PDA

View Full Version : Lenco Trim Tab install on 2002 X-30

prostar205
03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
One of my big projects during this winter was to add the 2011 Lenco Trim Tab to my 2002 X-30. Let me tell you it is alot harder than people make it out to be especially when trying to add the tab's position gauge. I want to thank everyone a Northwest Watersports in Issaquah for working with me on getting all the necessary items along with Lenco who provided excellent technical support. The install is not completed yet but I decided to start posting what I have done so far so people could get an idea of how big this job is. I've started a parts list to make it alot easier for others looking to do the same thing. Identifying and gathering all the correct parts has been the most difficult part of this project.

Anyway, here's the parts list complete with some pics.

M/C PN 530062 Lower Bracket - Qty 2
M/C PN 500438 Trim Tab Gauge Pigtail - Qty 1
M/C PN 506880 Beebe Trim Tab Gauge - Qty 1
M/C PN 559014 (Lenco PN 30074-001) Control Box - Qty 1
Lenco PN 30049-004 Control Box Wiring Harness - Qty 1
Lenco PN 20609-021 Trim Tab Blade - Qty 1
Lenco PN 15057-001 Actuator - Qty 1
Lenco PN 30133-103 20' Actuator Extention Wiring harness - Qty 1
Lenco PN 15095-001 Switch, Rocker - Qty 1
Lenco PN 50015-001 Upper Mounting Bracket - Qty 1

The only real modification we've had to do to make the tab fit is to fabricate a plate that bolts to the transom under the drain plug to get the blade to fit up far enough so it doesn't drag below the profile of the hull.

Here are the only pictures I have so far - unfortunately, none of the actual install but those are coming.

Please let me know if you have questions, I feel pretty much like a subject matter expert on this by now.

prostar205
03-23-2011, 01:59 AM
The gauge is in and working. So far the trim tab is working like it should. More pics coming soon. I won't have it de-winterized for a couple more months - early May.

prostar205
03-24-2011, 03:39 PM
As promised, PICTURES. Not many now but I get the boat back today or tomorrow. These are from my installer. He did a great job. Let me know your thoughts.

Sodar
03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Been holding off to respond until pics got posted, but it is looking great!

What type of Underwater Lights are those? They new too?

prostar205
03-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, the LEDs are new. Don't know the manufacturer of the LEDs but I'll find out. My installer says they throw some serious light.

I also ripped out the entire ballast system and had it re-designed. Pictures of that project will be up as well. I've got a seperate thread going for that project too.

Lastly, I'm making new tower feet pads as soon as I get the boat back from my installer and back on my lift.

prostar205
03-25-2011, 08:17 PM
What type of Underwater Lights are those? They new too?

The LEDs are from Lumitec Lighting out of Delray Beach, FL. They are the SeaBlaze 3 white units.

ahhudgins
03-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I will be watching this thread. I had planned on doing an install this winter on my Maristar 200 but I just didn't feel like doing the work in the winter with no garage. Look forward to more pictures!

prostar205
03-25-2011, 09:17 PM
FINALLY - the pictures!!!! Got the boat back today and it looks GREAT. I am so exicted to get out on the water. For now, I had to just take getting it back on the lift after being in the shop for 3 months = free heated dry storage.

brucemac
03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
just wanted to say nice upgrade!

prostar205
03-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks.

The LED are new too.

I also ripped the entire ballast system out and started new. I'll be updating that thread here soon.

Sodar
03-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Looks Great! Totally factory. That is odd how they got around not using a shorter actuator.

Does that gauge say Deede?

prostar205
03-25-2011, 09:29 PM
It reads Beede. They are in Penacook, NH. It matches the Medallion gauges about 95%.

brucemac
03-25-2011, 09:30 PM
who did the install and custom fab work prostar205, pm me if you'd prefer

Sodar
03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Guess I should learn to read :o

prostar205
03-25-2011, 09:36 PM
who did the install and custom fab work prostar205, pm me if you'd prefer

Bruce -

Shane at Divine Marine (www.divinemarine.com) in Mill Creek, WA did all the work. He did a great job. The custom fab work they had to do was the plate that the trim tab mounts to to be able to mount it up as high as possible to clear the rear drain plug and the custom bending (and rewelding) of the SS tab.

