PDA

View Full Version : Great idea for securing bumpers for tieing up or docking...

03geetee
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Going to get these for my boat and leave them on my bumpers I keep inside just incase I ever need to dock somewhere or tie up to another boat. What a nice idea for boats without cleats.

https://www.buytiepods.com/index.dtm?token=9060

JTR

ahhudgins
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Make you let us know how they work. Only one of my cleats is in a good spot for hanging a bumper, these would come in handy.

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Even with my 92 I never let anyone side tie and I never docked. I prefered to just hold the boat while at a dock and let my run in for whatever, drink, food, bathroom breaks.

I'd rather box anchor out and swim in. lol

At least this product shouldn't leave marks.

2RLAKE
03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
interesting concept ... would love to know how they work as we all tie up a lot in the afternoons

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I would never rely on a suction cup to secure my boat. Just sayin'

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Their website sounds like Billy Mays wrote the information

Double D
03-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Me either, but it could secure my bumper pads with them then tie off normally. Just sayin'... ;)

Let us know when they arrive so we know their legit.

bturner2
03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Going to get these for my boat and leave them on my bumpers I keep inside just incase I ever need to dock somewhere or tie up to another boat. What a nice idea for boats without cleats.

https://www.buytiepods.com/index.dtm?token=9060

JTR

That's you in the video isn't it.

east tx skier
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Even with my 92 I never let anyone side tie and I never docked. I prefered to just hold the boat while at a dock and let my run in for whatever, drink, food, bathroom breaks.

Here here!

I thought I saw something similar at Overtons a few years back, but I can't find it now.

hbomb
03-03-2011, 06:30 PM

that's a big 10/4............
knots come undone, suction caps fall off.........

these are a mini version of the caps glaziers use on their trucks to secure the sheets of glass to the A frame........ and when they are moving glass from truck and installing in buildings........
have also seen them used by building cleaners
issue would be I think...... a load is static........ a boat moves around making it susceptible to force?? if my physics serves me correctly>>>

TX.X-30 fan
03-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Here here!

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a boat eh boys??

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Well, no. I boat out in the lake. Docking is kind of secondary to any of the reasons I boat. Side tying is not the reason I boat, nor is docking.

Keeping my boat away from other boats or wooden docks just keeps it looking better longer. At some point I will sell it. Having damage because of docking, side tying is just one more reason to keep others away.

03geetee
03-03-2011, 07:06 PM

100% agree all I would use these for is holding a bumper because the object I was next to didnt have any or enough. Not for securing, thats what the d rings are for.

JTR

03geetee
03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
That's you in the video isn't it.

LOL! Doubt it or I would be on my mastercraft right now in FL next to my million dollar house.

JTR

DooSPX
03-03-2011, 07:26 PM
That was a Sully pitched product. That is why it seems like Billy wrote it, because sully did I'm sure.

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 07:28 PM

The more I think about it, I don't want my 50k beating up against anything. So 8p !

bobx1
03-03-2011, 07:33 PM
4 Tiepods
4 Bungees

Only $14.99??? How do they do that?

I am going to hold out until they throw in a Shamwow with that offer.

On the other hand, if they really work the way it is depicted in the video, then I may step up and send them some $$.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2011, 07:38 PM
100% agree all I would use these for is holding a bumper because the object I was next to didnt have any or enough. Not for securing, thats what the d rings are for.

JTR

I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. I meant I would be too worried the suction cup would fail and the attached bumper would no longer be properly positioned.

As I tell my son all the time.........listen to what I mean - not what I say!

hbomb
03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
or as I say...........
are your ears painted on!! hahah

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
or as I say...........
are your ears painted on!! hahah

Nice! I'm so gonna have to use that. :D

03geetee
03-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. I meant I would be too worried the suction cup would fail and the attached bumper would no longer be properly positioned.

As I tell my son all the time.........listen to what I mean - not what I say!

Ok here is what I am getting at...

For a temporary mooring of lets say 2hrs or less these things in theory are perfect. If I am docking her overnight for the weekend lets say I already have bumpers all along my dock so I dont need em. These would be just for those imprompt moments when you are like "**** I wish I had cleats just this once".

That's all!

JTR

TX.X-30 fan
03-03-2011, 08:29 PM
The more I think about it, I don't want my 50k beating up against anything. So 8p !

All I meant was some of the fun leaves boating when we are so worried about a spilled drink or trying up with friends to float. Hey I have told my boys don't get so much water in the boat............:rolleyes: I think maybe a rational mix of overly OCD boater and what he hell might be better. Its after all only a boat and boats are just stuff.

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 08:37 PM
All I meant was some of the fun leaves boating when we are so worried about a spilled drink or trying up with friends to float. Hey I have told my boys don't get so much water in the boat............:rolleyes: I think maybe a rational mix of overly OCD boater and what he hell might be better. Its after all only a boat and boats are just stuff.

I hear yeah!

But to float I want this route! As you can see it has room for many people and is no where near the boats.

I know it's a matter of having fun. After all the boats are just an avenue to have fun with family and friends.

CHEERS!

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/float.jpg

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/float2.jpg

east tx skier
03-03-2011, 08:38 PM

The purpose of your boat is to tie it up to another boat? Friggin' X-series! 8p

The purpose of my boat is to run up and down the slalom course and/or the river/bayou.

Stu, I know you're on Travis where there are more party coves than skiable water, save for the dirty Perd, which is great when there's enough water by the way. But here, it's pretty much the opposite. We do our thing on the water, cruise around for a while, and, when we're done, the boat goes on the lift or, if we have a full house, gets anchored off the dock and pulled in with the anchor buddy. No sandbars around here. Just stumps and gators. Not worth tying off on.

I don't worry about water in the boat or people standing on the platform by the way. :o

vrsc
11-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Ok here is what I am getting at...

For a temporary mooring of lets say 2hrs or less these things in theory are perfect. If I am docking her overnight for the weekend lets say I already have bumpers all along my dock so I dont need em. These would be just for those imprompt moments when you are like "**** I wish I had cleats just this once".

That's all!

JTR
How'd these work? I am in the need fo something like this since my boat doesnt have cleats or railing to tie a bumper onto. Would love to hear your opinion.
Thanks

carlsonwa
11-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I bought a few of these this summer at Menards, they sell them for $10 a pair. They work ok. but they are almost a little too large in diameter to find a flat enough surface.

I have a couple of these from the mastercraft dealership here;

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=12211&pdesc=Kwik_Tek_Fender_Straps_pair&str=suction+cup&merchID=4005

They work very well to the fiberglass and windshield for bumpers on the dock.

carlsonwa
11-08-2011, 09:44 AM
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww238/wayne_carlson/267329_748431247472_185100140_37807230_4044523_n.j pg

tph
11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Here here!

I thought I saw something similar at Overtons a few years back, but I can't find it now.

I think this may be it......