PDA

View Full Version : Bimini install gone bad!

Footin
07-16-2005, 01:04 PM
I received my bimini from coversearch last night and went to work on the install. I was drilling the holes for the mounting brackets on the bottom part of the side windows and BOOM, the side window shattered.

I thought for sure I had cleared the bottom of the glass but aparently not.

I took aprt the side windshield frame (that was alot of fun) and took it to a glass shop. The side glass is curved so they are going to try and order it. If they can't get it I will have plexiglass put in for now as I leaveing on vacation, with the boat, on Thursday.

Anybody have a driver side glass for a 1994 205? Ya I know, keep dreaming.....Gosh do I feel stupid right now!

Hoosier Bob
07-16-2005, 02:19 PM
I did the same thing on my 93. I was just below the glass but hit it none the less. Cleaned it out the best I could and so far no casualties. Every time I hit a wake I expect the windows to explode. I believe I cleaned out enough of the glass to keep that from happening. Let me know who has this glass and if it can be ordered. Just in case. It does look much cooler where I mounted the bimini. I can't believe the glass goes that deep. :uglyhamme I received my bimini from coversearch last night and went to work on the install. I was drilling the holes for the mounting brackets on the bottom part of the side windows and BOOM, the side window shattered.

I thought for sure I had cleared the bottom of the glass but aparently not.

I took aprt the side windshield frame (that was alot of fun) and took it to a glass shop. The side glass is curved so they are going to try and order it. If they can't get it I will have plexiglass put in for now as I leaveing on vacation, with the boat, on Thursday.

Anybody have a driver side glass for a 1994 205? Ya I know, keep dreaming.....Gosh do I feel stupid right now!

Leroy
07-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Duct tape and plastic too good for you guys?

Ouch, sorry to hear this, this is one of those BC tablet moments.

erkoehler
07-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Every once and awhile one will pop up on ebay!

T Scott
07-18-2005, 08:06 AM
I just had to order the curved passenger side glass for a 1995 PS 205 I am working on. (same hull as your 1994) Jim@BAWS.com ordered it for me from Taylor Glass. It is tempered, custom glass so it is not cheap!! It was drop shipped directly to my door and was a relatively easy install. Give Jim a call, he has always provided me with excellent service and fair prices. His # is 813-996-2297

I'm not telling you how I broke mine.... :noface:

Footin
07-18-2005, 08:25 AM
I just had to order the curved passenger side glass for a 1995 PS 205 I am working on. (same hull as your 1994) Jim@BAWS.com ordered it for me from Taylor Glass. It is tempered, custom glass so it is not cheap!! It was drop shipped directly to my door and was a relatively easy install. Give Jim a call, he has always provided me with excellent service and fair prices. His # is 813-996-2297

I'm not telling you how I broke mine.... :noface:

Approximatly how much are we talking for the glass?

T Scott
07-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Almost $500 :eek3:

Footin
07-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Was that for the large front window or the smaller side glass?

T Scott
07-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Passenger side.....curved section that runs just in front of the glove box. It is pricey because of the curve. If you broke the flat section on the side, I wouldn't think it would be difficult for a glass shop to put something together for you. Just make sure the tint of the glass is similar. I have seen some tempered glass with a green tint or a bluish tint. Good Luck!!

Footin
07-18-2005, 09:00 AM
I did break the small one on the side, not the front.

I took it to a glass shop and it is also curved very slightly. It seems to have a green tint.

captkidd
07-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Footin, hate to hear that. Were you mounting the brackets to the lower part of the frame (inside or outside?) instead of the top of the frame?

Kell
07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I just had a bimini installed and I wanted a strapless bimini attachement to the window frame like the newer models. However, on my 99 Maristar, the window frame is different than the newer models and thus would not allow a quick release mounts on the window frame do to the glass being so close to the mounting area. So I located a mount that I could use on the top of the window frame, had the installer remove the straps and replace with alum tubes. I had the same fear of shattering the window if I did this myself, so I had an upolstry boat shop do it. So you might consider these type of mounts as an alternative.

