffening caps were very popular in the early '90s but I stopped doing car audio in '97 and I really haven't kept up, although the fundamentals don't change. As a judge, we never cared whether the system had lights or not, since they have absolutely nothing to do with audio. I judged sound quality but installation quality, measured performance & creativity were far above gimmicks when it came to awarding points. If someone wants the win the SPL contest, they need lots of batteries, lots of unregulated power, lots of speakers and amplifiers that can handle difficult loads. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that it will sound good, it just means it will be loud.

craig3972
03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
It finally got warm up here in the great white north - the alternator number is an 11SI or 8600002 12V 95Amp GRD. NEG

Wake2004
03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Listen to what JimN has said, but do avoid running many batteries unless your goal is to have a large storage capacity for listening while the motor is off. For every battery that you add you increase the load on the altinator reducing its ablility to supply current to the boat accessories and stereo. I run 3 large Rockford Fosgate amps with only 1 battery but I almost never run this system with the motor off so I do not need the extra storage.

TX.X-30 fan
03-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Listen to what JimN has said, but do avoid running many batteries unless your goal is to have a large storage capacity for listening while the motor is off. For every battery that you add you increase the load on the altinator reducing its ablility to supply current to the boat accessories and stereo. I run 3 large Rockford Fosgate amps with only 1 battery but I almost never run this system with the motor off so I do not need the extra storage.

What would you listen to floating and swimming?? My 150amp Balmar had no issue with 3 batteries.

JimN
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
It finally got warm up here in the great white north - the alternator number is an 11SI or 8600002 12V 95Amp GRD. NEG

Define 'warm'.

craig3972
03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Warm - not so cold as to keep my vinyl seat from cracking when walked on.

Warm - still snow on the ground and frost in the earth

warm - begin to understand again why I own a boat

warm - better than bad, its good

craig3972
03-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I found a 200amp alternator from DB electrical, so should be about 100amps at idle. The salesman says it was developed especially for HO marine applications - supposed to bolt-in and hook up with no trouble. fingers crossed
I am going to run 3 kinetics batteries 2250amp each. My stereo guy tells me that you want to have a large store of power to draw from, that way each amp is operating at its maximum potential.

shunra
03-15-2011, 06:20 PM
I found a 200amp alternator from DB electrical, so should be about 100amps at idle. The salesman says it was developed especially for HO marine applications - supposed to bolt-in and hook up with no trouble. fingers crossed
I am going to run 3 kinetics batteries 2250amp each. My stereo guy tells me that you want to have a large store of power to draw from, that way each amp is operating at its maximum potential.

Can you supply a link for that alternator. I had a look and couldn't find it on their site.

I have the TBI not the MCX. Anyone know if the same alternator will fit?

TX.X-30 fan
03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Can you supply a link for that alternator. I had a look and couldn't find it on their site.

I have the TBI not the MCX. Anyone know if the same alternator will fit?

My guess is yes same sm-block.

TX.X-30 fan
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Great set-up give us a review after you get out on the water. My guess would be 2+ hours at 50/75% of max. Forever at normal floating, chilling, beer drinking volume.

milkmania
03-15-2011, 07:24 PM
I found a 200amp alternator from DB electrical, so should be about 100amps at idle.

what kind of price?

JimN
03-15-2011, 07:48 PM

You'll definitely want to upgrade the charging lead, which is sized for 75A, if that.

craig3972
03-16-2011, 12:11 AM
the DB electrical salesman says that it is a new product they just finished developing for this spring, thats why its not on their site yet. The price is $395.00 + $15.00 shipping. He says he will send me a pic tomorrow - i will post it for your comments.

craig3972
03-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Here are the pictures of the alternator from DB electrical. OEM replacement, 200amp, $395.00 + shipping

craig3972
03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
more pics, this looks like a good fit

agarabaghi
10-20-2011, 11:37 AM
any update on this alt?

craig3972
10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
worked good all summer - first summer I didnt drain the battery down to nothing (with the stereo and motor running) I wanted to measure its output but dont have a meter that i can loop the line to measure amps.

agarabaghi
11-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Could you pm the model number again I lost your msg

deminimis
08-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Well, it's two years later. How has the alt held up?