PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Resistor Help

will300
03-03-2011, 01:02 AM
I am replacing my coil and noticed that my ballast resistor was cracked. It had no wires or anything bolted to it. Can anyone post a picture of yours or tell me what hooks up to it. Thanks for all the help

Table Rocker
03-03-2011, 08:43 AM
If your ballast resistor was not hooked up and your boat would run, most likely your ignition has been changed to an electronic ignition and the resistor was not needed.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
If your ballast resistor was not hooked up and your boat would run, most likely your ignition has been changed to an electronic ignition and the resistor was not needed.

Thats not totally correct, the ballast resistor is not used for the distributor either for points ignition or electronic conversion, the ballast resistor is used for the ignition coil, so it does not overheat and fail, the engine would run in that mode but it will not for very long. Now there are some high performance coils out there that do NOT require an EXTERNAL ballast resistor such as the mallory 29219, 30450 or 29450. If you have the original coil or a stock replacement coil you will need to run a ballast resistor. The way my 89 ts indmar 351 is hooked up is purple wire from ignition switch coming out of wire loom to one side of resistor and the other terminal orange wire going to positive terminal of the coil and a black wire from negative side of coil to the distributor. Sorry I dont' know the resistance value of the ballast skidim can get you the right one or at least tell you the ohm value so you can goto napa to get one. Sorry can not take a picture right now boat is in garage with tower down hence can't open up engine box. hope this helps, you can private message me if you like and i can help you.