PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer in 93 Prostar?

shocker47
03-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking to put a subwoofer in my prostar 205. I like bass.. Where would be the best place to put one? I was thinking under the dash by the feet? or under the passenger compartment or even in the front under the storage? what would be the best place and the best noise?
Thanks

east tx skier
03-04-2011, 01:13 AM
I'd say pull out the kickboard and put a box between it and the bow storage (can't remember how much room is up there). Have the front of the box look like a new kickboard. Under the observer seat is pretty cramped in that era of 205. Of course, since you can't get a ski under there, it might not be a bad place for a sub if you vented that area in the wall of the walk through.

Double D
03-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I have the 94 205 and I am putting my sub in a down firing box in the storage behind the observer seat. I am doing it there based on my brothers professionally installed stereo setup has the sub in the same place in his 04 206 CC. You can feel it....

east tx skier
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I can't remember, is that area vented to the port side of the observer seat? That sub is going to sound a lot better if there is some way for the sound to resonate into the cabin from that closed compartment, even if the sub is down firing.

Cguse13
03-04-2011, 10:24 AM
this is what i did, color match of carpet looks more off because of flash than it looks in person.. its close but not perfect. sounds great, will vibrate the whole boat.

shocker47
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
how did you take the kick panel off? and what kind of subwoofer and amp are you running?

etduc
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
how did you take the kick panel off? and what kind of subwoofer and amp are you running?

In a 93-95 205, there two or three stainless screws.

Cguse13
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
etduc is right they where just a couple skrews burried in the carpet...exact model sub and amp couldnt tell ya but its a kicker amp and obviously a infinity sub ..12 inch

shocker47
03-04-2011, 05:15 PM
how's the sound? and how far did the box go in? total depth of box. Also, how is the leg room?

east tx skier
03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
The available depth in a 93 is going to be a bit less than in that 96 or newer 205. The bow compartment is not connected on the 93 IIRC.

1985 Skiier
03-04-2011, 07:31 PM
The quality of the enclosure is everything when it comes to sound (BASS). Be sure your box has the right amount of air space. It looks like the box in the picture above is small, but it could be the angle. Remember too much power is always better. The install looks great though. Just don't kick it.

EarmarkMarine
03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Under the driver's helm with a direct-radiating subwoofer is definitely the way to go if you have a boat with the space. Its much better than trying to vent out of a locker or compartment which always creates losses.
Start by determining the amount of depth and space you are willing to sacrifice relating to the foot/legroom. Once you've established the maximum enclosure displacement, decide which size of woofer is optimum for that particular displacement. Two 8"s might consume the same space and collectively have similar surface area to a single 10" for example, but may offer an enclosure shape that is a better fit. A 10" bass-reflex may have more ouput than a sealed 12" for example in the same size enclosure. Again, the boat will usually dictate the maximum enclosure and the enclosure will dictate the optimum woofer selection.
A woofer and its enclosure form a tuned circuit of sorts. The right match is key. Forcing a large woofer in a box that is undersized produces poor sound quality. Certainly the inverse produces poor quality also. Most good woofers offer detailed parameters for enclosure selection and usually provide optimum recommendations.
You would be surprised as to how many people choose the woofer first and then figure out a way to fit it in.

David
Earmark Marine

shocker47
03-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Sounds like a great project. Right now I'm replacing all the speakers and amping them and getting tower speakers and a new head unit. Also installing two batteries.

etduc
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM
The available depth in a 93 is going to be a bit less than in that 96 or newer 205. The bow compartment is not connected on the 93 IIRC.

On the 94 205, there is an alumimun brace behind the kick panel. (Both sides.) The brace would prohibit a tuned box of any size or depth, on the drivers side, if you want to actually want to drive the boat. I recommend taking measurements, before buying a large speaker, if your intent is to install on drivers side.

Gwojcik7
11-23-2014, 06:07 PM
I have a 1995 prostar 205. What do you guys think of putting a woofer on the sidewall leading up to the open bow? In other words the sub would come through under steering wheel.

bsloop
11-24-2014, 12:04 AM
The kick panel will have better sound because it will not be reflecting off the opposing walkway.
Kick panel is also easier and less intrusive, with the potential for larger surface area.
Why make life more difficult than it has to be?

