PDA

View Full Version : Is the X 15 a good ski boat

slalomskier
03-08-2011, 10:14 PM
We're researching purchase of a new mastercraft and are thinking about X-15 which we've read may not be very good for skiing. Heard that attitude adj plates are critical to smooth out its wake. We've skiied behind the Maristar 215 and liked it; can we expect the same ski performance from the X 15? Any insight from Mastercraft owners would be very helpful.

mccobmd
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Good depends on what kind of skier you are. For recreational slalom it is probably the best of the larger boats. If good is prostar quality you will be disappointed.

willyt
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
if you've skied the maristar 215... the X15 wake will be identical (barring any additional weight issues). Same hull (ceteris paribus) = same wake

slalomskier
03-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the responces. Will the rack on the X15 make a big difference in the wake?

2RLAKE
03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
no, the rack does not weigh much as its all aluminum. As mccobmd said, as long as you are a recreational skier and not trying to run the course you will be fine. My nieghbor has a X15 and they all ski off it just fine. The X15 is one of my favorite all around boats .. tons of room, great looking lines, and a terrific wakeboard boat

H20BOY
03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I would suggest the wake plate on the X-15 if you plan on skiing alot. It makes a huge difference.

jason95gt
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
If you are wanting the prostar ski wake, then go with the X-14v otherwise the X-15/215 is one of the best all around boats. Great wakeboard and surf wake too.

Thrall
03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
With a handle like "slalomskier" I wouldn't think the X15 would be up to snuff for you, but if you've skiied a MS215 and liked it then you've answered your own question.

Age Fighter
03-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I would suggest the wake plate on the X-15 if you plan on skiing alot. It makes a huge difference.

Great idea IMO also. As for recreational skiing -- I am no more than a rec skier and probably not even very good for a rec skier. Having said that, I am picky about the wakes. The plate will cost maybe 15-1600.00 installed professionally and will make the boat significantly better as a slalom boat -- according to every report I've ever heard on those with plates.

In fact, my X 14 just had a plate installed last week and I can't wait to give it a try.

slalomskier
03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
many thanks for all the informative responses. just trying to make sure we identify the right 'craft' before plunking down the dough.

GoneBoatN
03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I have the 2010 X-15 but use it mostly as a wakeboard boat. It has the attitude adjustment plate and makes a big difference if trying to smooth out the wake that the boat throws even with the ballast tanks empty.

ShawnB
03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
many thanks for all the informative responses. just trying to make sure we identify the right 'craft' before plunking down the dough.

Don't take our word for it -- grab your ski and try one out! Only you know what you like. I really didn't like the XStar for wakeboarding even though most would say it's the best wake out there.

Jeff d
03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
An old slalomer's trick is to fill the ballast with helium to decrease the wake.

Age Fighter
03-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I have the 2010 X-15 but use it mostly as a wakeboard boat. It has the attitude adjustment plate and makes a big difference if trying to smooth out the wake that the boat throws even with the ballast tanks empty.

What kind of setting do you use to do this with the wake plate? 25%, 50%, etc?

Sodar
03-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I would be really interested to know if you could actually run a X15 through the course...

I know, I know everyone says go with an X14/X14v, but I cannot STAND the layout of them! X2? Not a fan of the picklefork.

If the X15 had even a slightly reasonable ski wake with some modifications, it could be a real viable option...

Justin MCO
03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Where in the SouthEast are you located?

sand2snow22
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I would be really interested to know if you could actually run a X15 through the course...

I know, I know everyone says go with an X14/X14v, but I cannot STAND the layout of them! X2? Not a fan of the picklefork.

If the X15 had even a slightly reasonable ski wake with some modifications, it could be a real viable option...

I've skied one without the plate. The bump is about twice as big as my boat. Probably 3 times your boat. Still fun, just catch a little air.....X-14V weighs 3,800 lbs. X-15 3,575.....Hmmmm? Hull on the X-14V is flatter, though....

Age Fighter
03-10-2011, 01:46 PM

I know, I know everyone says go with an X14/X14v, but I cannot STAND the layout of them! .

Interesting. The X14 and X14v have very different lay outs. You don't like the 14v layout?

Bouyhead
03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Don't take our word for it -- grab your ski and try one out! Only you know what you like. I really didn't like the XStar for wakeboarding even though most would say it's the best wake out there.

Best advice out there. Buying a ski/wakeboard boat without skiing/riding behind it is like buying a new car and not driving it first.

Sodar
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Interesting. The X14 and X14v have very different lay outs. You don't like the 14v layout?

I hate both layouts.

X-14DD needs a traditional layout. Period.

X-14V... I would never do it just because I would rather have a DD, if I could.

X-15 looks the best of all the options, but probably skis horribly.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
wisely said, slalomskier. you can spend $80,000 on a purple corvette or you can spend $80,000 on the same corvette painted red. which would you rather have? do your homework before you place your order. for the same money you can get any number of boats that all do different things. all are great boats but be sure and get the boat that fits your needs also, consider which direction your needs are likely to evolve. if you figure that in a few years everyone will be wakeboarding and only you will be left recreationally skiing then maybe you will want to order your boat giving wakeboarding slightly more consideration. or vice-versa if you suspect you will want to try to become a better skiier and no one you care much about will be wakeboarding.

slalomskier
03-10-2011, 03:11 PM
If the X15 does have the same wake as the M215 then i would say its fine for skiing. I spent a weak on the M215 and the wake was fine.( With the adj plate.)

slalomskier
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I spent a weak on the M215 and the wake was awesome. (with attidude adj plate.) So if the X15 does have the same wake as the M215 I would believe it's a pretty good ski boat

GoneBoatN
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
What kind of setting do you use to do this with the wake plate? 25%, 50%, etc?

About 25% seemed to start having a good effect. But then again, you are talking to a wake boarder not a skier.

I agree with the directions that most the posts seem to be taking. It's about choices and tradeoffs. My decision was easy. I wanted: biggest boat I would shoe-horn into the garage (mostly winter time storage during the rainy season), a boat with lots of room to store all the stuff that we take as a family, son wanted a tower for wakeboarding, wife wanted the tower to get the wakeboards off the floor of the boat, I wanted an all-around boat and dream of becoming a moderately decent wake boarder (second childhood syndrome)... I'm a really good snow skier but I really don't really water ski much at all.

Even I test drove the boat I was looking at to determine if it met my needs. I only had to see the wake to see that it was what I wanted - :cool:. Although I would think you are looking for opinions to help narrow down your choices.

sully
03-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Attached is a pic of our old Maristar 215 wake. The wakeplate was not available at the time so this what it look like without it. I believe we were going about 28-30mph.

JohnE
03-11-2011, 08:34 AM
I hate both layouts.

X-14DD needs a traditional layout. Period.

X-14V... I would never do it just because I would rather have a DD, if I could.

X-15 looks the best of all the options, but probably skis horribly.

I've had the same thoughts. I'd like to get on a 215 to see how it ski's for myself.

I don't see a traditional layout working with the 214. Engine placement won't allow enough room for a sunpad and rear seat.

FoggyNogginz
05-29-2013, 02:10 PM
An old slalomer's trick is to fill the ballast with helium to decrease the wake.

This completely cracks me up!

TxsRiverRat
05-29-2013, 03:30 PM

This completely cracks me up!

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gifhttp://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif