PDA

View Full Version : Pumpless "shower"?

Luv2Ski
03-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I would like to extend the season a bit this early spring by having a hot water available for filling wetsuits and warming up cold hands and feet. I don't see the need for a full blown shower and the added cost/maintenance of a pump.

I am wondering if I can just use the engines circulating pumps. I was contemplating tapping a cold line shortly after the raw water pump and a hot line off the heater supply hose. No doubt there will be plenty of pressure on the cold side, but I am not sure if the hot side will be sufficiently pressurized given the number of alternative passageways that water can take through the engine.

Has anybody tried this? I know flow will not be as good without the pump, but I am not sure I care.

If a pump is required, has anybody tired the SHURflo 1901-0013 Aqua King Mini 1.0 Pump? At $55 it is a good value. Seams like 1 GPM would be good enough for my use.

Thanks.... season is right around the corner!

vision
03-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Even with an external pump, unless you have a hot water reservoir, your will likely need to bump up the RPMs to deliver an adequate flow of hot water.

You could simply use a mixing manifold to adjust the level of hot and cold water into the shower line.

Luv2Ski
03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Yea, the mixing manifold was exactly what I was thinking too (actually planned on just using a garden hose 'Y'). I am just worried about whether I could mix the two temperatures to get a good output temp while maintaining a reasonable flow rate.

Seams like the higher pressure of the cold water could quickly overcome the hot water at a reasonable flow rate.

I might just have to give it a try and see what happens.

vision
03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I think your are correct. But, at higher RPMS and with the cold water restricted, I think it will work. You may just have to keep adjusting the levels depending on RPMs. Make sure to post some images and let us know how it works.

Jesus_Freak
03-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I would like to extend the season a bit this early spring by having a hot water available for filling wetsuits and warming up cold hands and feet. I don't see the need for a full blown shower and the added cost/maintenance of a pump.

I am wondering if I can just use the engines circulating pumps. I was contemplating tapping a cold line shortly after the raw water pump and a hot line off the heater supply hose. No doubt there will be plenty of pressure on the cold side, but I am not sure if the hot side will be sufficiently pressurized given the number of alternative passageways that water can take through the engine.

Has anybody tried this? I know flow will not be as good without the pump, but I am not sure I care.

If a pump is required, has anybody tired the SHURflo 1901-0013 Aqua King Mini 1.0 Pump? At $55 it is a good value. Seams like 1 GPM would be good enough for my use.

Interesting concept. I am not familiar with the cooling water circuit of your engine, but we can carry out a simple thought experiment. Your engine always pumps from cold to hot. The available static pressure will fall with increasing temperature. In other words, you have three general areas in which you can tap: 1) cold before the engine pumps (vacuum), 2) cold after the engine pumps (highest pressure), 3) warm after traveling through passages (lower pressure). That means that the warm supply to your shower rig would always be at a lower head than your cold supply. You could modulate the cold with a valve (or other orifice) as you suggest, but I imagine you would never be satisifed with the overall output. Perhaps if you were running with three 454s, you might get enough volume to run a shower, but not sure about a single 350 (or the like).

Even with a pump, I was rarely satisifed with the shower output of a retail system. As Vision said, definitely keep us posted.

JLeuck64
03-06-2011, 05:08 PM
This is what we use, don't laugh until you try it ;)

Seriously it will stay hot enough for several hours (too hot actually) we put gloves, dive hoods, socks, hands and feet in there and it helps a lot. We primarily ski in dry suits though so might not be what your looking for if you are a wetsuit only skier...

macattack
03-06-2011, 06:09 PM

I have HeaterCraft's shower unit which comes with a 2.5GPM pump. I wished it had more volume/stronger flow at engine idle, but it's adequate. Based on that, I do not think you will be satisfied with a 1GPM pump...mac

http://www.heatercraft.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=101SC

muskingumriverdocks
03-07-2011, 04:40 AM
We used a cooler too, filled camp shower bag(don'tknow prpoer name for it) with hot water and stuck it in the cooler.

Luv2Ski
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
The cooler/shower bag idea is a budget solution. To take it one step further, I could just T the heater line, fill the bag, add a little cold water from the lake, and away we go. That way there is no cooler taking up space and no worries about running out of water.

I also just found out that my friend who has a cabin and lets us swing by anytime is putting in a outdoor shower. That might be good enough to get us through so my motivation is decreasing.... Particularly since 2.5GPM is pushing it, I am really doubting the pump-less idea will work.