PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle Maintenance for Upcoming Season

GT500 MC
03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Before I go into a dealer and am told I need EVERY maintenance done under the sun, I wanted to check with some folks who tow 5,000lb loads all summer long on what they do to keep their tow rig dependable. This will be my first summer towing anything over 2,000lbs so in the past I haven't been all that concerned. I have a 60,000mile '07 Durango with the 5.7L Hemi hauling a 2010 x14v. I towed the MC twice last fall and definitely noticed the Dodge working a little harder. It has the tow package with transmission cooler, tow/haul mode, etc. Other than brakes and changing tranny fluid, anything else? Any advice is appreciated.

flipper
03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I do the rear dif about once a year just because sooner or later somebody gets it in the water.

Huskie05
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Change the oil at every interval, and every year, have the transmission fluid changed, I make them drop the pain and get everything out. Other than that, normal service. I tow down to Late Powell over steep mountain passes, and through very hot heat. I have a FordF350 4X4 long bed, it handles the job very nicely. My second Ford, never had any issues towing, keep on the service like a nun on the bible. I keep the truck clean, like the boat...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Look in your service warranty booklet it will tell you what maintenance needs to be done under certain driving conditions.

stuartmcnair
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Change the oil, change the fuel filters, change the air filter, check brakes and have it aligned. Both diff's serviced. Transmission fluid changed out. Coolant changed out.

Huskie05
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
you got me motivated, just had the tranny fluid changed, oil changed, and rear diff... off we go....