PDA

View Full Version : water softener alternatives. EasyWater, does it work?

gatorguy
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm getting ready to install a water softener and am looking for alternatives to the traditional salt softener. I just want to see if there is any new technology out there other than the 80 year old stuff. I found this system called EasyWater and it sounds good, but does it actually work? It costs twice as much as a regular softener from the Depot.

http://www.easywater.com/howitworks.aspx

Anyone have any experience with one, or is a chemist and knows it actually works.:confused:

Thanks

east tx skier
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
If it doesn't adjust the mineral content, how exactly is it "softening" your water. That said, I'm not sure how adding salts "softens your water either." If you're only concerned about scale buildup, this might work. But without removing minerals like Ca, Mg and CaCO3 or HCO3 from the water, it's not technically any "softer."

I'm not a chemist, but I am pretty familiar with my water makeup from making beer.

91ps190
03-12-2011, 12:28 PM
The brine (salt) softeners work on ion exhange. Calcium and magnesium ions are exchange with sodium ions.

east tx skier
03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
What about bicarbonate? Isn't that also a component of water hardness?

liledgy
03-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Google "quality water associates". Everything you want to know about different systems and softners. Almost to much information (for me). I bought a clack wsc1 from QWA a few years ago and have had no problems. Gary slusser? is the owner. I bought it over the Internet, he has his phone numbers listed to, cell included. The clack head is azimuth better quality product than your going to get than at a big box store.

Craig
03-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Brine softeners will also remove bicarbonate and sulfur ions. You can even get pellets that will help remove some iron. If you live in the Midwest and have a well this is an absolute must.