Everything else I supplied. Identifing the correct brain box, gauge and wiring harnesses was the most difficult part of this install.

Feel free to ask all the questions you guys (and gals) want.

prostar205
03-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Guess I should learn to read :o

No worries. It's realy hard to see at the angle I took the picture. The gauge is out of of 2005-2007 X-45.

ShamrockIV
04-20-2011, 06:40 PM
looks great!! i have the same year and model and i am looking at surf tabs. why did u just do the trim tab? thanks and the upgrade looks awesome!!

prostar205
04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
looks great!! i have the same year and model and i am looking at surf tabs. why did u just do the trim tab? thanks and the upgrade looks awesome!!

I only did the trim tab to decrease the porpoising of the boat. With the L-18 engine in the boat, it's a little more rearend heavy than other X-30s with small block engines. I may to surf tabs down the road.

rspiecha
04-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Is the posterior of a 2005 X-10 the same as your boat's posterior??? I really like how yours turned out. Where did you order the parts, directly from Lenco and Mastercraft dealership????

Thanks

Rob

prostar205
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Is the posterior of a 2005 X-10 the same as your boat's posterior??? I really like how yours turned out. Where did you order the parts, directly from Lenco and Mastercraft dealership????

Thanks

Rob

I think the profile of the stern is very close between our years. As for where I got the parts, it was half and half.

I got the following parts from a Lenco distributor, Master Repair. They are literally 2 blocks from the Lenco factory in Florida.

> Control Box
> Trim Tab Blade
> Actuator
> Control Box wiring harness
> 20' Extension wiring harness
> Upper actuator bracket
> Switch, Rocker

From my MasterCraft dealer, I got these parts:

> Guage
> Guage wiring harness
> Lower actuator bracket

prostar205
05-21-2011, 04:27 AM
I finally got the boat out this evening to try out the trim tab. All I can say is WOW!!! It's like I have a new new boat. It slices thru the waves and almost no porpoising. Dare I say the wake appears to be almost "skiable" - this coming from a person that has only skied behind direct drive tournament approved boats. I am very existed about this upgrade.

Now on to the ballast fill and empty times with my new ballast system (separate threads for that one).

mastercraft06x2
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I am looking to install a trim tab just wondering what you paid for it / did you buy yours from an MC dealer?

FINALLY - the pictures!!!! Got the boat back today and it looks GREAT. I am so exicted to get out on the water. For now, I had to just take getting it back on the lift after being in the shop for 3 months = free heated dry storage.

prostar205
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I am looking to install a trim tab just wondering what you paid for it / did you buy yours from an MC dealer?

The total price was around $1,000 in parts and $600 in labor. The parts included the guage and seperate computer to run the gauge. I bought most of the stuff directly from Lenco in Florida. A few items where purchased from my local MC dealer like the guage and some small system specific wiring harnesses. Please let me know if you want more info. You can always call me on my cell at (206) 595-2788 to discuss real time.

It was the greatest thing I've added to the boat in the 7 years I've owned.

JLMONTANA
08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
The installation looks fantastic. Just a quick question if you have a minute: does the installation add to the overall length of the boat (for storage purposes, my garage has little room to spare for my X10).

prostar205
08-27-2012, 01:53 PM
The trim tab doesn't extend as far as the swimdeck. If you take your swimdeck off to get the X-10 in your garage, the tab will add about 1 foot to the overall length of the boat. However, that is easily cured by pulling the pin on the actuator that holds it to the blade thus allowing the blade to swing down vertically and taking it out of the overall length calculation.

rspiecha
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Hey prostar205, your part list at the top of this thread complete with all parts needed for this install??? I'm going to start trying to find the parts and get this installed for my winter project for the boat.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob

prostar205
08-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Yes, my first post has everything you'll need to do this install except the pigtail in the second photo. My installer did not use that for some reason. I think it went between the tab's brain box and the guage. The only other thing is to make sure you understand wiring especially if you're going to install the position gauge and brain box. If you don't want to guage the install turns really cheap and very easy.

