PDA

View Full Version : Lenco Trim Tab install on 2002 X-30

prostar205
03-04-2011, 01:39 PM
One of my big projects during this winter was to add the 2011 Lenco Trim Tab to my 2002 X-30. Let me tell you it is alot harder than people make it out to be especially when trying to add the tab's position gauge. I want to thank everyone a Northwest Watersports in Issaquah for working with me on getting all the necessary items along with Lenco who provided excellent technical support. The install is not completed yet but I decided to start posting what I have done so far so people could get an idea of how big this job is. I've started a parts list to make it alot easier for others looking to do the same thing. Identifying and gathering all the correct parts has been the most difficult part of this project.

Anyway, here's the parts list complete with some pics.

M/C PN 530062 Lower Bracket - Qty 2
M/C PN 500438 Trim Tab Gauge Pigtail - Qty 1
M/C PN 506880 Beebe Trim Tab Gauge - Qty 1
M/C PN 559014 (Lenco PN 30074-001) Control Box - Qty 1
Lenco PN 30049-004 Control Box Wiring Harness - Qty 1
Lenco PN 20609-021 Trim Tab Blade - Qty 1
Lenco PN 15057-001 Actuator - Qty 1
Lenco PN 30133-103 20' Actuator Extention Wiring harness - Qty 1
Lenco PN 15095-001 Switch, Rocker - Qty 1
Lenco PN 50015-001 Upper Mounting Bracket - Qty 1

The only real modification we've had to do to make the tab fit is to fabricate a plate that bolts to the transom under the drain plug to get the blade to fit up far enough so it doesn't drag below the profile of the hull.

Here are the only pictures I have so far - unfortunately, none of the actual install but those are coming.

Please let me know if you have questions, I feel pretty much like a subject matter expert on this by now.

prostar205
03-23-2011, 12:59 AM
The gauge is in and working. So far the trim tab is working like it should. More pics coming soon. I won't have it de-winterized for a couple more months - early May.

prostar205
03-24-2011, 02:39 PM
As promised, PICTURES. Not many now but I get the boat back today or tomorrow. These are from my installer. He did a great job. Let me know your thoughts.

Sodar
03-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Been holding off to respond until pics got posted, but it is looking great!

What type of Underwater Lights are those? They new too?

prostar205
03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Yes, the LEDs are new. Don't know the manufacturer of the LEDs but I'll find out. My installer says they throw some serious light.

I also ripped out the entire ballast system and had it re-designed. Pictures of that project will be up as well. I've got a seperate thread going for that project too.

Lastly, I'm making new tower feet pads as soon as I get the boat back from my installer and back on my lift.

prostar205
03-25-2011, 07:17 PM
What type of Underwater Lights are those? They new too?

The LEDs are from Lumitec Lighting out of Delray Beach, FL. They are the SeaBlaze 3 white units.

ahhudgins
03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
I will be watching this thread. I had planned on doing an install this winter on my Maristar 200 but I just didn't feel like doing the work in the winter with no garage. Look forward to more pictures!

prostar205
03-25-2011, 08:17 PM
FINALLY - the pictures!!!! Got the boat back today and it looks GREAT. I am so exicted to get out on the water. For now, I had to just take getting it back on the lift after being in the shop for 3 months = free heated dry storage.

brucemac
03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
just wanted to say nice upgrade!

prostar205
03-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks.

The LED are new too.

I also ripped the entire ballast system out and started new. I'll be updating that thread here soon.

Sodar
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Looks Great! Totally factory. That is odd how they got around not using a shorter actuator.

Does that gauge say Deede?

prostar205
03-25-2011, 08:29 PM
It reads Beede. They are in Penacook, NH. It matches the Medallion gauges about 95%.

brucemac
03-25-2011, 08:30 PM
who did the install and custom fab work prostar205, pm me if you'd prefer

Sodar
03-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Guess I should learn to read :o

prostar205
03-25-2011, 08:36 PM
who did the install and custom fab work prostar205, pm me if you'd prefer

Bruce -

Shane at Divine Marine (www.divinemarine.com) in Mill Creek, WA did all the work. He did a great job. The custom fab work they had to do was the plate that the trim tab mounts to to be able to mount it up as high as possible to clear the rear drain plug and the custom bending (and rewelding) of the SS tab.

Everything else I supplied. Identifing the correct brain box, gauge and wiring harnesses was the most difficult part of this install.

Feel free to ask all the questions you guys (and gals) want.

prostar205
03-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Guess I should learn to read :o

No worries. It's realy hard to see at the angle I took the picture. The gauge is out of of 2005-2007 X-45.