Gwojcik7
11-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Well I have my amp mounted there right now. Also there is a large bar that runs across that area under the steerling wheel and am unsure if it will fit without making a custom box.

Gwojcik7
11-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Is there another way to mount under the steering wheel without a custom box? I'm just thinking installing it in that side panel would be pretty straight forward; cut the hole and secure right? I definitely get what your saying about the sound not carrying as well though.

cbryan70
11-25-2014, 10:10 AM
I was able to crab a 8 inch 250 watt bazooka sub under there mounted as tight as I could get it then zip tied to the bar as well. I also was able to cram a 4 channel soundstream amp under there and 2 distribution box's. It sounds good. I lost about 4 inches of foot space. I still need to remake the kickplate under there but the factory one is under there now. All i had to do was ad a a 2 by 2 to the bottom of the kickplate to mount it.

Gwojcik7
11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I have a bazooka under the observers seat now but I am not happy with it at all. My speakers completely drown it out. That's why I'm hoping to squeeze in a 10" sub.

1988 Prostar
11-25-2014, 11:05 AM
I'd say pull out the kickboard and put a box between it and the bow storage (can't remember how much room is up there). Have the front of the box look like a new kickboard. Under the observer seat is pretty cramped in that era of 205. Of course, since you can't get a ski under there, it might not be a bad place for a sub if you vented that area in the wall of the walk through.

Thats where i have mine its a perfect spot

cbryan70
11-25-2014, 01:17 PM
no way you could fit a 10 inch under the drivers helm. the 8 inch does fine under there. Not ear rattling bass but rounds the system out nice. Could always cut a hole in the walkway and throw in infinite baffle speaker there.

TN Barefooter
11-26-2014, 09:50 AM
I have the 94 205 and I am putting my sub in a down firing box in the storage behind the observer seat. I am doing it there based on my brothers professionally installed stereo setup has the sub in the same place in his 04 206 CC. You can feel it....
that's where my sub was set up in 96 PS190 and it sounded great.

Gwojcik7
12-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I've decided to go the route of mounting the sub under the steering wheel. Two questions- what did you guys use to secure the box to that area? Also where do you find the matching carpet?

Gwojcik7
12-13-2014, 09:31 AM
^^^^^^

bsloop
12-16-2014, 12:36 PM
I've decided to go the route of mounting the sub under the steering wheel. Two questions- what did you guys use to secure the box to that area? Also where do you find the matching carpet?

Glad you are not trying to reinvent the sub placement ;)

How to secure the box depends on the enclosure. For a custom enclosure, many will build it into the kick panel so it is all one unit.
Did you find a prefab box and are just mounting it in place of the kick panel? Angle aluminum looks cleaner or super cheap, screw a 2x2 to the floor and horizontal into the box. Don't do it on the sides unless you are very sure of the backing and how far a screw would penetrate.
You could also mount the box behind the kick panel, cut a hole, use rubber gasket to reduce any vibration between the surfaces? Chalk out the hole slightly larger on the carpet, cut carpet into 12th (like a pie) and peel back the carpet. Once the hole is cut in the board only, the carpet can be wrapped around, covering all exposed wood prior to mounting the box.
Honestly need more info.

As for wrapping a box in carpet, color can vary significantly from one run to another even within the same company. Grey is especially bad about this. What color are you trying to "match"?
Personally, unless this is some kind of high end or overall esthetics competition grade install (which this is not) try to find a marine or indoor/outdoor rated carpet with unified backing and be done with it. The shadows of being under the dash will not show significant differences unlike if you just threw a patch in the middle of the floor.

If someone wants to get that close and be picky about your boat. 1) step on their neck while they are down there 2) they can swim back (or be dropped off at the nearest dock if you are feeling extra kind) :D

rydog
12-16-2014, 01:29 PM
For my under the steering wheel install on my 02 star, I mounted the box behind the kick panel on a block to raise the height to where I wanted. Re-cut the kick panel hole cut out/carpeting (I went from 10" to 12"). The new hole in the kick panel matched the outside dimension of the sub face. Then I actually screwed the kick panel into the front of the subwoofer box, and added a generic grill over it all.

93Prostar190
12-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Under the driver helm with a solid 8" will be great. Easy installation as well.