Lastly, you'll need to find a machine shop to make you a plate to offset the tab from the hull.

Saluki Skiers
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Very Nice Mod!!! Were 230vrs owners and ive been considering this very mod and your photos are just what ive been searching for. How did the boat perform after? I like the LED's as well!

Saluki Skiers
03-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Sorry about that. I failed to see your comment about the performance change above. New member, so my bad. Thank you for including the entire parts lost above. Thats greatly appreciated! Now off to gather the parts! Thanks again! Seth

prostar205
03-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Any time. Feel free to "pick my brain" with any question(s) regarding the install or parts.

Saluki Skiers
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey prostar205, do you by chance have any technical drawings or expanded parts list for the trim tab its self? I'm gonna make the tab (maybe) in my family machine shop (cnc) and if I had drawings/measurements and any things you'd do different to the tab let me know as Id have the opportunity to add or delete or modify. your install looks great!!

nickespi
06-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Wow, was reading through this old thread and think I may have to do this. How does it affect the wave at different speeds? I board and surf. Can't believe the price of the gauge module. Leave those off and it saves $400!

cookster22
07-01-2015, 09:59 PM
PS 205-- so....how skiable is the new wake? I'm looking at adding a Trim Tab to my 04 X30 to make the wake more slalom friendly. Thanks much!

prostar205
07-01-2015, 11:28 PM
PS 205-- so....how skiable is the new wake? I'm looking at adding a Trim Tab to my 04 X30 to make the wake more slalom friendly. Thanks much!

My reasons for installing the trim tab were to reduce the propoising of the boat - which it did nicely.

I would say the tab also flattened out the wake a lot but don't expect your X-30 to ski like a PS190 or smaller direct drive boat. Depending on what you are used to skiing behind, I think you will find this tab cures several issues with our hull design.

I absolutely love it and I've had it on there for 3-4 years. I would definately do the guage if you can. It is nice to have.

Bubbacuse77
08-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Has anyone done this on a 190/197? I have an 02 without the hooked hull and I would like to cut the wing off the rudder and add a movable tab..........great thread.

uplander
08-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Nice install, looks good

Have you looked at surf tabs yet

D. Newland
09-18-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm currently tackling this project. Thanks for the thread! If you don't mind, I have a few pics of minor differences/changes that I'd like to post on this thread to keep info in 1 spot.

1 question, though! How/where did the gauge pigtail get wired? I don't have all the parts yet, but the one wiring schematic I have from the Lenco actuator isn't giving me any hints.

prostar205
09-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Post pictures and I'll try to help.

D. Newland
09-21-2015, 01:25 PM
I did more research this weekend about the trim gauge wiring and have most of it sorted. I think I just need to find out where the Lenco signal wire is located and tap into it.

Anyway, 1st item I tackled was to counter-sink the drain hole.

D. Newland
09-21-2015, 01:29 PM
I found a late model take-off wake plate from an X-Star on EBay. I clearance-cut the trailing edge as it needed a 9-degree bend on each side to flow with the transom. I fab'd a bending brake out of 4X4's, a metal bar that had an angle cut edge, a jack and my boat trailer. Measured 5 times...bent once.

I had a friend TIG weld the cuts, then gave the Powder-Coater $30.

D. Newland
09-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Well, the Lenco control box Prostar used is no longer available new, and Lenco no longer has a unit that controls an analog gauge. I may have to go without a gauge. I think I'm OK with that.

I did find one on EBay, but @ $400. I asked the seller for more info about it as there's no photo. Other control boxes are $120-ish, so I'm wondering if it's something completely different..?