By the way, thanks to Rick S., I now have a bimini! :)

Footin
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I was mounting it on the lower part of the frame. After playing with it for a while I like that look better. I would like to kick myself in the butt for this decision now. Oh well, I my end up with plexiglass in there for now, I have to get it back together to leave on a ski vacation on Thursday.

I am very happy with the quality of the top, thanks for the info.
It was pretty easy to cut the one inch out of each pole for a good fit.

Footin
07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
I just had a bimini installed and I wanted a strapless bimini attachement to the window frame like the newer models. However, on my 99 Maristar, the window frame is different than the newer models and thus would not allow a quick release mounts on the window frame do to the glass being so close to the mounting area. So I located a mount that I could use on the top of the window frame, had the installer remove the straps and replace with alum tubes. I had the same fear of shattering the window if I did this myself, so I had an upolstry boat shop do it. So you might consider these type of mounts as an alternative.

Very clean install, looks great!

east tx skier
07-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Footin', I'm really sorry to hear that. I had mine done by my MC dealer, so it didn't occur to me to warn you of that eventuality. Sorry for your troubles.

Footin
07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks Doug, It sucks to be me right now, I am losing sleep over my stupidity!!!!!!

I guess I should keep this in perspective: I still have a great boat in beautiful condition, even if it will have plexiglass in side window.
I don't think my family or friends will say "boy this boat would be great if you did not have that plastic in the side in place of glass"

I will put it back together tomorrow with the plexigalss and start loading the boat for a wonderfull week of family fun and skiing!

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Relax! When mine finally blow out I will be out a grand as well! By the way it does look cooler you just need to drill a little lower next time! I still worry every time I go through one of the wakeboarder's wakes! I think my whole boat is going to explode! So far so good!Thanks Doug, It sucks to be me right now, I am losing sleep over my stupidity!!!!!!

I guess I should keep this in perspective: I still have a great boat in beautiful condition, even if it will have plexiglass in side window.
I don't think my family or friends will say "boy this boat would be great if you did not have that plastic in the side in place of glass"

I will put it back together tomorrow with the plexigalss and start loading the boat for a wonderfull week of family fun and skiing!

Footin
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Relax! When mine finally blow out I will be out a grand as well! By the way it does look cooler you just need to drill a little lower next time! I still worry every time I go through one of the wakeboarder's wakes! I think my whole boat is going to explode! So far so good!

Did you put anything in the frame for support of the windshield? Plexiglass? Or did your not break all the way out?

It concerns me as well about the curved windshield breaking.

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I drilled very low on the frame. I hit glass early and decided to cut the glass with a dremel. I believe I have enough cut away so the mounting screws are clear or barely hitting the glass. I have hit some huge wakes with no problem. I am concerned that if too close the glass will compress the foam and be resting entirely on the screw, and break. So far so good. Full year now. I began drilling and hit glass. I decided to use a smaller bit with the dremel to edge the glass out a bit. Then mount the bimini. I admit it looks very cool and travels extremely well. Good luck.QUOTE=Footin]Did you put anything in the frame for support of the windshield? Plexiglass? Or did your not break all the way out?

It concerns me as well about the curved windshield breaking.[/QUOTE]

Footin
07-20-2005, 01:24 PM
GOOD NEWS! I got the new glass and frame and it has been put in.

I called our buddy, Lex, at Rambo, he check with Mastercraft and they had one in stock.

I feel much better now and the boat is ready to leave on vacation tomorrow.

east tx skier
07-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Good news, indeed! Have fun on vacation.

Ryan
07-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Footin' that's great they had one in stock! I'm going to have to start using those guys.

BuoyChaser
05-18-2007, 10:25 PM

great looking bimini, i like the fact that you mounted this to the windshield frame rather than drilling holes in the fiberglass and mounting those stupid u clamps!!!

where did you get this one???

beatle78
05-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Footin how much was the replacement glass? And who are these Rambo guys?

BrianM
05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Footin how much was the replacement glass? And who are these Rambo guys?
Rambo Marine is a Mastercraft dealer out of Alabama. Great people and they seem to have quite a lot of old stock MC parts.www.rambomarine.com

Footin
05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
The replacement was about 250.00, overnite freight was another 100.00.

beatle78
06-04-2007, 08:41 PM
thanks BrianM... good to know!