PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Fender Repair

tgump
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM
I recently bought a 1990 Prostar 190 and the previous owner backed into something and ripped the corner tail light off trailer. Any ideas on how to fix this?

BriEOD
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Run a search using the search feature at the top of this page for "trailer fiberglass repair." There have been numerous threads about this issue. It is certainly doable.

nickespi
03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Run a search using the search feature at the top of this page for "trailer fiberglass repair." There have been numerous threads about this issue. It is certainly doable.

X2
Fiberglass repair is actually pretty easy!

milkmania
03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
looks like a pretty big job for a novice..... :twocents:

ProStar Slalom
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
You'll probably need to take the fender off. You'll have to make a form or something that will allow you to shape the fiberglass and hold it in place as it dries. Fiberglass cloth and resin can be found at walmart in the auto section. I would make one large patch with several layers of fiberglass and coats of resin, and then cut out the hole for the tail light. As others said, several examples on here. It will take some work, but if you're cheap like me, you can do it yourself with good results.

CantRepeat
03-09-2011, 12:54 PM
looks like a pretty big job for a novice..... :twocents:

It should buff right out.

rjracin240
03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Easy repair but time consuming due to having several curves that you have to work with.
Here is a web site that will give you some good lessons on fibreglass and gel coats as well as a good source of supply.

http://www.fibreglast.com/category/Learning_Center

Few quick tips:
You could do this repair in sections doing the lip first and using a stiff piece of cardboard as a backing. Cut a piece of cardboard to the width of the lip, take it over to the other fender and get your bend radius, then tape this piece of cardboard to the inside of your trailer fender and lay your glass over the top, once it is dry you can use the same method for the curves from the flat part to the sides/lip.
Got ahead of myself a little as you would want to grind/scarf the edges of the existing fibreglass bac about a inch or two before laying on new glass. Insure the surface is clean before laying new glass down.
Couple of techniques:
Take a clear tuff plastic such as a piece of garbage bag and cut it to a size that is a little bigger than your repair pieces. Then hold it over your area to be repaired, take a hylighter pen trace the outline of your repair area you are going to lay your glass up on. Cut your repair piece of mat so that it is slightly larger than the outline you just traced, put this in between the two pieces of plastic, mix up your resin, put your resin over the mat close up the plastic so that the mat is sandwiched between the two pieces of plasti and use a squeege to spread the resin back and forth squeezing the excess resin out. Now take a pair of scissors cut out your repair piece using the outline made earlier and then pull away one side of the plastic, put the mat up against the area to be repaired and use a squeege to work out the air bubbles where the mat is mating up against existing fibreglass. When the matt has dried peel off the plastic.
Sorry for the long winded tips but hopefully they will help you with your repair and make it pretty painless, congrats on the boat.....Academy sports has the cheapest price I have found for a replacement light!

Ski-me
03-09-2011, 03:30 PM
I did it last year with good success. Here is my old write-up.....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35541&highlight=fender+repair

americanskierJim
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
It should buff right out.

I am with you here. Use a heavy duty wool pad and some heavy duty compound. I should look like "NEW". Here is a good starter Kit

tgump
03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Where is this kit from?