If anyone has input, please share!

rgardjr1
09-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Well, the Lenco control box Prostar used is no longer available new, and Lenco no longer has a unit that controls an analog gauge. I may have to go without a gauge. I think I'm OK with that.

I did find one on EBay, but @ $400. I asked the seller for more info about it as there's no photo. Other control boxes are $120-ish, so I'm wondering if it's something completely different..?

If anyone has input, please share!

I'm looking at a Lenco document that shows the replacement for the control box 30074-001 as 30074-001D. Not sure if the D appended to the end of the part number stands for digital, but the document does show it as a direct replacement.

If the above information is incorrect-Can you use one of the Lenco double digital switches?
Not the greatest because you only need a single switch, but it does provide the position information on the switch itself.

D. Newland
09-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks for posting that item. I did research it and the D does apparently mean Digital, so you need that dual keypad to work with the control box. I just couldn't find a good mounting location for the dual switch and I'd rather have a single switch mounted on the down-slope of the throttle armrest.

Lenco has been somewhat helpful in forwarding me PDF info, but they didn't send the right document.

D. Newland
09-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Installed. Turns out the Lenco Airboat single switch does not need any control box. Downside-no gauge and no auto retract. Upside-I got this done for approx. $700.

It takes 3 seconds for full extension and the trim motor just free-spins when it's at either end of it's stroke, so I don't think I or my boys will have a problem "feeling" where this plate needs to be when in use. the auto-retract is not important to me.

I'll get some use out of it and if I feel I need the gauge, I'll pull the trigger on the proper box on EBay.

A few tips. Pulling the drain plug helped determine the transom thickness so I could get accurate pilot hole depth and screw sizes. Still managed to pass through the transom on 1 hole, though. And, knowing to countersink the gel-coat, I still lightly cracked 1 hole. Fortunately, the actuator bracket covers it up.

Also, with this Lenco actuator mounting location, the backside (or front side) of the transom is where the intake ballast manifold mounts (there's a plastic-fiber block glassed into the hull). I eliminated mine last season when I went to 3 direct intakes for my pumps, so it wasn't an issue.

Lastly, I used the short actuator to not have to use the wake plate extension brackets. I toyed with the idea of mounting the actuator on the horizontal/upward slope of the transom as I liked the angle better, but it's rounded and I couldn't comfortably mount it high enough to have the plate at a good retracted angle. Those extension brackets may have helped if I really wanted the actuator mounted there, but where it's located now is obviously working for Prostar, and mine runs up/down just fine, too.

I should have it in the water this week.

rgardjr1
09-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Installed. Turns out the Lenco Airboat single switch does not need any control box. Downside-no gauge and no auto retract. Upside-I got this done for approx. $700.

It takes 3 seconds for full extension and the trim motor just free-spins when it's at either end of it's stroke, so I don't think I or my boys will have a problem "feeling" where this plate needs to be when in use. the auto-retract is not important to me.

I'll get some use out of it and if I feel I need the gauge, I'll pull the trigger on the proper box on EBay.

A few tips. Pulling the drain plug helped determine the transom thickness so I could get accurate pilot hole depth and screw sizes. Still managed to pass through the transom on 1 hole, though. And, knowing to countersink the gel-coat, I still lightly cracked 1 hole. Fortunately, the actuator bracket covers it up.

Also, with this Lenco actuator mounting location, the backside (or front side) of the transom is where the intake ballast manifold mounts (there's a plastic-fiber block glassed into the hull). I eliminated mine last season when I went to 3 direct intakes for my pumps, so it wasn't an issue.

Lastly, I used the short actuator to not have to use the wake plate extension brackets. I toyed with the idea of mounting the actuator on the horizontal/upward slope of the transom as I liked the angle better, but it's rounded and I couldn't comfortably mount it high enough to have the plate at a good retracted angle. Those extension brackets may have helped if I really wanted the actuator mounted there, but where it's located now is obviously working for Prostar, and mine runs up/down just fine, too.

