PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion on Tower

mpabreo
03-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Anyone experiencing this? Small spots of what I believe is salt water corrosion, on the tower, racks, and at tower leg screws. Even though I don't ride in salt water, I've found on other boating sites that this can happen to any boat. If so what do you guys use to remove? Typical metal cleaners don't even touch it.

I googled it and found a fishing boat forum that said Woody Wax worked the best. Anyone use that.

http://www.woody-wax.com/woody_wax_cpr_system.php

I was thinking of trying NeverDull. I have some 'salt-away' but not sure if that would work.

frosty
03-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Have you tried "Flitz" www.flitz-polish.com (http://www.flitz-polish.com)?
Try searching here for the word, there are a couple of threads about it.
Small tube $10 at ace hardware, We$t Marine carries it, also.

I would try this first, if it didn't work, I think at least it would help prevent spots in the future by helping to seal the pores in the aluminum.

The local fishing T-Top place here recommended Fine Bronze Wool (like steel wool, but...well, you know...) with baby oil...
Again, Ace hardware carries the Bronze Wool, I'm gonna leave you to your own sources for the baby oil.

The bronze wool should take off any spots, and is not supposed to damage the coating on the aluminum.

David

kenk
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I've used woodys with bronze wool for the alum tower of a grady white salt water boat...worked real well

mpabreo
03-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Picked up some woody wax, bronze wool, and some flitz. tried the woodys just a few mins ago on a small area. Worked great. Its just gonna take some time to go over all the detail on the tower and racks. Weekend job I guess. I may also apply the flitz after since that reads to be somewhat of a protectant. thanks guys.

venetrex
03-03-2011, 07:08 PM
That shouldn't be happening. The tower is anodized. It has a coating on it that is very very strong. Is it scratched in these areas. If you polish it you will take off the coating. I would contact mastercraft by design and get more info. They make the towers.

CantRepeat
03-03-2011, 07:12 PM
After you get it cleaned up, put some anti seeze on the screws and blots or what not. I bet the coating of that keeps the bad stuff away.

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/0000-Permatex-Anti-Seize-Lubricant---.jpg

rgardjr1
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
That shouldn't be happening. The tower is anodized. It has a coating on it that is very very strong. Is it scratched in these areas. If you polish it you will take off the coating. I would contact mastercraft by design and get more info. They make the towers.

I have seen similar corrosion on my tower-my boat spent the first 50 hours in salt water. The speaker cans and light pods had small white spots that had eaten through the anodizing. Not much you can do because you just end up polishing away the anodizing. At first I thought the speakers had a layer of clear coat on them until I read about them being anodized.

rjracin240
03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Here is alink to more information than you probably wanted,
http://1st-coating.com/corrosion_alloys.htm

In a nut shell you are probably seeing a white powder substance which is the first indication of corrosion on aluninum. The powder around the hardware is probably a esult of disimiliar metal corrosion. The best thing here is take screws out one at a time and put a insulator on it such as Mastinox ideally but doubtful you would be able to get it...so some sort of grease will help. For the other spots in the open parts wire brush to clean metal or with sandpaper if you need to be more agressive to get to clean metal. Insure you use a stainless wire brush.

Hope this helps out

TX.X-30 fan
03-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow, 2009 towers are rusting??? What is that 09 x45, 100,000?? I would not be happy.

mpabreo
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds like from reading these posts that I maybe should be upset about this. If so, you guys let me know and i'll take it up with my dealer. The boat is 2 yrs old in April. some areas are worse than others. the polished part of the tower forward arms show no pitting, salt residue, or corrosion. Its the smooth parts, couplers, rack assemblies, etc that show this. Ive kept speakersox on my speaker cans since I took ownership of the boat and they show much less, very little spots.

Keep the comments coming. I had assumed this was common...

Thanks.

Colorado X14er
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Flitz is a great product once your anodizing is ineffective. We use it on biz jets on the polished aluminum leading edges and engine inlets. Problem is that it will require regular maintenance. You get a black residue from the polishing that is easily removed with basic baking flour. A bit messy but eliminates the endless polishing. I am really hoping these towers do not require a bunch of polishing! Just bought my 2009 X14 and have yet to take delivery. Not much water in Colorado at the present moment. Cannot wait for late spring. Done my share of polishing, now I just fly them. Best of luck to you! OH, once polished you could apply glass wax, this helps lessen the frequency needed to keep aluminum looking bright. Also, with Flitz you can actually get them as shiny as chrome.