ShamrockIV
04-20-2011, 05:40 PM
looks great!! i have the same year and model and i am looking at surf tabs. why did u just do the trim tab? thanks and the upgrade looks awesome!!

prostar205
04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
looks great!! i have the same year and model and i am looking at surf tabs. why did u just do the trim tab? thanks and the upgrade looks awesome!!

I only did the trim tab to decrease the porpoising of the boat. With the L-18 engine in the boat, it's a little more rearend heavy than other X-30s with small block engines. I may to surf tabs down the road.

rspiecha
04-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Is the posterior of a 2005 X-10 the same as your boat's posterior??? I really like how yours turned out. Where did you order the parts, directly from Lenco and Mastercraft dealership????

Thanks

Rob

prostar205
04-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Is the posterior of a 2005 X-10 the same as your boat's posterior??? I really like how yours turned out. Where did you order the parts, directly from Lenco and Mastercraft dealership????

Thanks

Rob

I think the profile of the stern is very close between our years. As for where I got the parts, it was half and half.

I got the following parts from a Lenco distributor, Master Repair. They are literally 2 blocks from the Lenco factory in Florida.

> Control Box
> Trim Tab Blade
> Actuator
> Control Box wiring harness
> 20' Extension wiring harness
> Upper actuator bracket
> Switch, Rocker

From my MasterCraft dealer, I got these parts:

> Guage
> Guage wiring harness
> Lower actuator bracket

prostar205
05-21-2011, 03:27 AM
I finally got the boat out this evening to try out the trim tab. All I can say is WOW!!! It's like I have a new new boat. It slices thru the waves and almost no porpoising. Dare I say the wake appears to be almost "skiable" - this coming from a person that has only skied behind direct drive tournament approved boats. I am very existed about this upgrade.

Now on to the ballast fill and empty times with my new ballast system (separate threads for that one).

mastercraft06x2
12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I am looking to install a trim tab just wondering what you paid for it / did you buy yours from an MC dealer?

FINALLY - the pictures!!!! Got the boat back today and it looks GREAT. I am so exicted to get out on the water. For now, I had to just take getting it back on the lift after being in the shop for 3 months = free heated dry storage.

prostar205
12-06-2011, 07:23 PM
I am looking to install a trim tab just wondering what you paid for it / did you buy yours from an MC dealer?

The total price was around $1,000 in parts and $600 in labor. The parts included the guage and seperate computer to run the gauge. I bought most of the stuff directly from Lenco in Florida. A few items where purchased from my local MC dealer like the guage and some small system specific wiring harnesses. Please let me know if you want more info. You can always call me on my cell at (206) 595-2788 to discuss real time.

It was the greatest thing I've added to the boat in the 7 years I've owned.

JLMONTANA
08-27-2012, 12:50 PM
The installation looks fantastic. Just a quick question if you have a minute: does the installation add to the overall length of the boat (for storage purposes, my garage has little room to spare for my X10).

prostar205
08-27-2012, 12:53 PM
The trim tab doesn't extend as far as the swimdeck. If you take your swimdeck off to get the X-10 in your garage, the tab will add about 1 foot to the overall length of the boat. However, that is easily cured by pulling the pin on the actuator that holds it to the blade thus allowing the blade to swing down vertically and taking it out of the overall length calculation.

rspiecha
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Hey prostar205, your part list at the top of this thread complete with all parts needed for this install??? I'm going to start trying to find the parts and get this installed for my winter project for the boat.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob

prostar205
08-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Yes, my first post has everything you'll need to do this install except the pigtail in the second photo. My installer did not use that for some reason. I think it went between the tab's brain box and the guage. The only other thing is to make sure you understand wiring especially if you're going to install the position gauge and brain box. If you don't want to guage the install turns really cheap and very easy.

Lastly, you'll need to find a machine shop to make you a plate to offset the tab from the hull.

Saluki Skiers
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Very Nice Mod!!! Were 230vrs owners and ive been considering this very mod and your photos are just what ive been searching for. How did the boat perform after? I like the LED's as well!

Saluki Skiers
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Sorry about that. I failed to see your comment about the performance change above. New member, so my bad. Thank you for including the entire parts lost above. Thats greatly appreciated! Now off to gather the parts! Thanks again! Seth

prostar205
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Any time. Feel free to "pick my brain" with any question(s) regarding the install or parts.

Saluki Skiers
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Hey prostar205, do you by chance have any technical drawings or expanded parts list for the trim tab its self? I'm gonna make the tab (maybe) in my family machine shop (cnc) and if I had drawings/measurements and any things you'd do different to the tab let me know as Id have the opportunity to add or delete or modify. your install looks great!!