I should have it in the water this week.

Does the switch have any kind of logic board built into it? Did you just bring power into the switch and depending on which way the switch is activated it just sends power to the actuator (up or down)?

D. Newland
09-28-2015, 03:17 PM
I doubt there is a logic board in the switch, but it does require (and has) it's own +/- wiring, as well as a Deutsch connector for the actuator. I used a Lenco 14' Duetsch harness extension as well. It was all plug n play.

cookster22
09-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Newland--looks awesome! I want to do this to my '04 X-30. Do you mind posting your parts list?

rgardjr1
09-28-2015, 04:00 PM
I doubt there is a logic board in the switch, but it does require (and has) it's own +/- wiring, as well as a Deutsch connector for the actuator. I used a Lenco 14' Duetsch harness extension as well. It was all plug n play.

I think I understand now. You hook up +12V and ground to switch and there is a Deutsch connector pig-tailed out of the switch that connects to actuator with an extension.

D. Newland
09-28-2015, 04:33 PM
That's correct.

Lenco XDS 101 Short (shorty) actuator. You also need to buy the top mount separately. Any local boat shop should have the mount.
Take-off wakeplate from a late model X-Star I found on EBay. 9 degree bends at each end of the hinge, relief cut the trailing edge first, bend then re-weld.
Lenco Airboat single switch 15095-001
14' Lenco wiring harness extension. The actuator has 6' of wire as well.
3M 4200.
Misc stainless steel screws better sorted out when you buy the wakeplate and check transom thickness.

D. Newland
10-12-2015, 02:45 PM
2 outings now w/this and it's been doing everything it should. Hole shot now has zero bow rise, and takes much less throttle to get it up to speed. More ride attitude control while cruising. I'm even getting a better surf wave, but I keep the wake plate up completely. I do have it installed where the plate's trailing edge is 1 inch above the hull line, but it may be still be having an effect on the boat's attitude at surf speed.

cookster22
10-12-2015, 09:53 PM
2 outings now w/this and it's been doing everything it should. Hole shot now has zero bow rise, and takes much less throttle to get it up to speed. More ride attitude control while cruising. I'm even getting a better surf wave, but I keep the wake plate up completely. I do have it installed where the plate's trailing edge is 1 inch above the hull line, but it may be still be having an effect on the boat's attitude at surf speed.

Newland--thanks for the report.

One question-- What is it doing to your ski wake....at 31+ mph?

D. Newland
10-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Not sure yet. I ski'd the boat @ 32 earlier in the season, but haven't done it since then. I'll see if I can get a couple shots next time out of the wake at that speed.

rgardjr1
11-24-2015, 02:44 PM
I thought I'd add an update to this thread as I just went through the process of acquiring parts to install the attitude adjust plate on my boat. As mentioned earlier the Lenco control box has been discontinued and has been replaced with a new model. When I called Lenco I was told that it would be compatible with an analog gauge, but "may not be as accurate" as the old control box. My impression from my conversation with the Lenco employee is that she didn't really know, but wouldn't admit it. I sourced my parts from multiple places, but you can get everything you need from 3 places. Your preferred Mastercraft dealer, Master Repair Inc and Great Lakes Skipper.

Mastercraft Dealer Parts:
Lower Bracket M/C PN 530062 - Qty 2
Upper Mounting Bracket M/C PN 560060 - Qty 1 If you don't have a flat transom like my X-2-Otherwise use the Lenco mounting bracket
Trim Tab Plate Only M/C PN 559047-1

Master Repair Parts:
Control Box Lenco PN 30074-001D - Qty 1 Remember this may not work with an analog gauge
Control Box Wiring Harness Lenco PN 30049-004 - Qty 1
Actuator Lenco PN 15057-001 - Qty 1
20' Actuator Extention Wiring harness Lenco PN 30133-103 - Qty 1
Place orders with Rose (772)220-7777 http://masterrepairinc.com/

Great Lake Skipper Parts:
Beede Trim Tab Gauge Great Lakes Skipper Part #1013390--1GG3- Qty 1 Listed as an OMC / SUZUKI part
Switch, Rocker M/C PN 509609 - Qty 1
Mounting Plate Trim Tab Gauge & Switch M/C PN 530052 - Qty 1
Place orders through website http://greatlakesskipper.com/ or Ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Lakes-Skipper

I've listed parts that are required to do an install as the factory would have done in 2006/2007. I believe that the analog gauge was eliminated in 2008 and the BIG display was used instead. I noticed that the switch listed above has an additional output that could be used to trigger the BIG display when the switch is activated. I'm attaching the Beede wiring diagram for the analog gauge.

The single most expensive part in the install is the wake plate. I could not find a generic Lenco trim tab that was similar in size to the ones used on the Mastercraft boats. I was able to find a Bennett trim tab that was 24 x 9. My only concern with this tab is the hinge. Bennett integrates their hinges into the tab itself. The part of the hinge that mounts to the transom would need to be cut down to fit between the exhaust ports and I'm not sure how this would impact the strength of the hinge. Bottom line is the MC trim tab through a dealer is around $630 where the Bennett tab can be had for $115. Probably worth the extra fabrication to save some money here.

bturner2
11-25-2015, 08:23 AM
So what did you have into this total?

rgardjr1
11-25-2015, 01:51 PM
So what did you have into this total?

I have around $950 in parts. I was able to buy a take off trim tab here on the forums for $150 which saved me $450-$500 vs buying through dealer. I spent $250 on Ebay for the control box which is around $330 so add another $80 onto my parts bill if you want to install it entirely like MC would.

If you can make the Bennett tab work and leave out the gauge and control box you can save some money. I believe the control box only adds the output for the gauge and the auto up when the ignition is turned off. If you can live without those then you can wire the actuator up with relays or with the Airboat switch mentioned earlier.

The actuator and extension harness are around $230, MC mounting brackets $100, and the Bennett trim plate $120. A switch, relays and fuse $75. There might be some money in having some welding done on the Bennett plate to make it work.

rgardjr1
11-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Progress pic:

bturner2
12-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I like it!

rgardjr1
02-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Finished installing the gauge and switch yesterday. I had planned on installing it in the factory location where I had previously installed my Wetsound 420 EQ. The hole that I made in the dash was going to make it difficult to get the two top screws in the plate and still completely cover the entire hole. I decided to remove the factory compass and install the trim gauge in that spot. Install was easier than expected when I discovered that the factory had provided wiring. I had to install two Deutsch connectors on the harness for the control box for the switch and the power out to the actuator. The rest of the wires on the harness plugged into the factory wiring. The switch got connected to the power and ground bus bars on the back side of the helm. I didn't have room on the back side of the helm to mount the Lenco control box so it ended up mounted up high on the driver's kick panel. The switch was mounted in the shower spot. This spot was being used for a power rope winder that was taken out of service when the new tower was installed. The best part is that now the the tab goes up and down and the gauge works correctly. Let me know if you have questions about this project.

81SNS
02-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Has anyone added a tab to a 08' model and made it work with the VDIG, or know if it could be incorporated into it?

rgardjr1
02-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Has anyone added a tab to a 08' model and made it work with the VDIG, or know if it could be incorporated into it?

You might try digging around behind the helm or under the dash to see if you can find a factory center tab harness. I think I read that the VDIG switches to display the trim tab information when the switch is engaged. The Lenco control box has a single wire that outputs the tab position information. If the wiring is there my guess is that once everything was connected it VDIG display would work.

rgardjr1
02-17-2016, 07:29 PM
I just looked at the attached installation pdf and it shows the large plug for the Lenco box being pre-wired in the newer boats. Looks like most of the work would be mounting the Tab and Actuator. The switch just gets wired into the lugs on the back side of the helm. Mostly plug and play on the 2007 and up boats if the factory installed the big plug for the Lenco control box.